Home Sports Talk
Options

Palmiero throwing teammates under the bus...

AxtellAxtell Posts: 10,037 ✭✭
Text

"The Sun in Baltimore, citing unidentified sources, reported Thursday that Palmeiro had identified a teammate by name when he testified before baseball's arbitration panel in an attempt to overturn the suspension, which followed a positive test for stanozolol."

Lame.

Comments

• Options
    CardsFanCardsFan Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭
    Heard that on the radio yesterday, this guy is not showing much class with the way he is handling this. I really can't wait until he comes up for the hall of fame, it will be very interesting.
  • Options
    How long has he been promising to get 'his side' out there?

The guy's a world class jerk who cheated to get his numbers. Anyone can see Raffy started hitting home runs in bunches the year after Canseco arrived in Texas...

If a class guy with phenomenal stats like Jack Morris can't make it in, there's no way in hell this cheating, lying bastage should.
  • Options
    kuhlmannkuhlmann Posts: 3,326 ✭✭
    arent there bigger problems in the world right now that congress should worry about then steroids? LOL but i have to agree barry makes a good point!
  • Options
    goose3goose3 Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭
    THey just said on SportsCenter that he claims it must have been in the B12 vitamin that Miguel Tejada gave him. image
  • Options
    Since the early 90's the numbers and biceps have grown all across baseball and it's been, technically, a level playing field. So, I don't believe that he should be looked at differently when discussing his Hall of Fame consideration. And, as you can tell by the fact that I'm the #1 Basic and Master registry sets holder for his cards, I'm a big fan.

BUT, I can't believe that someone who has gone his entire career being a gentleman and a team player has suddenly turned on his teammates (or in this case, one particular teammate) just to cover his a$$. Although, if he's staring some perjury charges or anything else that could land him in some additional heat, I can see where he would give up some information. Not saying it's right, just saying that I can see why he would do it.
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * MAGIC MASTER #4/BASIC #3
    * PALMEIRO MASTER/BASIC #1
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
    IrishMikeIrishMike Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭

<< <i>arent there bigger problems in the world right now that congress should worry about then steroids? LOL but i have to agree barry makes a good point! >>

Of course there are bigger problems to worry about, but you know something if these players would just admit what they have done there wouldn't be a need for any investigation. Reminds me of the arguement my kids would make when they did something wrong, "Sally the kid down the block did worse things than me".

It's a lame arguement.
  • Options
    it may be lame IM, but on the portion of the interview I saw, Bonds sure made congress look stupid and petty. Maybe that portion was shown just for that reason??

with Iraq and the Hurricanes, surely there ARE more important things for our leaders to concentrate on. A game is not one of them.

no need for any of these overpaid athletes to admit anything.......everyone knows.
  • Options
    IrishMikeIrishMike Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭

<< <i>it may be lame IM, but on the portion of the interview I saw, Bonds sure made congress look stupid and petty. Maybe that portion was shown just for that reason??

with Iraq and the Hurricanes, surely there ARE more important things for our leaders to concentrate on. A game is not one of them.

no need for any of these overpaid athletes to admit anything.......everyone knows. >>

Are you insinuating that Congress should investigate how we got into this Iraq quagmire?image Good for you Goose.image Just what we need is another Congressman giving a speech about the Gulf disaster. Let's hope they just stay away from there and out of the way of the folks doing good down there.
  • Options
    Brian48Brian48 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭
    Yeah, read about the details today. Claims that he may have popped positive because of a B-12 tablet that M. Tejada gave him, which is absolutely obsurd. B-12 is a perfectly legit (and legal) vitamin. Also, Tejada himself has been tested 3 times already and has never flunked a test while taking this supplement. I think he's just making real stretch and trying to weasel out any way he can.
  • Options
    I like how he waited until the end of the season to make this allegation.

Would he have said it if he had to face Tejada and his teammates every day? I don't think so.

Raffy's career is done...no one wants this cancer on their team.
  • Options
    Tejada uses/used steroids.

I know that's true because Jose said so. That's right, Jose Canseco. Yes, Canseco. Gosh, I'll never get used to admitting he was right.

And Palmeiro's probably doing this to send investigators and the heat off his own trail and onto Tejada's.

B-12? I take one every day. I don't see anabolic steroid listed as one of the ingredients.
  • Options

<< <i>I like how he waited until the end of the season to make this allegation.

Would he have said it if he had to face Tejada and his teammates every day? I don't think so.

Raffy's career is done...no one wants this cancer on their team. >>

I agree Axtell.......put a FORK in his career.............It's DONE.........and he won't make it into the HOF.
  • Options
    For all you youngsters out there, this is a lesson in greed. Raffy could have had a very nice career if he left it as it started out, but he wanted more....

As for Palmeiro's personality, guys like Will Clark have only bad things to say about him, and that he isn't the nice guy that everyone seems to have believed. Selfish and liar are two traits that are attributed to him. When you listened to all his former teammates, nobody stepped out and praised him as a person, they either diplomatically touched the subject, or they had negative things to say. Quiet in the media does not equal Great guy.

The best interview is Will Clarks quote of "You got caught partner."

As for Congress, yes if he lied, he should go to jail. It would be refreshing to see rich athletes get penalized like normal citizens.

Barry Bonds, Congress can do the important things AND these lesser important things too. How about you Barry NOT GIVING CONGRESS A REASON TO INVESTIGATE??? So Barry, if Congress indeed has their attentin diverted, it isn't their fault for upholding truth, it is YOUR fault for being dishonest to cause it!

I would like to see all enhancers rid from sports, with pro athletes taking the fall, so our youngsters get the message.
  • Options
    This confirms Raffy is stupid.

First he takes a steroid that is detectible, when there are some that the lastest tests cannot detect (i.e. HGH, the likely choice of Giambi).

Second, he throws Tejada under the bus, ensuring that he will be the first 500 home run player kept out of the HOF. He and Rose can start an alternative Cheaters Hall of Fame. image
  • Options

<< <i>Tejada uses/used steroids.

I know that's true because Jose said so. That's right, Jose Canseco. Yes, Canseco. Gosh, I'll never get used to admitting he was right.

And Palmeiro's probably doing this to send investigators and the heat off his own trail and onto Tejada's.

B-12? I take one every day. I don't see anabolic steroid listed as one of the ingredients. >>

Tejada confirmed that he's been tested 3 times this year (which MLB has stated as well) and all 3 came back negative. Not saying he never did, but Raffy should have taken his punishment like a man instead of trying to take down others.

Raffy (in my mind) wasn't a Hall of Famer before he was exposed as a cheat - here's hoping that he never makes the hall.
  • Options

<< <i>Raffy (in my mind) wasn't a Hall of Famer before he was exposed as a cheat - here's hoping that he never makes the hall. >>

Well, with 500 hrs and 3000 hits, he WAS a shoe-in. NOW he is Kryptonite.

On the bright side, I think this increases Jim Rice's chances of getting in now!! image
  • Options

The whole steroid thing is a nightmare for baseball. Viagara boy dug his own grave.