Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

I have begun to buy darkside...

I started buying foreign silver of my birth year (1979) about two months ago. I've got a few pretty cool pieces. However, something unexpected happened to me a while back. I was looking through some foreign silver on ebay when I encountered one of the most beautiful coins I'll probably ever see - and it was cheap! 1947 Panama One Balboa. I paid less than $10 delivered. I think I'm hooked. Anybody know of any silver from 1979 that I MUST have for my birth year collection? I just got Krause, so I'm in for the long haul...

Comments

• Options
    SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭✭
    Silver from 1979 is more likely to be a commem, as the precious metal was replaced by clad coins in the 60s by pretty much everybody. There's an enormous choice of NCLT silver coins to choose from , and you might even find yourself attracted to a different metal.

Welcome to the forum, wonderful coin. image
    Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options
    1979 was the International Year of the Child, so there are about a million commems out there. Interestingly enough, there seem to be many coins struck in .500 fine silver in 1979. NCLT, commem or otherwise is fine with me. Silver + 1979 = needs to be in my collection.
  • Options
    theboz11theboz11 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭
    Here is a Silver beauty from the Year of the Child in Silver. New Hebrides Pn2 500 Francs .999 silver.

imageimage
  • Options
    1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭
    Welcome to the Dark, SS.

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • Options
    PreussenPreussen Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I started buying foreign silver of my birth year >>

Nice coin image. Welcome to the Darkside image - Preussen
    "Illegitimis non carborundum" -General Joseph Stilwell. See my auctions
  • Options
    AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭
    Welcome Satan!
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options
    Oh yeah, we gotcha!! That Panamanian is on of my absolute favorites too. Madmarty has some beautiful examples of that coin that he has posted here.
    Post often and share your finds!
    Shep
  • Options
    AuldFartteAuldFartte Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭✭
    image to the DARKSIDE, Scott. I love the Balboa image

My OmniCoin Collection
    My BankNoteBank Collection
    Tom, formerly in Albuquerque, NM.
  • Options
    1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Welcome Satan! >>

I"m glad you said it first!

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,216 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I just got Krause, so I'm in for the long haul... >>

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    Welcome satan another has seen the light of darkness. Great looking balboa.

Mark
  • Options
    Thanks to everybody for the friendly greeting! Boz, that's exactly the type of coin that originally got me going. Gem silver proofs with watery mirrors and thick frosted devices are appealing to just about everybody. Add to that fact the striking design of that piece. Are those easy to find?

At any rate, here are some of the coins I started with. I don't have anything of relative rarity, but the quality is high. I'm on the look out for a 1979 Cook Islands $1 (same type as MadMarty's avatar) if anyone knows where to find one.
    imageimage
    imageimage

#1 1979 Cuba 20 Pesos. Incredibly boring coin, but totally flawless.
    #2 1979 U.S.S.R. 1980 Olympics Shotput Commem
    #3 1979 Cook Islands $5 Proof
    #4 1979 Israel 50 Lirot Proof

The Shotput coin is definitely my favorite design so far.
  • Options
    theboz11theboz11 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭
    This is the only one I have ever seen, I purchased it from a dealer friend back in 1984. The mintage on it is 50.image Krause has them listed for $500, but you won't find any at that price.image
  • Options
    Bill

09/07/2006
  • Options
    wybritwybrit Posts: 6,953 ✭✭✭
    You might want to look out for a 1979 British maundy set. They are quite hard to get but do come up for sale every now and then.
    Former owner, Cambridge Gate collection.
  • Options
    Welcome, it looks like 1979 is a good year for collecting. I'm slowly building my birth year (1972) set. I started with proof sets but now I'll take anything that catches my eye! Such is the Darkside

Dr J
  • Options
    Boz, thanks for bringing a phontom coin to my attention! I'll be haunted now! I see myself spending years trying to locate an example of that coin and selling off pieces of my U.S. type set to get it! What have you done to me?!image

Wybrit, what exactly is a maundy set?

Drjules, what year is the Britania in your avatar pic?

Thanks folks! This place is waaaay more hospitable so far than the lightside forum. I think I'll keep that a secret...
  • Options
    This example is 1978 but it was also minted in 1979. I recently started collecting world silver crowns, nice collection since many examples can be had for < $10.

• Options
    I'm partial to these $2 Bahamas Flamingos. The other Bahamas silver coins are interesting, but the flamingoes stand out. Like many Franklin Mint issues, they can often be bought close to silver melt value. (Couldn't find a 1979, but they are out there.)

• Options
    skingspan and redtiger, both of these coins are now on my list. Nice pics!
  • Options
    wybritwybrit Posts: 6,953 ✭✭✭
    Wybrit, what exactly is a maundy set?

Link to Wikipedia
    Former owner, Cambridge Gate collection.
  • Options
    wildjagwildjag Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭
    This isn't silver, but it's from 1979 and has a cool design on the reverse.

Its a $100 .2778 oz agw gold from the Cook Islands, with mintage of only 3,367. Its graded as a 68 since there are a few breaks in the frost on the reverse image
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1979 is my second favorite date for type silver. (only 1980 tops it). Unfortunately
    there are pretty few circulating silver coins from this era. Some of the circulating
    base metal coins of '79 are quite desirable and scarce.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    Wybrit, maundy money is added to the list. Are these coins scarce?

Wildjag, beautiful coin! I like a lot of the designs on cook island coinage.