Second image - TrueView by PCGS:

Comments

• Options
    jcpingjcping Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭
    No brainer image
    an SLQ and Ike dollars lover
  • Options
    Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭
    Sorry Shylock, but I think Phil has better equipment than you do (camera and lighting).
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • Options
    MacCrimmonMacCrimmon Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭
    The TrueView lighting is as perfectly balanced as I've seen. This can not be achieved in plastique due to the hazing caused by the bulbs and orientation of filaments required.

Even though it's a medal, I would dearly love for Phil to capture my Victorian Coronation medal....same type colours, but proof surfaces.
  • Options
    orevilleoreville Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Geez, TDN, I see what the heck you are talking about.

The Trueview pics are simply awesome.
    A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • Options
    bennybravobennybravo Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭
    I like Shylock's image better. The second image is also great, but a bit too "light blasted" IMHO.image
  • Options
    RegistryCoinRegistryCoin Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭✭
    I guess for an image of a coin #2 is cool, but if I were "in the market" for this particular coin, I'd prefer the real deal, #1.
    ps. flip-side: If I were eBaying the coin, putting the image in my registry, using it as an icon, or otherwise showing it off, I guess I'd use image #2.
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    I really can't decide between the two. They both give me wood.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    IrishMikeIrishMike Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭
    I like them both, but the second photo doesn't pick up the color on the grain stalks and misses it in some other places too including the motto.
  • Options
    jcpingjcping Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭
    > which picture is more accurate

Bruce showed me the coin last Feuruary in Long Beach. I would say image #2 is more accurate.
    an SLQ and Ike dollars lover
  • Options
    #2 for me..
    bruce scher
  • Options
    CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I voted #2, but when you hold the coin in your hand, which picture is more representative of real-life?

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

• Options
    michaelmichael Posts: 9,524 ✭✭
    shylocks is much more representative of the coin the second photo has a great neagtive in that it showsa washed out coin which i am sure the coin is not this kills the second image for me as it is not a true image

shylocks image is more true and the coin much better in person in my opinion

the second image is more fake looking and does not show the coin in a true light in fact the photo makes it look enhanced photoshoped

and this is not a good or bad thing but the first image of shylocks is a more true HONEST IMAGE and then when someone sees the coin sight seen in person then they love the coin forits true sight seen viewing and makes them like it more

whereas the second image will leave them disappointed when they view this coin in hand sight seen

• Options
    the lustre is absolutely satiny and amazing much more so with the shylock image the first one and this says it all about what the coin truly looks like if you have never seen it in person and you know anything about mintstate trades

• Options
    the second image makes the coin look fake/enhanced/questionable colorationimage
  • Options
    FairlanemanFairlaneman Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I just looked at the images again, but on a different monitor. This time, I prefer Shylock's images - I guess I just neutralized my first vote.image >>

Here is the whole problem with viewing pictures. Monitors are different. Shylocks looks best on my monitor. The True View is way to light and sort of washed out.

TDN which one is closest to the real look the coin has ?

Ken
  • Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,147 ✭✭✭✭✭
    TDN which one is closest to the real look the coin has ?

Dunno - never seen it raw. image

Seriously - I think I've only ever seen 2-3 of my coins raw. How would we know how they photograph in the nude?
  • Options
    RegistryCoinRegistryCoin Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭✭
    So, the darker image, the one that does clearly show the fingerprint and raw detail, and to me, looks "real", is a fake...
    And, the brightly lighted one that looks like a "new and improved model", is also a fake...
    Uh boy...image
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've looked at thousands of choice to gem mintstate silver coins of the 19th century over the past 30 years and it is obvious to me that the luster on photo #2 GLOWS! There is nothing washed out about its appearance. There is something unmistakeable about the glow of untouched luster under toning that I cannot discribe. But here it is. You see this type of luster very rarely on todays conserved crap.
    19th century MS68's or lower, that have been dipped do not have this glow. I'd be on someone's doorstep in a heartbeat if such a coin was being sold raw....and there were doubts about what to "grade" it. Just amazing. I can tell far more about the coin from photo 2. The fingerprint still shows and is totally a non-factor. Considering that nearly every gem seated coin was handled (and sometimes often) there are probably traces of prints on many more coins than you think.

The first coin is way too dark and gives the appearance of a deeply toned coin. The surfaces appear far more scuffy and marked in this lighting. If I were bidding just by the photo, #2 would appear 1-2 grades higher. I would grade the first coin MS65+ as it appears somewhat chattered. The 2nd photo shows the superb surfaces of a MS67 coin.

No brainer imo. #2. And when or if the coin ever sells, #2 would get you FAR more money, everytime by lining up the bidders.

roadrunner

Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    garsmithgarsmith Posts: 5,894 ✭✭
    I like obverse #2 and Reverse #1; so I Didn't vote.
  • Options
    PTVETTERPTVETTER Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like the look of the second one but, which represents the coin the best? with out the coin who knows??
    Pat Vetter,Mercury Dime registry set,1938 Proof set registry,Pat & BJ Coins:724-325-7211

• Options
    shylockshylock Posts: 4,288 ✭✭✭
    #2 hands down, especially the obverse. #2 is much more evenly lit -- maybe just a tad overlit, but if I were selling the coin this is the image I would want in the catalog. This is one of those coins that every image falls short of, it's so lustrous and dynamic looking in person, but #1 falls way short.

The only half decent pic I took was the full slab reverse. You get a better indication of the luster at a more realistic size & distance, and you also have the label color to gauge the color balance against.

• Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,147 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree with the person that said obverse of True View and reverse of Shylock. image
  • Options
    FairlanemanFairlaneman Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭✭✭

Any way you look at it this is a good looking coin.
  • Options
    TDN - you had your fun and I deserved it due to a previous post image

How about a rematch? You know I thought my 1876 obverse image was a dog. I cringed when I first saw it out of my camera and winced when you posted it here. I have to admit "Trueview" does a wonderful job. But there's something about that name that bugs me, it's so PCGS. Now they take the "truest" photos too? I'll get over that...

The only advantage I had over PCGS was you paid me better and let me enjoy the privilage of your wonderful company, which is priceless. The disadvantages I had were imaging through slabs, in a bank room under certain time constraints, using lights and a camera stand that had to be portable enough to carry 3000 miles. How about a rematch comparing 600 x 600 images of your 1877-S Trade Dollar?

• Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,294 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey, if your gonna have a rematch, you gotta have me hanging around, distracting you and asking questions, trying to learn.... image
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    Hey, if your gonna have a rematch, you gotta have me hanging around

Lakes - That was one of the advantages I forgot to mention image

But it also resulted in me being a little hungover for the last day in the bank room image
  • Options
    DMWJRDMWJR Posts: 5,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hands down, #2.

The lighting and contrast are supurb, along with the detail in #2.
    Doug