Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

What's the right premium for truly fresh unopened proof sets 1950-1960

WindycityWindycity Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭✭✭
I see prices quoted all across the board for unopened proof sets. What do you think is a fair premium if you are absolutely certain the set are original unopened sets?
<a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.mullencoins.com">Mullen Coins Website - Windycity Coin website

Comments

• Options
    I've seen the 61 through 64 go from $14 to $35 on ebay.I'd think the 50 through 60 would be significantly higher.
  • Options
    BladeBlade Posts: 1,744
    I bought some from a local dealer for $0 premium. Still in a sealed shipping box. I opened all of them in his shop and bought 2 with the most frosted surfaces.
    Tom

NOTE: No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Type collector since 1981
    Current focus 1855 date type set
  • Options
    MadMartyMadMarty Posts: 16,697 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I bought some from a local dealer for $0 premium. Still in a sealed shipping box. I opened all of them in his shop and bought 2 with the most frosted surfaces. >>

I hope your dealer isn't a forum member, knowing that opening the box, then opening the sets cost him 3X greysheet, he may not let you back into his shop again!
    It is not exactly cheating, I prefer to consider it creative problem solving!!!

• Options
    I wouldn't pay any premium. Pay extra for something because I CAN"T look at it?. Sure you have a CHANCE of finding a cherry, but most likely you're just going to get a typical set. You probably have about the same or even higher percentage chance of getting a dog set as getting one with a cherry.
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Frosted Proof coins, especially coins that were frosted on BOTH sides, were scarce items during the 1960 to 60 peroid. The chances are low that you will get even ONE frosted coin in a given set. You could also get toned and messed up coins if a former owner stored them in their attic or garage.

I'd pay zero premium too.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    HeywoodHeywood Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭
    my dealer would charge a 1$ premium for un opened sets. Never really found anything.

A witty saying proves nothing- Voltaire (1694 - 1778)

An error does not become truth by reason of multiplied propagation, nor

does the truth become error because nobody will see it. -Mohandas K. Gandhi (1869-1948)
  • Options
    MadMartyMadMarty Posts: 16,697 ✭✭✭
    I have seen mint sealed SMS boxes of 10 sets got for $400+ on E-Bay. That's 4X GS!
    It is not exactly cheating, I prefer to consider it creative problem solving!!!

• Options
    VeepVeep Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭✭
    If buying, no premium at all. Its like buying a lottery ticket. Very long odds of finding anything special.
    "Let me tell ya Bud, you can buy junk anytime!"
  • Options
    TheRavenTheRaven Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭✭
    I would pay a few extra bucks say $5 for the set, and probably keep it sealed.....
    Collection under construction: VG Barber Quarters & Halves

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file