Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

What do you think the newly discovered 1854-S $2 1/2 gold coin is worth?

SethChandlerSethChandler Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭✭
246 made, this one makes ten known, it appears to be the second finest, XF45. It is a great coin.
Collecting since 1976.

Comments

• Options
    JulianJulian Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭
    PNG member, numismatic dealer since 1965. Operates a retail store, also has exhibited at over 1000 shows.
    I firmly believe in numismatics as the world's greatest hobby, but recognize that this is a luxury and without collectors, we can all spend/melt our collections/inventories.

eBaystore
  • Options
    LongacreLongacre Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭
    I will guess $250,000
    Always took candy from strangers
    Didn't wanna get me no trade
    Never want to be like papa
    Working for the boss every night and day
    --"Happy", by the Rolling Stones (1972)
  • Options
    more then I can afford. I would say 330,000. DLRC had one in their first Richmond sale, only in VF 35. It hammered for 86 and change.
    Nick
  • Options
    julian will you be bidding on it?
    Nick
  • Options
    JulianJulian Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭
    Only as a representative, but have not been retained, as yet.
    PNG member, numismatic dealer since 1965. Operates a retail store, also has exhibited at over 1000 shows.
    I firmly believe in numismatics as the world's greatest hobby, but recognize that this is a luxury and without collectors, we can all spend/melt our collections/inventories.

eBaystore
  • Options
    LongacreLongacre Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭
    There are 18,345 registered users of the PCGS boards. If the coin sells for $400,000, that is only $21.80 per participant. Who wants to start a collection and then donate the coin to a museum?
    Always took candy from strangers
    Didn't wanna get me no trade
    Never want to be like papa
    Working for the boss every night and day
    --"Happy", by the Rolling Stones (1972)
  • Options
    dthigpendthigpen Posts: 3,932 ✭✭

<< <i>There are 18,345 registered users of the PCGS boards. If the coin sells for $400,000, that is only $21.80 per participant. Who wants to start a collection and then donate the coin to a museum? >>

And there are roughly 100-200 'active' users on the US Coin Forum.
  • Options
    ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭
    I'll say about $380,000 with the juice.
  • Options
    RegulatedRegulated Posts: 2,992 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Julian stole my number. The Bass coin sold for around $180,000 at auction a year and a half ago. It was certainly a bit sharper than this one, but the market has really moved forward on these sorts of things...

What is now proved was once only imagined. - William Blake
  • Options
    DJCDJC Posts: 787

<< <i>There are 18,345 registered users of the PCGS boards. If the coin sells for $400,000, that is only $21.80 per participant. Who wants to start a collection and then donate the coin to a museum? >>

Put me down for 10 'shares' on that, Longacre image Just to have owned a "piece" of a coin like that, albeit briefly, would be cool.

How much is it worth? More than me. image
  • Options
    Oh yeah - promise me that you won't donate it to a museum... It would be much better off with a collector (who could conceivably loan it to a museum).

• Options
    I like the museum idea. It would be cool to be a part owner in a peice of history like this. Why were there so few struck?
  • Options
    In 1854, if you deposited gold at a U.S. Mint, you could request coins in specific denominations. In 1854, very few people must have requested Quarter and Half Eagles in San Francisco.

Breen states that few were made because of a lack of parting acids. That seems pretty silly to me, as they still managed to make a fair number of dollars, tens and twenties...

• Options
    imageJust remember, we <I>all</I> own the collection at the Smithsonian, so we all own a museum-quality rarity or two by default. As for me, I'd like to see the Lee coin sell in CA to someone from that fair state, thus keeping its CA "heritage" alive.image
    The Deacon Moves In!
  • Options
    imageHey, guess I was wrong on how to make italics at this website...duhhhimage
    The Deacon Moves In!
  • Options
    RickMilauskasRickMilauskas Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭
    450 k
  • Options
    I don't think the market is as strong as some of you. Even though its a fresh coin, I think it will bring $175-$200,000.00 total.

This is a 2 1/2, not a $20!
  • Options
    mdwoodsmdwoods Posts: 5,526 ✭✭✭
    I wonder when the family realized the old coin they had was a true rarity?
    National Register Of Big Trees

We'll use our hands and hearts and if we must we'll use our heads.
  • Options
    Hey bullseye - wanna buy some 54-S $20s?

• Options

<< <i>I don't think the market is as strong as some of you. Even though its a fresh coin, I think it will bring $175-$200,000.00 total.

This is a 2 1/2, not a $20! >>

a dime sold for over a million. this is perhaps the rarest QE in US Coinage
    Nick
  • Options
    michaelmichael Posts: 9,524 ✭✭
  • Options

<< <i>I don't think the market is as strong as some of you. Even though its a fresh coin, I think it will bring $175-$200,000.00 total.

This is a 2 1/2, not a $20! >>

The fact is it's not as nice as the Bass coin at $180K in addition to the above points. It's fun to guess, but when it comes to actually bidding I see it between the Richmond coin at $80K and Bass at $180--maybe 135-145K bid ($167500 max.)
    morgannut2
  • Options
    DD Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't pay over melt for it.

-Daniel
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."

-Aristotle

Dum loquimur fugerit invida aetas. Carpe diem quam minimum credula postero.

-Horace
  • Options
    mozinmozin Posts: 8,755 ✭✭✭
    I don't think this one will hammer more than $150K.
    I collect Capped Bust series by variety in PCGS AU/MS grades.
  • Options
    jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have no clue to gold, but I think its a neat discovery piece and story I guess it will bring 225k
  • Options
    FatManFatMan Posts: 8,977
  • Options
    For what it's worth, it won't go less than $138K hammer--that's the reserve.image
    morgannut2
  • Options
    kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,568 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can tell you what it's NOT worth... 4 years of my freedom.
    "I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.
  • Options

<< <i>For what it's worth, it won't go less than $138K hammer--that's the reserve.image >>

imageThere is no reserve on this coin...
    The Deacon Moves In!
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,957 ✭✭✭✭✭
    While this is a very nice coin I suspect that the realization will be on the very low end of estimates. Hurricane Katrina is going to have a dampening effect on the US economy. Coin prices are going to be soft.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,790 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Coin prices are going to be soft.

I see you are finally coming around. image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file