Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Delivery From NEN - Update

Does anyone remember that I recently posted this pic and said the coin was enroute from Northeast?

Well, it was shipped along with a Prussian 2 Mark, but today I received only the envelope and the invoice. The envelope was torn open and the contents were gone. Needless to say, I am disappointed beyond words. Of course it was insured, but that isn't the point, is it? - Preussen
"Illegitimis non carborundum" -General Joseph Stilwell. See my auctions

Comments

• sucks!image
    -Ryan-
  • Torn?!

My god, how on earth??? Must be coin from NEN are targetted... image
    List of my partial coin list: My Coin List
  • secondrepublicsecondrepublic Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭
    That really stinks.

Is this a really rare piece, or is it something you could probably replace without waiting years to find another one as nice?
    "Men who had never shown any ability to make or increase fortunes for themselves abounded in brilliant plans for creating and increasing wealth for the country at large." Fiat Money Inflation in France, Andrew Dickson White (1912)
  • PreussenPreussen Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭
    I don't want to jump to conclusions, but it seems obvious to me that the envelope was slit with a knife, then the envelope further torn to facilitate the removal of the "safe-t-mailer" containing the coins. - Preussen
  • image My sincere condolences.
    Brad Swain

World Coin & PM Collector
    My Coin Info Pages <> My All Experts Profile

<< <i>That really stinks.

Is this a really rare piece, or is it something you could probably replace without waiting years to find another one as nice? >>

Certainly not irreplaceable, but a very attractive MS66 example of one of my favorite coin designs. I paid $400 for it. Along with the (MS64) 2 Mark, the loss is $550. - Preussen
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭✭
    Sorry to hear that. Time to get a PO box perhaps?
    Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3

<< <i>Sorry to hear that. Time to get a PO box perhaps? >>

Dimitri: I use a PO Box exclusively for coin deliveries...have for years. - Preussen
  • MacCrimmonMacCrimmon Posts: 7,053 ✭✭✭
    Was it placed directly into your PO BOX or was the peach-colored signature slip required for you to receive the 'envelope'.

Let the Local Postmaster know you are going directly to the U.S. Postal Inspectors office....... i.e., this better not have occured under his nose.

• shirohniichanshirohniichan Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭
    Ouch! Sorry to hear about the loss.
    Obscurum per obscurius

<< <i>Was it placed directly into your PO BOX or was the peach-colored signature slip required for you to receive the 'envelope'.

Let the Local Postmaster know you are going directly to the U.S. Postal Inspectors office....... i.e., this better not have occured under his nose. >>

Delivery slip was in my box, as always, and I took it to the postal clerk who retrieved the envelope. All I can really do is file the claim, get my money back & hope it doesn't happen again. - Preussen
  • Too Bad That Truly Sucks

Mark
  • MSD61MSD61 Posts: 3,382
    Gosh Preussen that is terrible news! I am so sorry to hear about thisimage
  • coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    that really stinks...

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Kurt4Kurt4 Posts: 492 ✭✭
    That totally stinks.
  • wybritwybrit Posts: 6,953 ✭✭✭
    Outrageous. I hope they find the thieves.
    Former owner, Cambridge Gate collection.
    In case anyone is interested, I spoke with a Postal Inspector this morning (geez, the Post Office sure doesn't make that easy) and he indicated he was very interested in investigating my loss. I'll probably never see the coins, but catching the thief (although a very slim chance) certainly would be sweet. - Preussen
  • ajaanajaan Posts: 17,108 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is it possible the theft happened in Boston? Maybe NEN should contact their PO.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • I pray that things go well.
    List of my partial coin list: My Coin List

<< <i>Is it possible the theft happened in Boston? Maybe NEN should contact their PO. >>

We'll probably never know what happened, but I suppose there is always a chance the postal inspectors might get lucky. I've informed NEN of the loss, but I don't know that they plan to take any action other than processing the the insurance claim. There is probably nothing they CAN do.

Thanks everyone for the kind comments. - Preussen
  • nicholasz219nicholasz219 Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭
    Pruessen,

Did you read the article in CoinWorld about a month ago where there was a postal worker or courier service worker who was stealing gold US coins from packages then selling them about an hour away? Luckily for the owners, the pieces were relatively rare and easily identified because of low mintages and retrieved a month or so after the fact. This guy wasn't exactly the brightest either, as he is trying to sell a $100,000 coin at some little mall shop in Delaware (I think).

Also, my condolences on the loss, as that was one sharp coin. I think they should kneecap the person if they find him.

I have never purchased anything from NEN. How do they ship their coins? What kind of label? Think something more anonymous might help? If anything maybe try that. If an envelope comes in that has no markings indicating it contains coins is still tampered with, it may be a postal employee who is looking specifically through certain people's packages.

Then, you call Vinny and have him bring the claw hammer.

Nick

<< <i>Did you read the article in CoinWorld about a month ago where there was a postal worker or courier service worker who was stealing gold US coins from packages then selling them about an hour away? >>

Nick: No, I didn't see the article, but if this is a trend it's certainly disturbing. My coins were not so rare, but I'll certainly recognize the Prussian 5Mark if I ever see it again, as would most of our forum members who've read this thread. Probably some coin-crook will crack it out and dip it . image

<< <i>Also, my condolences on the loss, as that was one sharp coin. I think they should kneecap the person if they find him. >>

Thanks, and I agree.

<< <i>I have never purchased anything from NEN. How do they ship their coins? What kind of label? Think something more anonymous might help? If anything maybe try that. If an envelope comes in that has no markings indicating it contains coins is still tampered with, it may be a postal employee who is looking specifically through certain people's packages. >>

NEN's packaging is as good as anyone's, and the labels don't mention coins, numismatics, or have any other tell-tale sign. The business name is shown as simply "Northeast."

Thanks, - Preussen
  • nicholasz219nicholasz219 Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭
    Well that is interesting. I wonder if they felt the coins through the packaging or if they grabbed a random bunch of packages and tore several open to see what they found. I guess it begs the question of whether or not you are dealing with smart or dumb criminals. Smart ones take only what they need and the dumb ones open everything that passes by them hoping to find something of value.

Well, it sucks, but I hope you get your coins back or at least find the SOBs who did this to you.

Nick
  • ajaanajaan Posts: 17,108 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Northeast Numismatics also ships items in a Safe-T-Mailer so it is difficult to tell there are coins in there. That is why I suspect the theft may have happened in Concord, MA. It'll be interesting to see how this all plays out.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don