Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1991 Gold Eagle 1/2 ounce

USMC_6115USMC_6115 Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭✭✭
These are finally going up in value...

Raw Ebay example

BTW, what kind of holder is that, and where do you get them? Or, is that how they come from the mint?

Comments

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,481 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think the holder is part of Capital Plastics economy line. The thing snaps together. It's OK for storeage of coins like this.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,568 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Holy cow these coins are pricy! Are there really that many people collecting bullion half oz gold eagles? Did a lot get melted down? 24,100 isn't a small mintage any more compared to how many modern coins have mintages under 8,000. Like the gold army unc coin with a mintage of 8k. I'd think a lot more folks are collecting $5 gold commems than half ounce gold coins.
    "I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,550 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Holy cow these coins are pricy! Are there really that many people collecting bullion half oz gold eagles? Did a lot get melted down? 24,100 isn't a small mintage any more compared to how many modern coins have mintages under 8,000. Like the gold army unc coin with a mintage of 8k. I'd think a lot more folks are collecting $5 gold commems than half ounce gold coins. >>

A lot of them are out of numismatic hands, being held by people who bought and held bullion and who do not follow date prices.
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They were available in 1992 for around $250 each, even after the low mintage was known. It took quite a while for their price to gain traction.

Some of today's low mintage bullion coins and commems may follow the same trajectory. Check back in 20 years.

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

• Options
    92vette92vette Posts: 528 ✭✭✭
    The reality is, unlike their 06 to 08 burnished cousins with half the mintage, the back-dated $25 AGEs very rarely hit the market. I do believe they have established themselves as the true keys in the series.
  • Options
    GritsManGritsMan Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭
    I was lucky enough to pick up one of these in 1992 and have been watching it--and adjacent dates--for many years. I also believe these are more scarce than some of the 06-08s, but also realize there may be a large stockpile of them in one or more safe deposit boxes somewhere in the world. The 1990 also seems to be very hot, and it makes for an interesting series.
    Winner of the Coveted Devil Award June 8th, 2010
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,842 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The page has been removed.

Amazing what a few of the 1/2 ouncers have done over the years. Impressive for bullion.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file