Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

What is the NBT (next big thing) for the numismatic industry?

2»

Comments

• Options
    cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,891 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bitcoin varieties.

You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.
  • Options
    mr1931Smr1931S Posts: 5,983 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A future TPG service might include them micro engraving an ID on the coin to help thwart counterfeiting.The engraving is very precise and it takes a high-power microscope,at least 100X,to see the micro ID.

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.-Albert Einstein

• Options
    dsessomdsessom Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
    High res TrueView images included with every coin graded (even re-grades to track how the appearance might change over time).
  • Options
    metalmeistermetalmeister Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    PCGS and NGC Taking out Chinese coin counterfeit factoriesimage
    email: ccacollectibles@yahoo.com

100% Positive BST transactions
  • Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,708 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Self grading holder (programmed by PCGS), coin in stasis (or vacuum) for preservation, PCGS price guide price displayed along with population data. Possibly latest auction data as well. A selling price slot for sales price input from owners computer feed would be available. An online site would link with the coin's URL to display an accurate photos along with all pertinent data uploaded. If the coin was listed in online auction all seller would need to do would input the slab number. These holders would sold in the office supplies section at your local Walgreens, Walmart, or coin shop / hobby mart for say 10 for $29.99 (2014 Dollars). All you would need to do is add the coins. Counterfeit coins would be rejected by the holder. Special label series (collectibles made during a certain year) would have an "In memory of" custom label associated with a well known dealer, collector, or investor who had passed away in the 20th or 21st century.
    So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    air4mdcair4mdc Posts: 825 ✭✭✭✭
    Gold coins no longer available from the mint.
  • Options
    FullStrikeFullStrike Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭
    The 1000 pt grading scale.

• Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,903 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ancient type ratings on Classic US coins, strike, surface, eye appeal etc.
  • Options
    PTVETTERPTVETTER Posts: 5,891 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It was nice seeing Bear's post.
    Brings back good memories
    Pat Vetter,Mercury Dime registry set,1938 Proof set registry,Pat & BJ Coins:724-325-7211

• Options
    CoinspongeCoinsponge Posts: 3,927 ✭✭✭
    I thought that someone hijacked Bear's identity until I noticed the date. Next big thing? 100 kilo silver coins. You got to admit it would be big. Or do they already have them?image
    Gold and silver are valuable but wisdom is priceless.
  • Options
    Coin FinderCoin Finder Posts: 6,969 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Apple coins!
  • Options
    FullStrikeFullStrike Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭
    Legal tender wooden nickels from Canada? Rainbow toned Coins fresh from the Canadian Mint? Life savers issued as Cents from
    the US Mint. Or better yet, Life Savers Mints from the US Mint. All wrapped up in certified plastic film.

• Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,849 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The whole TPG grading system will crash down around us because of MA grading practices.
    My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd say US coins for collectors that aren't round.

The baseball coin was pretty popular, one can imagine octagonal coins, rectangular (bar or ingot) shapes, ring shaped and other coins with holes or cutouts of various shapes

Also coming someday to a US mint near you, coins with holograms or other stickers or colorization process including anodized coins, two-tone (gold plated devices and lettering) or bimetallic coins (been done once, why not again?) a coin series in as many elements as they can coin (copper nickel, silver, and gold and platinum are fine, but there are a lot of other metals that will coin with engineering, too bad most of them are silvery though)

There's really not much reason, less and less, to collect old worn coins when perfect new ones are available

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    DollarAfterDollarDollarAfterDollar Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You guys are kidding yourselves if you think nothing "big" is on the horizon. The coin market today is driven by a few major factors but certainly the major TPG's play a big role. If people suddenly realize that the crap coming from the mint will never be worth much more than face value, the focus then HAS TO BE on existing coin supply.

New quality coins dated 1889 (as an example) will become fewer and fewer as the years march on. If just 1% get overdipped annually, that's a huge number.

I think the TPG's will have some market drivers in place when business slows. I think it will be some grading classification for un-original coins where suddenly they will gain some greater acceptability. Time will tell.
    If you do what you always did, you get what you always got.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file