Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

How many nice coins have been made unsalable by slabbing?

291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,945 ✭✭✭✭✭
I was at my local dealer this week and was looking at some of his slabbed gold. Two coins caught my eye; one was a very nice 1855 $1 gold in XF40 and the other was an equally nice 1874 VF20 $3 gold. Both coins were original and had very nice surfaces for the grade. Unfortunately, both of these nice coins were slabbed, by a major TPG, and were overgraded. The 1855 was slabbed as AU58 and the 1874 was slabbed as VF35. Sad because, if correctly graded, these coins would have been desirable and would have probably sold quickly. Being overgraded, I expect to see them in the case for a long, long time...unless the dealer discounts them to reflect the true grade.

All glory is fleeting.

Comments

• Options
    Sad to say but someone will come along and buy the plastic.
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,789 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think that there are countless branch mint gold coins that have been made unsalable by overgrading. According to John Maben when I asked him here, it was a sign of an efficient market that coins move to the highest grade holder possible.
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,444 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What grading service? Did you try to buy them at your grade?

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options

<< <i>What grading service? Did you try to buy them at your grade? >>

The "#2". I actually didn't try to buy them at all. They just attracted my attention because they were so nice and yet so overgraded.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You are a very conservative grader, it appears. And you also know the "true grade" better than the grading co.

I didn't know there were "true grades"

I thought grading was a matter of opinion

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    coinguy1coinguy1 Posts: 13,485

<< <i>Sad because, if correctly graded, these coins would have been desirable and would have probably sold quickly. Being overgraded, I expect to see them in the case for a long, long time...unless the dealer discounts them to reflect the true grade >>

In the absence if slabbing, the coins might very well have been over-graded and over-priced by the owner anyway, and unsaleable then too. I do agree, however, that having the coins certified usually raises the minimum price that a coin will be offered at and sold for.
  • Options

<< <i>You are a very conservative grader, it appears. And you also know the "true grade" better than the grading co.

I thought grading was a matter of opinion >>

Grading is a matter of opinion but I have been in the hobby since 1961 and have tired of grade inflation. If I want to see grade inflation all I have to do is go to a local show and look at the raw coins. I don't want to have to look at overgraded coins in "major" TPG slabs.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>You are a very conservative grader, it appears. And you also know the "true grade" better than the grading co.

Grading is a matter of opinion but I have been in the hobby since 1961 and have tired of grade inflation. If I want to see grade inflation all I have to do is go to a local show and look at the raw coins. I don't want to have to look at overgraded coins in "major" TPG slabs. >>

yes it is a matter of opinion. In my opinion, i bought a raw au 55 coin and sent it into anacs and it over graded by 3 points.
    i guess this coin will never sell because it is overgraded so much? it got back au58 but im' not selling it anyway
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,789 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In my opinion, i bought a raw au 55 coin and sent it into anacs and it over graded by 3 points.
    i guess this coin will never sell because it is overgraded so much?

The price spread between AU-55 and AU-58 in your coin is negligible. You will have no problem selling that coin when you choose to do so.
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,444 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't todays price guides reflect todays grading standards?

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

Grading is a matter of opinion but I have been in the hobby since 1961 and have tired of grade inflation. If I want to see grade inflation all I have to do is go to a local show and look at the raw coins. I don't want to have to look at overgraded coins in "major" TPG slabs. >>

yes it is a matter of opinion. In my opinion, i bought a raw au 55 coin and sent it into anacs and it over graded by 3 points.
    i guess this coin will never sell because it is overgraded so much? it got back au58 but im' not selling it anyway >>

Well, it won't sell for sure if you're not selling it. But it will sell if you ask the right price for it.

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • Options

<< <i> In my opinion, i bought a raw au 55 coin and sent it into anacs and it over graded by 3 points.
    i guess this coin will never sell because it is overgraded so much?

The price spread between AU-55 and AU-58 in your coin is negligible. You will have no problem selling that coin when you choose to do so. >>

thanks. i'll sell it when the demand for the coin is high

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file