Home Sports Talk
Options

NCAA Bans Indian Mascots From Postseason

AxtellAxtell Posts: 10,037 ✭✭
Weak.

Link

"The NCAA banned the use of American Indian mascots by sports teams during its postseason tournaments, but will not prohibit them otherwise."

Uhm? If it's so offensive as to ban them from the tournament, why is it ok during the regular season? Talk about waffling! If it's the intent that they truly are so offensive (and I don't see any overwhelming sentiment that says they are), then why not get rid of them entirely? It seems to send a completely mixed message.

Comments

• Options
    goose3goose3 Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭
    how pathetic.

You could make some team's mascot a damn ROCK and someone somewhere would be offended by it.

• Options
    PETA be next, protesting animal mascots.

And we'll be left with mascots like this

Or this

• Options
    ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭

<< <i>how pathetic.

You could make some team's mascot a damn ROCK and someone somewhere would be offended by it. >>

I was thinking the same thing - but, I still don't see how banning the mascots, but only in the postseason, will help? During the regular season, are people less sensitive? Weird move by the NCAA.
  • Options
    Mac53Mac53 Posts: 805
    Aren't Irish people offended by that annoying little Leprechaun who runs around at Notre Dame games? Aren't people of English heritage offended by the "Celtics?" Aren't Greek people offended by the "Spartans?" Don't the Trojans offend someone? How about engineers? Aren't they offended by that guy with a big head and hammer at Purdue games? Don't farmers find the "Cornhuskers" offensive? And how about the New Orleans "Saints?" That offends the whole Catholic church doesn't it?
    "Charlie, here comes the deuce. And when you speak of me, speak well."image
  • Options
    Its a calling card of the times. Used to be if 99 people voted yes and one voted no, the 99 won. Todays times call for the 99 to allow the one to be happy...........
  • Options
    ....it's just the generation that's in "charge" now. The pendulum will swing back the other way someday.....if we make it to someday - LOL
  • Options
    frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,046 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stupid!

Shane

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,828 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I managed to read the article... and it appears that Wisconsin and Iowa are not scheduling any games (sporting events) with those schools that have a mascot such as Chief Illiniwek. Does this mean that the Illinois- Wisconsin rivalry ended? This would be surprising. Illinois-Wisconsin is a fairly big game for both schools.

edited to add:

I don't recall the chief making an appearance at the final four. I DID NOT see him on TV during the North Carolina game

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    CardsFanCardsFan Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I don't recall the chief making an appearance at the final four. I DID NOT see him on TV during the North Carolina game >>

You are correct the Chief didn't go to the tournament. I can't imagine that Iowa and Wisconsin could not play their Big Ten games. Would they forfeit these games?
  • Options
    joestalinjoestalin Posts: 12,473 ✭✭
    The NCAA will also be giving back all the land west of the Mississippi back to the Indians. I knew that basketball players were
    idiots, I didn't think the NCAA was too, I guess I was really really really wrong!

JS
  • Options
    AxtellAxtell Posts: 10,037 ✭✭
    What baffles me the most about this whole thing is why did they do it for the tournament, and not the regular season? If it's truly that offensive to native Americans, why not yank the mascots completely? Why just in the postseason?

Truly baffling.
  • Options
    ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭
    Already, Florida State has said they will challenge this decision.

FSU Article
  • Options
    goose3goose3 Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭

A tree hugger might find this one offensive.image
  • Options
    As a joke I sometimes talk about suing the Minnesota Vikings because of their depiction of Scandanavians as a fierce, war-like people insults my cultural heritage. At least the Viking logo is some what masculine. I agree that if I were Irish I'd really be offended by the Notre Dame logo, it looks like a scrawny little drunk looking for a fight.

I guess this is how we wind up with wussy team names like the (Orlando) "Magic".
    building raw FB sets, 59-72, 74-77
    basketball 69/70-75/76, baseball 1974
    ExMt or better, lot of trading material.
  • Options
    DeutscherGeistDeutscherGeist Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭✭
    "Its a calling card of the times. Used to be if 99 people voted yes and one voted no, the 99 won. Todays times call for the 99 to allow the one to be happy........... "

That is one way to see things. I wonder if you heard of postmodernity? We are moving from the industrial stage on to the post-industrial stage. Our economic orientations are changing too. Postmodernism allows for minority voices to be heard and does not believe in universal values. Uniformity and assimilation was a side effect of an industrial economy, but the upcoming information technology needs a diversity of peoples to draw from, not a uniform one, therefore minority views and thinking are fostered. They need to be fostered. Majority cannot win because we are living in a world where conformity no longer helps us. Jobs dont last 30-40 years anymore. I am sure most of you guys have changed jobs several times, so conformity would just prevent you from moving forward and adjusting to the heart beat of the global economy. Welcome to globalization people.
    "So many of our DREAMS at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we SUMMON THE WILL they soon become INEVITABLE "- Christopher Reeve

BST: Tennessebanker, Downtown1974, LarkinCollector, nendee
  • Options
    Mac53Mac53 Posts: 805
    "Charlie, here comes the deuce. And when you speak of me, speak well."image
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,828 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think Brutus is safe at the moment and perhaps it is a good thing that Badgers, Gophers, Wildcats and Wolverines don't talk...

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    don't people have better things to do than get offended by team mascots? that being said that chief the illini trot out at 1/2 time is really just plain wrong. and the tomahawk chop in atlanta is really annoying.
  • Options
    IrishMikeIrishMike Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭

<< <i>how pathetic.

You could make some team's mascot a damn ROCK and someone somewhere would be offended by it. >>

Hey in my High School playing days I was a Plymouth Rockie in football. image
  • Options
    if you ban the seminoles, you have to ban the braves the redskins the indians and so forth.
    Who's this hurting btw? Is it all political? Sounds like BS
    Real recognize REAL