Home Sports Talk
Options

What happened to players like Rickey Henderson, Lou Brock, and Vince Coleman?

frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,046 ✭✭✭✭✭
What has happened to base stealers? Lou Brock, Rickey Henderson, and Vince Coleman were great base stealers. I remember being a kid and watching Vince Coleman steal over 100 bases for three years in a row? You know that there are players that are just as fast as they were. Why don't they steal as many bases anymore? Scott Podsednik has 54 steals and will wind up leading the majors. I was actually surprised someone had even that many. I wish somone would come along and steal 100 bases again. That is great baseball. And I wish he would play for the Cardinals! image

Shane

Comments

• Options
    The emphasis on the home run has probably taken away most of the huge base stealers. But it sure seems attractive to have someone who can steal 50+ bases. I dont know, maybe they dont teach it or emphasize it enough in the minors.
  • Options
    DeutscherGeistDeutscherGeist Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭✭
    The emphasis on the homerun and the better preparation of catcher and pitcher contributed to the decline of successful base stealing.

There was an article on this about 10 years ago to explain why base stealing has gone down. The main reason was catcher-pitcher coordination moved to a new level of efficiency.
    "So many of our DREAMS at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we SUMMON THE WILL they soon become INEVITABLE "- Christopher Reeve

BST: Tennessebanker, Downtown1974, LarkinCollector, nendee
  • Options
    AxtellAxtell Posts: 10,037 ✭✭
    There's no need with so many players in the lineup being home run threats.

Why risk an out or injury sending a guy from first to second when the home run will do the same thing. This goes back to the whole debate about how radically the game has changed in the last 20 years. You see more and more hitters swinging away when it's 0-2 just like it's an even count.

I think the stolen base is an incredibly exciting part of the game (and stealing home!), and I wish it would make a comeback.

Until the HR numbers start falling off, and managers have to be more resourceful, I doubt it will happen.
  • Options
    kuhlmannkuhlmann Posts: 3,326 ✭✭
    well mets have been running wild this year. 6 guys on the team have more then 10 sb's reyes has 46 i think so he might end up with 60-70. not bad and he will only get better.
  • Options
    Happy birthday Rickey!
  • Options
    MGLICKERMGLICKER Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭
    Not nearly as exciting, but the well executed bunt has left the game as well.
  • Options
    Happy birthday to the all-time runs and stolen base leader.
  • Options
    swartz1swartz1 Posts: 4,911 ✭✭✭
    The steroid era happened...

Looking for 1970 MLB Photostamps
    - uncut

Positive Transactions - tennesseebanker, Ahmanfan, Donruss, Colebear, CDsNuts, rbdjr1, Downtown1974, yankeeno7, drewsef, mnolan, mrbud60, msassin, RipublicaninMass, AkbarClone, rustywilly, lsutigers1973, julen23 and nam812, plus many others...
  • Options
    thehallmarkthehallmark Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭
    People figured out that it's easier to score more runs when you don't give away outs.
  • Options
    2014 100 stolen bases

Billy Hamilton Reds...you heard it here first.
  • Options
    markj111markj111 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭
    There are no players like Henderson-not even close.
  • Options
    Agreed, there isn't and will never be a player like Rickey again. Besides his skill and talent, his personality set him apart.
  • Options
    Baseball has changed too much for my taste.

Besides base stealers, what's happened to starting pitching? It's unrecognizable from 20-25 years ago. What has happened to a well rounded pitching staff....like Glavine, Smoltz, Maddux, Steve Avery? It seems like guys who can win 18-20 games are a thing of the past. Innings pitched leaders are barely 210-220 now.

I feel like a lot of individuality has been taken from the game. I.e. Ripkens consecutive game streak. I wonder if anyone will get 3,000 hits and 100 stolen bases in a season like henderson.