Home U.S. Coin Forum

Found Capped 1/2 O-109 R5

I just found a Capped Bust half O-109 R5 in f/vf for 90.00 advertised as lightly cleaned...good buy or not?
Collecting cleaned, scratched, scraped, AT and ugly POS coins for over 2 years now!

Comments

• Well I would be all over it if the wife would let me image BUTTTTTTTT....
    100% DAV, Been There and Done That!
    166 BHDs & 154 Die Varieties & Die States...
    Bust Half Nut Club #180

Festivus Yes! Bagels No!
  • OKbustchaserOKbustchaser Posts: 5,475 ✭✭✭✭✭
    what year? What condition?
    Just because I'm old doesn't mean I don't love to look at a pretty bust.
  • The O-109 is an 1825 in f/vf
    Collecting cleaned, scratched, scraped, AT and ugly POS coins for over 2 years now!
    If you don't want it PM me.image

RAPIDLY!!!!

• << <i>I just found a Capped Bust half O-109 R5 in f/vf for 90.00 advertised as lightly cleaned...good buy or not? >>

Is it an 1823 or 1825? Either is worth the $90 IMO.
    Curmudgeon in waiting!
  • Its a 1825 with the pointed 2. What im not sure about is the reverse. To qualify as the O-109 does the overse AND reverse features need to be
    on the same coin? Cause its definitley a pointed 2 north, but the reverse I supposed to be between the AT in states, is to the left almost directly under the T. Can it be a pointed 2 variety without the reverse?
  • Heres a pic image

• << <i>Its a 1825 with the pointed 2. What im not sure about is the reverse. To qualify as the O-109 does the overse AND reverse features need to be
    on the same coin? Cause its definitley a pointed 2 north, but the reverse I supposed to be between the AT in states, is to the left almost directly under the T. Can it be a pointed 2 variety without the reverse? >>

To the best of my knowledge it needs both. The inner curl of the 2 should point straight up and I of Pluribus centered under AT. You say the I is to the left under T--do you mean to the right as you look at the reverse? Also look for the TAT, AMERI and CA all very close at bases.

Edit: Just looked at your picture--your's is a late die state with stars drawn to edge.
    Curmudgeon in waiting!
  • WOW, those stars are really STRUCK UP. It's been cleaned pretty good... I'd (just me) pull the trigger and bid or buy. Here's my 1825, she's pretty scratched up image

Ben

100% DAV, Been There and Done That!
    166 BHDs & 154 Die Varieties & Die States...
    Bust Half Nut Club #180

Festivus Yes! Bagels No!
  • Dangeld, the point of the 2 on the obverse of your coin is pointing North/East. The coin I just posted, it is pointing north. Making it a different variety but I need a second opinion on the reverse before calling it a O-109. Thanks for the pictureimage

• << <i>

<< <i>Its a 1825 with the pointed 2. What im not sure about is the reverse. To qualify as the O-109 does the overse AND reverse features need to be
    on the same coin? Cause its definitley a pointed 2 north, but the reverse I supposed to be between the AT in states, is to the left almost directly under the T. Can it be a pointed 2 variety without the reverse? >>

To the best of my knowledge it needs both. The inner curl of the 2 should point straight up and I of Pluribus centered under AT. You say the I is to the left under T--do you mean to the right as you look at the reverse? Also look for the TAT, AMERI and CA all very close at bases.

Edit: Just looked at your picture--your's is a late die state with stars drawn to edge. >>

Looked again--I think it could be an O-111 R.3 It's a better match to that die marriage than to the O-109 The seller may have misattributed.
    Curmudgeon in waiting!
    netrubicon,

Not a 109...from your pic I would say 111. Here is a pic of a 109.

sold in the last Sheridan Downey auction

Jim

Edited to add: Still probably worth $90.00 from the pics.
  • Thanks for everyones help. I just have numbers for the R4-5s. I will have to find the others.
  • Thanks for posting the question---these are my favorite threads.

Bill
    Curmudgeon in waiting!

• netrugicon, the 1825 half that you imaged here is actually O-106, which is listed as an R.4 in Overton, but the latest census data indicates that it is actually an R.3 variety. The image provided here is a bit blurry, but I would venture to guess that the coin is actually O-106a, based on the drawn stars. O-106a is listed as an R.3, but it is likely an R.2 coin. Regardless of variety, $90 is a very fair price for the coin imaged here.

Danegeld, your coin is O-113 (R.1). I like it. It is original, which is an important criteria when buying early American coinage.
    www.jaderarecoin.com - Updated 6/8/06. Many new coins added!

Our eBay auctions - TRUE auctions: start at $0.01, no reserve, 30 day unconditional return privilege & free shipping!
  • Jade--please take another look at the curl on the 2---the O-106 really doesn't match the curl on the one posted by netrubicon--his is consistent with the O-111 IMO.
    Curmudgeon in waiting!

• << <i>Jade--please take another look at the curl on the 2---the O-106 really doesn't match the curl on the one posted by netrubicon--his is consistent with the O-111 IMO. >>

billboat, the coin posted by netrubicon cannot be either O-109 nor O-111. Take a look at star 7; note where it points to the cap. Also, on the reverse, note the position of the "5" in "50 C."; way off. It is somewhat similar to 109 and 111, but....IMHO....it is O-106a.

Regarding the curl on the 2, I think that the picture is grainy and difficult to use for intricate detail. It is more accurate to use major element orientation when trying to attribute by low resolution images. Some dates are difficult to attribute and 1825 is one of them. I like attributing 1814 halves. Much easier!
    www.jaderarecoin.com - Updated 6/8/06. Many new coins added!

Our eBay auctions - TRUE auctions: start at $0.01, no reserve, 30 day unconditional return privilege & free shipping!
  • Jade--looked again--must agree with you after checking all the characteristics--106. Thanks!
    Curmudgeon in waiting!
  • dorkkarldorkkarl Posts: 12,691 ✭✭✭
    that's a good price even for a common variety, get it!

K S

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file