Home Sports Talk
Options

You think alcohol was involved? Just maybe?

White Sox, fan both survive
Yankees nearly rally; 18-year-old jumps 40 feet from upper deck

By Mike Fitzpatrick
AP Sports Writer
Posted Wednesday, August 10, 2005

NEW YORK — Jose Contreras wriggled out of trouble all night at Yankee Stadium. One fan apparently put himself in much more serious danger and was fortunate to survive.

Contreras pitched shutout ball against his former team, and the White Sox got home runs from Paul Konerko and Tadahito Iguchi in a 2-1 victory Tuesday night over the New York Yankees.

The game was delayed for four minutes in the eighth inning when an 18-year-old fan, Scott Harper of Armonk, N.Y., plummeted about 40 feet from the upper deck onto the netting behind home plate.

“That was the only exciting thing that happened today,” Yankees owner George Steinbrenner said.

Harper told three friends he was sitting with that he was going to test whether the net would hold his weight — and then he jumped, Det. Kevin Czartoryski said.

Obviously shaken after he landed, Harper sat with his head in his hands for a few moments before climbing on the net back up to the loge level as players watched and the crowd roared. He was hoisted over the railing and led away by security.

After the game, Harper was carted from the ballpark on a stretcher, his head immobilized in a neck brace, and taken to Lincoln Hospital for observation.

He was arrested, and Czartoryski said police expect to charge Harper with reckless endangerment, criminal mischief, criminal trespass and disorderly conduct.

“I’ve never seen anything like that before,” White Sox manager Ozzie Guillen said. “I think that’s New York, you know, anything can happen.”

After Harper was pulled off the net by security, Cliff Politte retired Robinson Cano and Gary Sheffield with a runner on second to end the eighth.

Konerko hit his 28th homer leading off the ninth against Alan Embree.

Alex Rodriguez hit his AL-leading 33rd homer and third in three days leading off the bottom half against Politte.

Bernie Williams, who missed the previous two games with a sore right shoulder, came off the bench for the Yankees with runners at the corners in the ninth. He was 5-for-6 against White Sox closer Dustin Hermanson before lining out to first to end the game.

Hermanson threw only 1 pitch for his 29th save in 30 chances.

The White Sox, who have the best record in baseball, rebounded nicely one night after the Yankees beat another ex-teammate, Orlando Hernandez.

Contreras (7-6) allowed only a first-inning single to Cano, a leadoff single to Rodriguez in the fourth and a leadoff single to Tony Womack in the eighth. The big right-hander struck out six and walked two in 7-plus innings, outpitching Shawn Chacon.

“I think it’s my best outing in a major-league uniform,” Contreras said.

The Yankees signed Contreras to a four-year, $32 million contract after he defected from Cuba in October 2002, but he struggled badly against the rival Boston Red Sox and was inconsistent throughout his season-and-a-half in New York.

He was dealt to the White Sox for Esteban Loaiza at the trade deadline last year.

“His arm angle was a little different. I think he threw a little more sidearm than when he was with us,” Derek Jeter said. “I think it caused his fastball to move more.”

Remember these Chuck Norris Facts

1. When Chuck Norris does a pushup, he isn't lifting himself up, he's pushing the Earth down
2. According to Einstein's theory of relativity, Chuck Norris can actually roundhouse kick you yesterday
3. There are no such things as lesbians, just women who have not yet met Chuck Norris

Comments

• Options

Remember these Chuck Norris Facts

1. When Chuck Norris does a pushup, he isn't lifting himself up, he's pushing the Earth down
    2. According to Einstein's theory of relativity, Chuck Norris can actually roundhouse kick you yesterday
    3. There are no such things as lesbians, just women who have not yet met Chuck Norris
  • Options
    CardsFanCardsFan Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭
    Lot's of alcohol!

It was the second time in five years a fan dropped from the upper deck at Yankee Stadium. In May 2000, 24-year-old Stephen Laurenzi of Yonkers, N.Y., was unconscious for a short time while sprawled on the net as a game between Boston and New York went on. He also was arrested and taken to a hospital for observation.

Has this replaced streaking as the thing to do at major league games?
  • Options
    With 200M+ spent on such a mediocre team, I'm suprised Steinbrenner hasn't "tested" the netting yet.
  • Options
    kid who jumped is just an 18 year old dope....a yankee fan!
  • Options
    AxtellAxtell Posts: 10,037 ✭✭
    I thought this type of thing would be more common in yankee stadium as the team struggles with mediocrity despite a $200 million payroll, that the fans would be leaping out in droves?
  • Options
    Could that be Gemmy10 in the net ?
  • Options
    pandrewspandrews Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭

awesome..
    ·p_A·
  • Options
    Gemmy10Gemmy10 Posts: 2,990

I saw it on TV. They stopped the game for about 5 minutes. The fan was either drunk, on drugs, or an Axtel clone.
  • Options
    DirtyHarryDirtyHarry Posts: 1,914 ✭✭
    Why not??? Rich kid from Armonk feeling his oats. His wealthy dad will spank him, but all is well. He'll put it on his resume.
    "A man's got to know his limitations...." Dirty Harry

Unfocused, impulsive collector of everything ...
  • Options
    AxtellAxtell Posts: 10,037 ✭✭

<< <i>I saw it on TV. They stopped the game for about 5 minutes. The fan was either drunk, on drugs, or an Axtel clone. >>

An axtell clone? That's the best you can do?

Yankees choked away another game tonight spam boy, whatcha gonna do when the white sox come for you!!!

What were you saying about the yankees against good teams again?
  • Options
    Steinbrenner said it was the highlight of the game!!