Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

So i just paid $500... for a checklist (edit: Sold on eBay for $2700)

The '63 Fleer Checklist. Am I crazy?image

Comments

• Options
    Real nice. Great centering. Tough, actually impossible, to find one close to that nice for the price....
  • Options
    HoofHeartedHoofHearted Posts: 2,537 ✭✭

Yup! You're crazy!! Welcome to the club!!! Last year I bought a '63F checklist and the Adcuck(***) to upgrade my raw set. I don't remember off hand what I paid for them. I'll get the set graded one of these years.

Your's is one of the nicest raw ones I've ever seen! Nice pickup - for a crazy person. image

hh

(*** Note: the message board wouldn't let me use a banned word in the players name...)
  • Options
    softparadesoftparade Posts: 9,271 ✭✭✭✭✭
    nice card! Crazy? hell yeah! image

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

• Options
    wolfbearwolfbear Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭

Welcome to the loony bin ... image

This goofy looking card set me back almost $ 600 a couple of months ago :

Pix of 'My Kids'

"How about a little fire Scarecrow ?"
  • Options
    ajwajw Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭
    That's a lot of money, but how else would you know which players you have and which ones you need? I'd use a blue pen and a check mark as opposed to black or red ink with an "x," but that's just my opinion.
  • Options
    ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭
    It looks to be a very nice example of that tough card. Crazy - yes, but so are we all!
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    bs
    Very nice card and one of the better ones I have seen with respect to centering! Can't really tell about the corners for sure. Are you getting it graded?

Congratulations!
    mike

Nice card Wolfie - I've yet to pick one up - can't afford an 8 right now - unless it was a donation!
    Mike
  • Options
    Sending it in as soon as i get the chance. The corners look mint on the front, the back shows a slight touch on one corner. I'm expecting an 8, hoping for a 9.
  • Options
    jskirwinjskirwin Posts: 700 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Welcome to the loony bin ... image

This goofy looking card set me back almost $ 600 a couple of months ago :

image >>

What do you use to check the boxes on the cases though? EVerything I've tried smears. image
  • Options

<< <i>

What do you use to check the boxes on the cases though? EVerything I've tried smears. image >>

image AND image

Pix of 'My Kids'

• Options
    Hey Wolf
    I just realized yours is FB. I have seen so many 63F FB while looking for BB that I am considering the set after I finish mine.

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    Does anyone know the story behind the '63 checklists? Are they just short-printed or is there more to it?
  • Options

Here's an entertaining description of a checklist card in the current Mastronet auction.

Hey stone - 1963 Fleer football is a fun little 89 card set.
    You'll literally be 'seeing red'. Not only because of the design, but because of the centering ( or lack thereof ). image

Pix of 'My Kids'

• Options
    Please do let us know how your card grades out. It should do well!

Here's my original checklist I bought and used 42 yrs ago (now THAT'S how you mark up a checklist!!) and the one I bought last year:

hh
  • Options
    GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    About halfway thru the print run on '63 Fleer baseball #46 Adc**k was pulled and replaced by the checklist, making both short prints. Since the checklists were usually marked or tossed this one is particularly tough. I paid about 700. for a PSA 8 2 years ago. I"m guessing yours will get a 7 or maybe 8, in which case you did quite well for 500.
    In PSA 8 I didn't find Adc**k (how stupid is it that his name gets censored?) that tough, just pricey. The killers for me were Barber, O'Dell, and for some odd reason Dalrymple.

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Options
    RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭
    Crazy...hell no! Imagine finding a checklist, that was short printed, intended to be marker, and still in nice shape. Isn't it sad though, your "Checklist" card is the "highlight" of the set?????!!!?!?!?!! I am just at the VERY beginning of a 63 fleer set, and have benn watching the checklists, nice versions go for 700+. I would be scared to buy one raw of ebay, and some of the psa 7 's and 8's dont have ncie centering.
  • Options
    packCollectorpackCollector Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭
    looks like a nice card , I just paid $814 for a centered psa 8 of that card a month ago , if you get an 8 out of it you made out very well. based on the corners , I would bet a 7 and you paid the right price for a centerd 7. are you crazy , YES, but think of all the other foolish things you could have bought. At least you get a hobby story to go along with this card.
  • Options
    I'll have the grade tomorrow... I've already checked the submission status about 10 times today. Please be 8 please be 8 please be 8.
  • Options
    BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭
    Unless the scan is deceiving the LL and UR corners should keep this card out of a PSA 8 holder. It looks like a slider 7 or a high end 6.

Still, we'll be rooting for you.
  • Options
    kingraider75kingraider75 Posts: 1,500 ✭✭
    nice checklist, clean one's are hard to find.
    Running an Ebay store sure takes a lot more time than a person would think!
  • Options
    So its not an 8..... its a 9!image
  • Options
    90504777 1963 FLEER CHECKLIST 1-66 N/A 9
  • Options
    RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭

<< <i>90504777 1963 FLEER CHECKLIST 1-66 N/A 9 >>

You are kidding us right??
  • Options
    I couldn't believe it either, I thought it had a shot, but wow! During the wait I had convinced myself that I'd missed a wrinkle and it would come back a 5. Goes to show you can still find some nice cards ungraded.
  • Options

<< <i>I couldn't believe it either, I thought it had a shot, but wow! During the wait I had convinced myself that I'd missed a wrinkle and it would come back a 5. Goes to show you can still find some nice cards ungraded. >>

Congratulations!
    When you get it back - how about a scan? That is a rare beauty! That could bring like 3 grand on ebay!

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    That's insane. I might as well put the set together, the rest of it in an 8 probably wouldnt cost 3k.
  • Options
    and dsl gets all the grades? anyone want to buy a set? I just lost all interest in this set seeing that card get a 9. that's the nail in the coffin! all 8's with 1,19,34 in 7 , wills and yaz in 9 or you can have yaz in 8.
  • Options
    GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    Congrats, but I"m blown away. There have been a lot of posts about standards getting more liberal, but this nails it. I thought it would be a 7 at best based on those corners. Maybe it's time to crack and resubmit and sell before the prices on 8's that used to be 6's and 7's drop.

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Options
    The corners were mint under a 10x loupe; I would say its a bad scan behind a old cardsaver and pennysleeve. I'll post a scan when I get and you can decide.
  • Options

<< <i>The corners were mint under a 10x loupe; I would say its a bad scan behind a old cardsaver and pennysleeve. I'll post a scan when I get and you can decide. >>

I hope so because from that scan they all look to have moderate wear , it looks like a 7 . then factor in the top edge and there is no way that card could be a 9, a weak 8 yes , strong 7 yes , but that's about it. if the card was that nice , why did you put up that crappy scan , if it is the scan.
  • Options
    Wow.

Je ne rien.
  • Options
    bs
    I just looked at your scan again and I have to say...every corner appears to have a slight "touch" on my screen?

When you get it back - how about really blowing it up and emailing it to me if you get the time.

This one has me curious?

But, if you put it up on ebay - the fur is going to fly on that one if it's as nice as you say!

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    I agree that the scan seems to show touches on the corners, to be honest, I had the card in my hands for only about an hour before I packed it up to send to PSA. From what I remember, I wasn't very worried about the corners, I thought they were at least PSA 8 quality. I think 3 were definitely mint; one had a slight touch. I was more worried about a missed wrinkle or some unseen damage to the back than anything. I can see why some people think it isnt even close to a 9 with that scan; when I get the card back (monday hopefully), I'll post a scan and I'll send a super-size scan to anyone who wants one (PM me your email addy).

Besides the grade it received, this makes me think that there are definitely some nice raw cards still out there. There are many dealers who simply dont grade card (like the gentleman I purchased from), so there may be gems to be found. I for one am pretty inspired by this; I'll definitely be checking out more of the local card stores rather than trolling on ebay all day. Besides, its more fun!
  • Options
    I think there's plenty of high grade raw still out there, but unfortunately most dealers (obviously not all, as you can firmly attest) have gotten wise to the grading thing.

But anyway-- FANTASTIC results on that card. Congrats are definitely in order!!
  • Options
    Back from PSA!

• Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    GOOD JOB !!!!!!!

WTG!

SD
    Good for you.
  • Options

<< <i>The '63 Fleer Checklist. Am I crazy? >>

According to SMR, you're $2,750 worth of crazy!! image That's THE most valuable '63F card in PSA9, even if it is a 1/13!!!

Way to freakin' go!!!!

• Options
    the corners still looked touched to me , anyone ant to buy a set , gpa 8.10 ? have another lower graded set too if anyone wants it?
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,725 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow - You stole it. Great buy!!!
  • Options
    Way to go!
  • Options
    Great card!

In the world of 63s, I still think that's a nice card....has PSA lowered their standards? I'm laying low.

Heck, tonite my wife said she wasn't interested in Rockstar INXS show anymore - it's fixed, they "know who they want"....yada, yada...my response: "I don't 'overthink' it, just like the music" - OOPS - she got pissed - I felt like I was in a Everyone Loves Raymond episode!!!!

So, I'm not going to overthink this.

CONGRATULATIONS!!!
    SUPERB PICKUP AND GRADE
    mike
    Mike
  • Options
    not to take anything away from getting a high grade and making out like a bandit but here is my question

it seems every other post on these boards is DSL this and 4 sharp that , how did dsl get this grade , look at the overgraded cards dsl is selling .

with that said , what would the thread be if this card was listed by DSL? My answer, Instead of everyone raising their pom pom's , it would be another PSA gives breaks to their big submitters thread.
  • Options
    The card has nice centering, and that is about the only thing one can take from a scan. The person that submitted it and the grader have seen it up close. If DSL or 4 sharp were selling this card I doubt anyone would say they got a break here. The owner has stated that the corners were not an issue, that he was worried if he missed a wrinkle. Lets all be happy for the guy. He found a gem.

JMHO

SD
    Good for you.
  • Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    Without seeing the card in person, we can not fully judge the qualities of this card, nuff said.

Stingray
  • Options
    ok , since now we can not tell anything except centering from a scan , the humor is killing me. theBigHurt is spreading like a disease.

bsfastball, you stated that the corners are mint under a 10X loupe, can you confirm the upper right corner is mint as it sure as hell does not look mint in the scans? actually lower right also? if it is mint , do yourself a favor and throw out your scanner and buy a new one as it will cost you money anytime you sell a card.
  • Options
    gosteelersgosteelers Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭

<< <i>ok , since now we can not tell anything except centering from a scan , the humor is killing me. theBigHurt is spreading like a disease.

bsfastball, you stated that the corners are mint under a 10X loupe, can you confirm the upper right corner is mint as it sure as hell does not look mint in the scans? actually lower right also? if it is mint , do yourself a favor and throw out your scanner and buy a new one as it will cost you money anytime you sell a card. >>

Wow, this poor guy gets a 9 on this card and he's the villain? What did bsfastball do wrong here other than share in his terrific grade?
  • Options
    Carew29Carew29 Posts: 4,026 ✭✭

First round of beers is on you, right? Great Job!! WTG!!
  • Options

<< <i>Wow, this poor guy gets a 9 on this card and he's the villain? What did bsfastball do wrong here other than share in his terrific grade? >>

who said he is the villain and who said he did anything wrong? I am just trying to understand how that card got a 9 . I thought I made it clear that I am not attcking him ! All you read on this board is the breaks the big dealers get but nobody will admit that if the scan is representative of this card he got a huge break
  • Options
    ok , since now we can not tell anything except centering from a scan

for that card yes. (for me anyway)

for cards that are vg etc then I can see corners as well.

it is very hard (for me at least) to judge corners on near mint/mint cards.

no disease here, just logical thinking.

regards,

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,249 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I collect 63 F Football and am the proud owner of a Checklist 7 (OC). All I have to say abouth this card is : Nice Freaking card !!!!!!!!!
    W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.