Home Sports Talk
Options

Where will Ken Griffey Jr. end up in history???

Howdy!
With all these supposed "home run" kings posting huge numbers while on roids good old Ken Griffey Jr. has been climbing the homerun ladder slowly but surely! If he can stay healthy for 3-4 more years he might just catch Willie Mays at 660 dongs.. I feel his place in history will definitely be higher than let's say McGwire, Palmeiro, Bonds, Sosa etc. who have all been known to juice it up... Griffey has admitted to not liking to lift weights and has reached his number by sure talent.. I wonder what he would have done if he would have stayed healthy. He has missed almost the equivalent of 3-4 years with injuries... He's a definite "Hall of Famer" in my book.
Paul

Comments

• Options
    Gemmy10Gemmy10 Posts: 2,990

Griffey is a shoe-in for the HOF.
  • Options

<< <i>Where will Ken Griffey Jr. end up in history??? >>

On the D.L. image
    Go Cowboys!!!!!!!!!! image
  • Options
    AxtellAxtell Posts: 10,037 ✭✭
    Arguably the greatest outfielder of all time.

A run in the 90s that dominated the position for so long, all-star appearances, gold gloves, monstrous home run power, hit for good average too.

• Options
    goose3goose3 Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭
    I caught a highlight yesterday on ESPN....it seems he is very quietly approaching some very respectable numbers this year. I caught thier 5 second highlight of the Reds game during their 59 minute show dedicated solely to to Terrell Owens.
  • Options
    frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,046 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You mean ESPN didn't do the WHOLE show about TO? Amazing!

I also can't believe that Gemmy and Axtell actually agreed on something!

Griffey is a first ballot HOF'er without a doubt. If he can stay healthy, he is capable of at least 4 more years of 30+ homeruns. That puts him over 650. Pretty amazing numbers.

Shane

• Options
    1420sports1420sports Posts: 3,473 ✭✭✭
    In my opinion, Griffey is one of the greats. Had it not been for the injury bug, he would be the one passing Aaron ... naturally, w/o chemical assistance. Funny how all the Bonds supporters over the past two seasons have disappeared.

Ken Griffey Jr - 1st ballot HOFer
    collecting various PSA and SGC cards
  • Options
    1420sports1420sports Posts: 3,473 ✭✭✭
    collecting various PSA and SGC cards
  • Options
    Great read. Too bad baseball itself (sports center, etc) never focuses on the positives that many players do and only plaster the news wires with negative garbage...
  • Options
    CardsFanCardsFan Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭
    No doubt with Bonds the greatest OFers of our time. The other question is will he be traded. And if he goes back to the AL (White Sox) will it help his numbers are hurt. Cincy is great hitters park but if he gets traded he'll probably get moved out of CF which could prolong his career.
  • Options
    goose3goose3 Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭
    Fantastic Story 1420

thanks for linking it for us.
  • Options
    BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭
    The only mystery surrounding Griffey's HOF prospects is: Which tool in the BBWAA will not vote for him? I remember one guy didn't vote for Nolan Ryan because 'he wasn't my first choice of pitchers I would want to have on the mound in a game 7'. I'm sure somebody will come up with equally stupid reasoning for not voting for Junior.
  • Options
    KnucklesKnuckles Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the story. Griffey has always been a stand up guy let alone one of the greatest ball players.
  • Options
    I think Jr. Griffey will be a first-ballot HOFer and will be regarded by most people who are knowledgeable about baseball as a true great, but will most likely not be as much in the popular consciousness as a lot of much less deserving players image But I think he is more than OK with that image
    Kobe Who? image At least Dwyane pays proper respect to Da Big Aristotle image

Yes, I collect shiny modern crap image

All your Shaq are belong to me image
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I will remember Ken Griffey Jr:

As a player who will probably never have a WS ring - but is in good company.

A guy who played hard - full throttle - and got injured because of it.

A great outfielder who hit with power - over 500 HRs - and doesn't appear to have had "help."

A person who put up great numbers in spite of the fact that he lost quite a bit of time due to injuries. I view that as a positive rather than negative.

People seem to want to punish him for his injuries and apparent squandered opportunity to "hit" his way into numerous WS championships - I don't see him like that - with thousands of people who have make it to the big dance, Griffey is on top of that heap in my book.

mike

Mike
  • Options
    I'm sitting on a cracked game used (shows a lot of use with the trademark griffey tape) autographed bat from his days in Seattle. I love all the Jr. talk!
  • Options
    I liken Griffey, Jr. to Mickey Mantle. They have similar stats, but, they both could have laid claim to being the greatest player of all time if not for injuries.
    Always looking for T59 Flags.
  • Options

<< <i>I liken Griffey, Jr. to Mickey Mantle. They have similar stats, but, they both could have laid claim to being the greatest player of all time if not for injuries. >>

And if IFs and BUTs were Candy and Nuts we would all have a merry christmas image
  • Options
    Greatest Homerun hitter of the 90's to not take steriods.
    Ravens= Superbowl Bound
  • Options

<< <i>And if IFs and BUTs were Candy and Nuts we would all have a merry christmas image >>

GoBravesGo = image