Home Sports Talk
Options

Official MLB Awards Thread

frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,046 ✭✭✭✭✭
Chime in on your picks and opinions about this years AL and NL awards. There is just a little over one month left in the season, and some of the awards may go down to the wire. I actually believe the AL and NL MVP awards are NOT decided yet. The AL could go four different ways with Alex Rodriguez, Manny Ramirez, David Ortiz, and Vladimir Guerrero. The NL could go three different ways with Derrek Lee, Albert Pujols, and Andruw Jones.

The Cy Young could go a few different ways as well. In the AL, you have Mariano Rivera, Bartolo Colon, Mark Buerhle, and Jon Garland. In the NL, I believe it to be a race between Clemens and Carpenter.

My picks reflect not only what they have done, but also how I think they will finish the season.

Here are my picks and reason behind the pick.

AL MVP - Alex Rodriguez. He is on pace for one of his best seasons, and I believe the Yankees will make the playoffs via the wild card. He will lead the league in homeruns and finish with a ton of RBI's.

NL MVP - Albert Pujols. I have heard many say that he will get it this year because of the previous three years. Not true. Pujols has without question led the Cardinals to the best record in the majors. Derrek Lee's production has slowed with his batting average droppin 30 points since the All Star break. I think that Pujols will win the batting title as well.

AL Cy Young - Mariano Rivera. I usually think that starters should win the award, unless there isn't a standout starter. That is true this year. Rivera has dominated with a 1.39 ERA and 33 saves.

NL Cy Young - Chris Carpenter. First in wins. Second in ERA. Third in strikouts. Fourth in opponents batting average. First in complete games. Second in shutouts. The only thing that's more impressive is Roger Clemens' unheard of ERA.

AL ROY - Nick Swisher. 16 homeruns. 60 RBI's. Projected 21 homruns and 79 RBI's.

NL ROY - Willie Taveras. 31 steals and .301 avg. Can you win the ROY with only about 70 games played? If you can Jeff Francouer may win it. Batting .370 with 10 homruns in 34 games played.

AL Manager - Ozzie Guillen. Best record in the AL, with no superstars on the team.

NL Manager - Bobby Cox. Second best record in the NL with a bunch of rookies.

Shane

Comments

• Options
    CardsFanCardsFan Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭
    I agree with your MVP and ROY picks.

I think the Clemens/Carps race will be the closest and will be decided the rest of the way, right now I give a slight edge to Clemens.

For the AL Cy Young I like Buerhle

I think La Russa deserves the NL Manager year. Last year it was given to Cox because his team exceeded expectations and fought through injuries. This year is the same deal for Cox he's winning with a bunch of rookies but so are the Cardinals and they are winning more. LaRussa has seen his offense decimated by injuries and keeps winning. I also thought LaRussa deserved it last year when the Cards who were picked third in their division blew everyone away.
  • Options
    AL CY Young - Mark Buehrle. This workhorse has had another great season and will finish near the top in wins, will post about a 3.00 ERA, and have a better K/BB ratio than Garland when all is said and done (If he continues on his current path of course)

NL CY Young - Chris Carpenter. This guy benefits from what Clemens has benefited from all these years - playing on a great team. 2.29 ERA as of 8/22/05, and 174K's looks very, very good for an award. Sure Clemens has had one of the greatest pitching seasons since WWII to back him up, but his team didn't support him with wins in the beginning of the season.

AL CY Young - Nick Swisher. I remember reading about this "prospect" in Moneyball.

NL Cy Young - agreed with Frankhardy on his statements

AL Manager - Ozzie Guillen. Had the best record for a long time (no more since the Cardinals caught on fire) without a superstar.

NL manager - Either Frank Robinson or Phil Garner. Frank had his team playing well for so long and actually led the division for a long time. Phil once again brought his team from the NL Central gutter to the wild card frontrunner in the NL. If Frank's team ends up last in the East, I think Phil deserves it. And I hate saying that because I really, really hate the Astros.

AL MVP - AS OF NOW, NOT AROD. Please, not AROD. Don't let the NY hype confuse your mind. $200MM payroll and what has he done that has been so earth shattering for the Yankees? There are 8 other all-stars in that lineup that could pick up where he left off. Maybe Vlad (again), Podsednik - but please not ARod for a first pick.

NL MVP - I love Pujols, but this pick has to go to Andruw Jones. He picked it up big time when the other Jones went down and started carrying the Braves team when what seems as the whole minor league team was sent up. He had little support around him, and the Braves would not be where they are without him.

Note: Not edited for spelling

Remember these Chuck Norris Facts

1. When Chuck Norris does a pushup, he isn't lifting himself up, he's pushing the Earth down
    2. According to Einstein's theory of relativity, Chuck Norris can actually roundhouse kick you yesterday
    3. There are no such things as lesbians, just women who have not yet met Chuck Norris
  • Options
    AxtellAxtell Posts: 10,037 ✭✭

<< <i>AL MVP - AS OF NOW, NOT AROD. Please, not AROD. Don't let the NY hype confuse your mind. $200MM payroll and what has he done that has been so earth shattering for the Yankees? There are 8 other all-stars in that lineup that could pick up where he left off. Maybe Vlad (again), Podsednik - but please not ARod for a first pick.
    >>

NY hype? Arod's been the best player in the league for years now...and should have won more MVPs than the one he has...his being on the last-place Rangers obviously hurt his chances. What has he done that's so earth shattering? Uhm are you kidding me? How about learning a completely new position (3rd) that he's never played before, while playing in front of the most intense media spotlight in America? How about letting pretty boy Jeter play his old position without even a peep? How about leading the league in home runs and near the top in both BA and RBI? Because he has a high contract he doesn't deserve the MVP unless he hits 80 home runs, bats .400 and drives in 200 RBIs?

Talk about unrealistic!

8 other all-stars in that lineup who could pick up where he left off? Then please explain how he was able to put up the numbers he did while in texas with NO support whatsoever? Don't you think that his presence behind Sheffield is part of what's led to Sheff having 2 great years batting in front of Arod? Don't you think that entire yankee lineup benefits from Arod there?

It's ridiculous to hold his contract as the reason he shouldn't win MVP. It's equally ridiculous that you think that 'any' player on the yankee lineup could step into his spot and put up the kind of numbers.

You say don't buy into the NY hype, I think you have fallen into the 'he's-not-on-my-team-so-he's-overrated' hype.

• Options
    As for Andruw Jones, the .272 batting average will hurt him. In today's game, I don't know if you can bat less than .300 and win an MVP. Has anyone done that recently? Not sure.

Cardsfan, I agree about Larussa. I just couldn't bring myself to pick three Cardinals. I guess could do that and also pick Yadier Molina for ROY. image

The NL Manager award might be close. I actually forgot about Frank Robinson. He was a lock in the first half. Phil Garner? Maybe.

Axtell, I can't believe you actually like one of the players from Spammy's team. image Seeing your Mariners logo, I guess you have probably liked A Rod from the begining.

Shane

• Options
    Maybe I ought to change my AL Cy Young to Colon. He just won his 17th game last night.

Shane

• Options

<< <i>Derrek Lee's production has slowed with his batting average droppin 30 points since the All Star break. I think that Pujols will win the batting title as well.
    >>

Pujols is now tied with Derrek Lee at .338.

Andruw Jones is getting real hot though. I still don't think you can win an MVP batting .275

Shane

• Options
    I love the NY hype quote.

Exactly how many Yankees have won the MVP in the last 40 years?

2. Mattingly in 1985 and Munson in 1976.

How many Yankee pitchers have won the Cy Young in the last 40 years?

3. Clemens in 2001, Guidry in 1978 and Lyle in 1977.
  • Options
    BigRedMachineBigRedMachine Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭
    I don't know the current stats on Clemens and Carpenter, but just suprised not to see Dontrelle Willis' name mentioned.

21-8 with a 2.49 ERA for the wild card leader.

Is he not even an option?

As far as MVP goes, I think anyone of the guys you mentioned who can raise their average 15 points and hit 10 home runs in the last three weeks would be hard to ignore as a hot streak when it's time to vote could push any of them over the top.

Shawn
  • Options
    Dontrelle has done well, but Carps has been dominating, and for a team that hasn't been struggling to get to the wild card. I think giving your team that rock solid start every 5 days should speak volumes. Unless Carps completely collapses, i think he gets it.

NL MVP is Andruw Jones. Not even a question.

The AL awards are going to be very interesting...Arod is a perennial contender, but if the yanks don't make the postseason, i don't think he gets it. I think Ortiz will get the nod in the MVP race.

AL cy young will come down to whatever teams make the postseason...just way too many similar pitchers to have a clear cut favorite.
  • Options
    Axtell,

"Not even a question." I wouldn't put it quite that way. Sure, you may feel stronly about Andruw Jones, but to say that there is not another candidate doesn't make sense. You can make an argument for Cabrera, Lee, and even Chris Carpenter. I still have to go with Pujols, even though it will be a close race with Jones. I will not say, however, that Pujols will get it - "Not even a question."

Shane

• Options

<< <i>NL MVP is Andruw Jones. Not even a question >>

Definitely a question. My rant for Pujols/Larussa over Cox/Jones-

We have to hear about how the Braves weren't picked to win their division, well they've won how many in row? I don't think you can quit picking them until they actually don't win. The Cards were not even considered in the preseason last year it was supposed to the Cubs/Astros but halfway through the season everyone forgot that they didn't have high expectations.

Injuries. The Braves have so many injuries and Andruw has carried them and Bobby has managed them though it with all these rookies. Have you seen the freaking lineup the Cardinals have been winning with most of the season? Rolen/Walker have barely played and when they did they weren't stellar, Edmonds is not having as good of year, Sanders has been out for months, Grudz is hurt. Players like Nunez, Mabry, Taguchi, Luna have been playing and although they are not rookies they are far from household names. The Braves have had their two stud middle infielders all year setting the table for Jones, Eckstein has been the only one there all year for Pujols.

I'm not trying to take anything away from the Braves they've had a ton injuries (especially to their pitching staff, which the Cards have not) and are winning with rookies, but I think since the Cards had sowed up the division so early no one noticed the adversity this team has faced. The only thing Jones has over Pujols is defense in more critical position. Both players are leaders and I think Pujols will end getting the award for one other reason, he has been the second best player for three years with Bonds out this year I think the voters will give Pujols his due. I tink LaRussa and Cox should share the Manager award just like I thought they should have last year.
  • Options
    Pujols and Lee have had great years, but they haven't single-handedly strapped their teams to their backs, and had a career year to pick up the slack.

Would the Cards be in the same position without Pujols playing at the level he did this year? It's highly likely they would have, as they have a 15 game lead in the division, boosted by a phenomenal team and amazing pitching.

Looking at the braves, would you be able to make that same argument? Would the Braves even be in the chase if it weren't for Jones' year?

Early in the year, it looked like Lee was going to run away with it...but with the Cubs floundering and his hot year tapering off, I think that Pujols is going to be left looking at another second place finish as Andruw cruises with the title.
  • Options

<< <i>
    Would the Cards be in the same position without Pujols playing at the level he did this year? It's highly likely they would have, as they have a 15 game lead in the division, boosted by a phenomenal team and amazing pitching. >>

ABSOLUTELY NOT! Do you really think you could take probably the best hitter in baseball away from this team and they would still be as good? A guy who has driven in 108 runs and scored another 117. He is the leader, he makes everyone on the team better there is no way they would be as good without him. BTW Pujols has 12 more stolen bases then Jones... don't think anyone saw that coming.
  • Options
    I didn't mean they'd be 15 games up without Pujols, I meant they'd still be in first place, probably comfortably.

Look, I'm not trying to take anything away from him...he's a phenomenal talent. But I have to admit that Andruw means more to the braves than pujols does to the cards.
  • Options
    I love the NY hype quote.

Exactly how many Yankees have won the MVP in the last 40 years?

2. Mattingly in 1985 and Munson in 1976.

How many Yankee pitchers have won the Cy Young in the last 40 years?

3. Clemens in 2001, Guidry in 1978 and Lyle in 1977.

How Bout How Many World Series Have The Yankees Won In The Last 28 Years??????? 6 Thats more than most teams won in their history !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options

<< <i>

How Bout How Many World Series Have The Yankees Won In The Last 28 Years??????? 6 Thats more than most teams won in their history !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! >>

Don't you mean BOUGHT?

That's what I thought.
  • Options
    How Bout How Many World Series Have The Yankees Won In The Last 28 Years??????? 6 Thats more than most teams won in their history !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! >>
    Don't you mean BOUGHT?

Doesn't virtually evary team acquire players via free agency to be in contention? True, NY has taken advantage of free agency, but "buying" doesn't guarantee anything. However key players were acquired through trades & they did get a few out of their minor league system that without them wouldn't have achieved a few more world series. Were these players bought? Jeter, Posada,Bernie,Rivera,Pettite,Soriano, etc.
    Tino Martinez was instrumental in 4 world series championshipships, when was he "bought"? Oh wait..... he wasn't, Seattle traded him, as they do with other stars like Randy Johnson, Ken Griffey Jr, & couldn't afford A-Rod cuz they needed to pay for a new stadium, which btw is a beautiful place, the only thing it's missing is a World Champions Banner.
  • Options

AL:
    Cy Young - Mariano Rivera
    MVP - David Ortiz

NL:
    Cy Young -Chris Carpenter
    MVP - Albert Pujols
  • Options
    Mariano for cy young?

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Whew I needed a good laugh...he's not even the best reliever in the AL!
  • Options
    calleochocalleocho Posts: 1,569 ✭✭
    I would love for a Marlins player to win an award but i just dont see the numbers working out.

Willis had a nice shot...but he had 3 horrible games back to back and his ERA jumped over a full point ...that and he won the ROY last year. I think Carpenter will win it ...although Clemens killed us today. its too close to call.

Cabrera also had a nice shot he got real hot for about a month and posted some amazing numbers even leading the BA for a short while...but leveled off

I think Andrew deserves it ..although it sure sucks for pujols ...he should have one by now if it wasnt for cheating Bonds.

"Women should be obscene and not heard. "
    Groucho Marx
  • Options
    Let's just see who is more valuable to their team's success. Let's look at the Braves leaders and then the Cardinals leaders.

Team Leaders
    BA Marcus Giles .302
    H Marcus Giles 155
    2B Marcus Giles 43
    3B Rafeal Furcal 10
    HR Andruw Jones 46
    RBI Andruw Jones 118
    R Marcus Giles 93
    SB Rafael Furcal 39
    BB Andruw Jones 61
    OBP Chipper Jones .417 in 307 AB (Giles leads hitters w/ 400+ AB's)
    SLG Andruw Jones .609
    OPS Andruw Jones .950

2005 Team Leaders
    BA Albert Pujols .337
    H Albert Pujols 180
    2B Albert Pujols 35
    3B David Eckstein 7
    HR Albert Pujols 39
    RBI Albert Pujols 107
    R Albert Pujols 116
    SB Albert Pujols 14
    BB Albert Pujols 85
    OBP Albert Pujols .435
    SLG Albert Pujols .632
    TB Albert Pujols 336
    OPS Albert Pujols 1.063

Pujols is the leader of everything except triples. He hasn't had near the protection that Andruw Jones has had.

As Jim Carrey so brilliantly said in Ace Ventura, "Unfortunately, in every situation, there must be - a loser! La hoo- sa her!"

I think Andruw Jones, in this situation will be the loser of the MVP

Shane

• Options

<< <i>Let's just see who is more valuable to their team's success. Let's look at the Braves leaders and then the Cardinals leaders.

Pujols is the leader of everything except triples. He hasn't had near the protection that Andruw Jones has had.

As Jim Carrey so brilliantly said in Ace Ventura, "Unfortunately, in every situation, there must be - a loser! La hoo- sa her!"

I think Andruw Jones, in this situation will be the loser of the MVP >>

But let me ask you this, objectively:

If you took Pujols out of the Cardinals lineup, would they still be in postseason contention? I think the answer most people would come up with is a resounding yes. That's not to take away from Pujols in the slightest; he's a phenomenal player on a great team. The pitching of the Cards many would argue is far and away the best and most complete in the majors.

Now, take Andruw off of the Braves. Would they even be sniffing the postseason without him? I think many would say 'absolutely not'. Andruw has single-handedly strapped that team to his back and carried them, especially without Chipper for a good part of the year.

Yes the Braves have had a long run of success; but that streak surely would have ended this year if it weren't for Andruw's amazing year.
  • Options

<< <i>If you took Pujols out of the Cardinals lineup, would they still be in postseason contention? I think the answer most people would come up with is a resounding yes. >>

Maybe but I don't think that is definite. Who in the Cardinal lineup would scare you if Pujols wasn't there? He offers protection throughout the lineup. Edmonds has been the only other star that has been in the lineup. Sanders/Walker/Rolen have a combined 744 at bats with Sanders the only one who was consistently productive while in there.
    Like the Braves the Cards are winning with players playing beyond expectations with Jones/Pujols being the too studs in the lineups, but Pujols's overall numbers are better so I think he'll win it. Plus like I said earlier even though they shouldn't voters will take into account how Pujols has just missed the last two years.
  • Options

<< Mariano for cy young?

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Whew I needed a good laugh...he's not even the best reliever in the AL!>>

Just some more crow you will have to eat when the CY Young is announced. It will add to the crow you eat in a few weeks when the Yankees go to the playoffs for the 11th year in a row.