Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

2nd Chance Offer scam

A new (or maybe old) scam being tried is to contact the bidders on an expensive item and offer them a fake 2nd Chance Offer. It's pretty obvious it's a fake, if you've ever received a real 2nd Chance Offer. Instead of going to a Buy It Now page, you are asked to contact the "seller" at an e-mail address. (Whereupon you are directed to send them an MO or Western Union, I suppose)

eBay Safe Harbor confirmed this one was fraudulent, and I happened to know the real seller. If you get an e-mail like this, forward it to spoof@eBay.com and they will investigate.

Good news! The following eBay item on which you placed a bid is now available for purchase: You expressed interest in an item titled 1933 Goudey Babe Ruth #144 PSA 5 Item number: 5215582313 by bidding, however the auction has ended with another member as the high bidder. Second Chance offers can be sent to any of the non-winning bidders if the high bidder does not buy the item, if a seller has duplicate items, or the reserve price is not met.Ebay Second Chance Offer is made to give another opportunity to non-winning bidders to purchase the wanted items. If you accept this offer, you will be able to exchange Feedback with the seller and will be eligible for eBay services associated with a transaction, such as fraud protection. To purchase this item contact the seller at: sysuxxx@gmail.com Thank you, eBay Inc

Comments

• julen23julen23 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭
    we should all send our collective username/passswords to our european friends, what the hell huh?

after the first couple of years of unsuccessfully attempting to get our login information, i feel kind of bad and they sure are working hard to get our information.

spamkiller or any anti-spam related softwares prevents 100% of this sh%t from ever entering your inbox btw.

Julen
    RIP GURU
  • jrdolanjrdolan Posts: 2,549 ✭✭
    I have my filter set up to allow emails from eBay. The return address on this one said it came from eBay. (It lied, but my filter is not smart enough to know when a return address is not real)
  • bobbyw8469bobbyw8469 Posts: 7,139 ✭✭✭
    A new scam has popped up that looks pretty good but is obviously fake. Originating out of Russia. Everyone be careful.
  • jlzinckjlzinck Posts: 907 ✭✭
    8 year old bumps are sexy
    I thought this had been talked about recently, but I couldn't find it....no need to make a new thread if it has been recently discussed.....
  • Baez578Baez578 Posts: 967 ✭✭✭

<< <i>A new scam has popped up that looks pretty good but is obviously fake. Originating out of Russia. Everyone be careful. >>

What makes it look pretty good? Any major differences between new scam and "recent" one above?
    Thanks for heads up
    He is getting emails from the underbidders somehow, when that is "supposedly" private. Has a pic of the card, and all the right wording....I can do a screenshot and post later on tonight.