Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

UPDATE: NGC Multi-coin holders

(SEE POST AT BOTTOM OF PAGE FOR PHOTOS)

I have the following PCGS PR69DCAM coins that I am considering to put into multi-coin holders.

2005 1c
2005 5c Ocean View
2005 5c Bison
2005 10c
2005 50c
2005 $1

2005 CA 25c
2005 OR 25c
2005 MN 25c
2005 KS 25c
2005 WV 25c

2005 SAE*optional

I would really like to do this for my first child that will be born next week. The problem is that I will most likely have to go across the street to do it…since PCGS is not as flexible as NGC about what coins can go into multi-holders, etc. Now for the questions…

Does anyone know if NGC will crack out PCGS coins and put them in multi-holders or will I have to pay to have each one graded by NGC and then have them put them in the holder?

Does NGC have the capability of putting a 2005 SAE in with the other six that are listed in the first batch above (if not I would just leave out the SAE…no big deal)? Or is the limit 6 coins per holder?

Would I have to join NGC or could I find someone here on the boards to submit the coins for me?

The second multi-coin holder would comprise of the 5 state quarters (or maybe I could squeeze the SAE in with that?). I would love to hear feedback from those that have had experience with multi-coin holders. Again, this is something I would really like to do for my child for his or her birth year set. Thanks in advance…

Comments

• Options
    SteveSteve Posts: 3,313 ✭✭✭
    Toby,
    You obviously have a vision of what you would like to see. Two multi-holders containing all your twelve coins. Now you assume PCGS will not do this and NGC will. You REALLY will never know until you ask PCGS & NGC. Nobody here can tell you for sure IMHO. You want something special for your first child and I assume you are willing to pay for it. Call, and ask to speak to someone in authority who can give you a straight answer. Maybe even write to David telling him your story. You want something special, not just a production multi-holder. Good luck.
    Steveimage
  • Options
    Steve,

Excellent idea. Formal letter went off to HRH today via email. I'll update you all if I hear back.

Toby
  • Options
    I SENT A LETTER TO DAVID HALL 2-3 WEEKS AGO AND I HAVE NOT RECEIVED A REPLY. SHOULD I ASSUME THAT I WILL NOT HEAR BACK FROM HIM AND MOVE ON TO CUSTOMER SERVICE????? WHAT WOULD YOU ALL DO AT THIS POINT?image

Toby
  • Options
    Give it a try ... but ... customer service probably won't be much help either ...
    1st You Suck - 04/07/05 - Thanks MadMarty!

Happy Rock Wrens

You're having delusions of grandeur again. - Susan Ivanova
    Well, if you're gonna have delusions, may as well go for the really satisfying ones. - Marcus Cole
  • Options
    As much as I hate to say this, I never did get a response from Mr. Hall or PCGS's customer service in the last month on the above issue. I gave it some time, but I must move on and have the set put in multi-holders at NGC. I am certainly not bad mouthing PCGS in any way, it might be that they simply are not interested in getting in the business of customizing multi-coin holders for it's members. So be it. Personally, I think if they could figure it out, it might be a real money maker. People could create sets to commemorate certain years, date sets or whatever.

I sent an email to Scott at NGC (who is in charge of multi-coin holders) and he personally called me back at my office within 3 days (now that is customer service!). NGC told me that they will be willing to crossover and lay out all 14 coins in 3 multi-coin holders - for only $11/coin (which I guess is the going rate for crossover charge). They will even personalize the slabs to say my daughter's name on them. Not only did they accomodate me, but they also told me how I could submit my coins thru eBay if I did not want to join NGC at this time.

I will be sure to post photos when I get the holders back. The following coins will be in the 3 holders:

2005 Lincoln Cent
    2005 Bison Nickel
    2005 Ocean View Nickel
    2005 Roosevelt Dime
    2005 Kennedy Half Dollar

2005 KS State Quarter
    2005 WV State Quarter
    2005 CA State Quarter
    2005 OR State Quarter
    2005 MN State Quarter

2005 Sacagawea $1
    2005 Silver American Eagle
    2005 Marines Commemorative $1
    2005 John Marshall Commemorative $1

• Options
    BubbleheadBubblehead Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭

That sure sounds like a great idea!

Hey, all you grandpa's out there.... Christmas is coming....
  • Options
    michaelmichael Posts: 9,524 ✭✭
  • Options

<< <i>Give it a try ... but ... customer service probably won't be much help either ... >>

Umm. He should have just called customer service first and then went higher up to David Hall if he did not get an answer. Thats like calling the President of the US when the local city mayor could have taken care of the problem.

Cameron Kiefer
  • Options
    leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,366 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here's an idea if you want something custum made. But I can see that I'm a little late.

Leo

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

• Options
    ajiaajia Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭
    Can we presume you want the grades included in the holders?
    & that is why you are not looking at Capital Holders.
  • Options
    Several board members requested that I share photos of the NGC multi-coin holders when I got them back from NGC. For the record, they were able to put these three sets together for me in just under 4 weeks...and that includes an extra week since I had to resubmit additional coins because two did not cross over from PCGS. Customer service was phenomenal...they were very acccomodating throughout the entire process..particularly when it came to including my daughter's name and birthdate on the holders. I was pleasantly surprised by their service especially since I am NOT an NGC member and the submission was done thru eBay.

I apologize that the pictures are dark, but you can get the jist of what each set consists of. I am having another board member (Jeremy) redo these photos in the next few weeks!

Set 1

Set 2

Set 3
  • Options
    Toby,
    Am I correct that there is a labeling error on the 50 cent Kennedy? It says Marines on the label. I'm sure NGC will correct it for you, but I know I would be upset if the same thing happened to me AFTER going thru all the detail with them about this project. Good luck. Steveimage
  • Options
    ellewoodellewood Posts: 1,750
    Your absolutely right Steve. I did not catch that. The other thing I noticed is that they labeled my 10c and all five of my state quarters as SILVER. They are clad. Looks like I should send 2 of the 3 sets back to be relabeled! Hey, it's the thought that counts, right? image

For that kind of money, I will send them back and have them done right!
  • Options
    Toby,
    Did NGC place the coins (obverse or reverse up) as you requested? For instance, I personally would have kept the two nickels obverse side up to match the cent, dime and half. Did you request it the way it came out or did THEY make the decision? One of the main reasons I have not sent my early Lincoln proofs in for pedigree is because I think the clerks at PCGS would NOT necessarily do the job the way I want it done. In your case, I assume you paid fair retail value for a keepsake and you should INSIST they get it exactly the way you invisioned it. In otherwords, ten years from now you should be just as happy with the result and the coins & holders. JMHO. Steveimage
  • Options
    CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>two did not cross over from PCGS >>

image - I wouldn't have believed it! So NGC is tighter than PCGS on modern proofs??

Anyway, a very nice set and a neat idea. But get the labels fixed right before NGC loses interest in doing it right.

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

• Options
    ellewoodellewood Posts: 1,750
    yeah....they called me to tell me that the KS quarter and one of the nickels would only grade 68UCAM. I was impressed that they had the sense to know that I probably wanted all coins to be 69UCAM. They also guaranteed me that it would not hold up the order if I wanted to send in 2 coins to replace them. I bought the two replacement coins in NGC holders just to be sure and sent them directly to the person that was handling the order at NGC. Also traded numerous emails and phone calls with this person...each time a response came within 24 hrs. Like I said...customer service was impressive. I'll be sending the coins back to be reholdered...and to make it right. My guess is that they will be very happy to do so and will get it done in a very timely manner!

• Options
    CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks like NGC is willing to do whatever it takes to win customers. Even if it is one at a time!!

Good for them - us customers deserve all the service we can get. Look at the positive press they are getting for very little $$. And on their arch-rivals message boards to boot!

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!