Home Sports Talk
Options

You Heard it Here First: Cubs win 2006 World Series!!

Just a logical extension of the trend in the end of curses!! image

Comments

• Options
    Hope you are right, but don't think so. We had our chance in 2003, but fate was disrupted in a varierty of manners. Up 3-1, ended up losing the NLCS.

It could have been:

2003 - Cubs
    2004 - Red Sox
    2005 - White Sox

But not all is right with the world.

Remember these Chuck Norris Facts

1. When Chuck Norris does a pushup, he isn't lifting himself up, he's pushing the Earth down
    2. According to Einstein's theory of relativity, Chuck Norris can actually roundhouse kick you yesterday
    3. There are no such things as lesbians, just women who have not yet met Chuck Norris
  • Options
    Megatron, you have to go backwards:

1918 Red Sox (2004)

1917 White Sox (2005)

1908 Cubs (2006)

You see how this works now? image
  • Options
    I do see that, but as a Cubs fan, I don't know what winning is like. But then again, I hope coinhusker is correct!!!

1. When Chuck Norris does a pushup, he isn't lifting himself up, he's pushing the Earth down
    2. According to Einstein's theory of relativity, Chuck Norris can actually roundhouse kick you yesterday
    3. There are no such things as lesbians, just women who have not yet met Chuck Norris
  • Options
    CardsFanCardsFan Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭
    Nah, I heard on a show today St.Louis is changing their name to the CardsSox and we'll make it the third Sox in row.
  • Options
    Just change your name to the Pink Sox. Isn't that what you get when you mix the last two champions together?

• Options
    AxtellAxtell Posts: 10,037 ✭✭
    I get the feeling Cubs ownership is happy in their mediocrity, as they sell the same number of tickets whether or not they are successful on the field or not.

Why go out and spend hundreds of millions on payroll, when you can spend a fraction of that and still sell out every day?
  • Options

<< <i>I get the feeling Cubs ownership is happy in their mediocrity, as they sell the same number of tickets whether or not they are successful on the field or not.

Why go out and spend hundreds of millions on payroll, when you can spend a fraction of that and still sell out every day? >>

Axtell, I think I would have agreed with this comment if the Red Sox and White Sox were still without a championship. The best analogy I can use is my experience in grade school with pull ups. I could not (and still can't image) do any. However, I was somewhat content knowing that there were always a few others in class who could not do any as well. However, as these individuals starting doing pull ups, I became nervous and wanted to belong. It is somewhat of a herd mentality.

Same thing with the Cubs organization. It looks around and sees that the next team in line after it still won a World Series some 40 years after they won one. 40 YEARS!!!! So, it may now have to focus solely on winning to belong. Couple this with a notion that Cubs fans may know feel that their club is inferior to the other team in town, and things may change. Also, ESPN and the national outlets can help out by saying, "THE ONLY LOSERS REMAINING are the Cubs" and the pressure will be great to win.

However, if the Wrigley fans still pack the stadium, then some of that incentive is removed and Wrigley will continue to cash in on the gold mine, especially since its stock is in the dumpster.

Finally, spending money is not an issue for the Cubs. I believe it was number 8 or 9 in the league this year (right behind Seattle), but when you factor in what it paid Sosa to play in Baltimore, it was in the top 5. In other words, they spend money, but not necessarily in a wise way.

• Options
    Who has the next longest drought after the Cubs?
  • Options
    Cubs - 1908
    Indians - 1948
    Giants - 1954

• Options
    jaxxrjaxxr Posts: 1,258 ✭✭
    At least...
    The Giants and the Indians were in the World series quite recently...... 1945 for the Cubs !

As much as some might not like to admit it, Axtell may have it pretty much correct.

It's hard to get top management motivated when you can always count on support from the local fans, and your constant losing or bad breaks gains such a unique status or mystique concerning the ballclub, it becomes an "in" thing to do , to root for and go to Cubs' games regardles of the quality of the product they present.

Kind of a Catch-22 ? If they won a world championship, they would perhaps no longer be the "Cubbies" or pityfull darlings of the baseball world and lose that " I feel so sorry for them I'll support them" or "root for the underdog" feelings many have.

This aint no party,... this aint no disco,.. this aint no fooling around.
  • Options

<< <i> Kind of a Catch-22 ? If they won a world championship, they would perhaps no longer be the "Cubbies" or pityfull darlings of the baseball world and lose that " I feel so sorry for them I'll support them" or "root for the underdog" feelings many have.

image >>

Yes, indeed. Did the Red Sox sort of change once they won it all last year?

• Options
    AxtellAxtell Posts: 10,037 ✭✭

<< <i>
    Yes, indeed. Did the Red Sox sort of change once they won it all last year? >>

I think so...at least their fan base did a bit I think...i think you had a lot of people who tasted success who sort of expected it again, and were disappointed by their quick exit, and blamed the players (instead of management who let 2 of their starting rotation go).

Perhaps they'll (the players and fans) will be a bit more hungry this year...perhaps they need to bring in some new blood and excise the distractions (Manny I'm sorry, you're a terrific player but your weekly distractions are too much...goodbye) and renew the energy in beantown.
  • Options
    Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cubs are between a rock and a hard place with Wood & Prior; Crazy to trade them, but crazy to count on their health. Beckett & Zambrano would take them further than Wood & Prior will. It kills me to write that, as I am a Cubs season ticket holder. With Aramis Ramirez and Derek Lee, plus Maddux, and Neifi/Nomar and Todd Walker, they are "only an outfield away".

Hendry - if you are reading this, cut the check for Beckett! Please! How about Wood or Prior or both for Manny?
    Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options

<< <i>Hendry - if you are reading this, cut the check for Beckett! Please! How about Wood or Prior or both for Manny? >>

You sure Beckett is a free agent? Are you thinking of Burnett? If you do mean Beckett do the Cubs really want another stud pitcher who is not durable?
  • Options
    Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Burnett! Burnett! Sorry - must have been thinking about that darned NLCS - a thousand apologies!
    Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options
    No problem, I looked forever to find the status of Beckett's contract. Does anyone know a site that lists what a players current contract is and when it ends?

I'd rather not see the Cubs get Burnett, I wouldn't the Cards to have to face him that often.
  • Options
    Axtell, is correct, the owners of the Cubs don't give one darn about how they are perceived in terms of winning championships. They only care how they are perceived in earning money. They aren't baseball fan owners, they are corporate owners.

The tribune has much more money than Steinbrenner does, in fact, they may have more money than God. There is no reason why they should not be first in spending money. Nobody can rationalize how they are now fifth, because if you look at the last ten years you will see how really cheap they are. Then when you know what kind of crooks they are when they scalp their own tickets, they aren't any worse than the people scamming the people on Ebay. I rarely pay to see the Cubs for these reasons. When I go on a freebie pass, then I go.

The Cubs do have a strong base to work with, and yes, they did do some stupid moves. A few good pickups this winter and they could be the cream of the N.L.