Home Buy, Sell, & Trade - U.S. Coins

(Now on eBay): huge 1750 Sweden 2-daler "plate money" coin from the "Nicobar" sh

12/10/05: now on eBay.

Sweden: 2 daler copper "Plate Money", 1750. I grade it F15 (though these are admittedly tough to grade). The counterstamps are uneven in places.

Sweden in the 18th century was poor in silver but rich in copper, so they struck these giant pieces of copper plate money from 1644 to 1775, by stamping large plates of copper with official marks. The coins were designed to hold an equivalent amount of copper to the silver coins they replaced. Plate money was often exported as bullion but actually circulated in Sweden and Finland for more than a century. This piece is from the Nicobar shipwreck, which sank off South Africa on July 11, 1783, while on its way to India. Most plate money on the market today comes from this wreck. The 1750 2-daler pieces like this one are the most common, but still relatively seldom seen. I bought this at the 2004 FUN show in Orlando, and at the time it was the first piece of plate money I had seen in about 12 years. Catalogs $450.00 in Fine and $600.00 in VF (2nd Edition Krause). Comes with a certificate of authenticity from the salvors of the wreck.

Was asking $365.00- price reduced to $300.00. Trade offers of one to three nice coins may be considered, particularly if they are gold.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.

Comments