Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Jade Rare Coin ANA Show Report with pics: Revenge of the Rubber Chicken!!

I am writing this from the San Francisco airport at 9 PM (PST) simply because I have been too busy until now to make a post. That pretty much sums up the ANA National Money Show for 2005; BUSY! Not in terms of attendance, but rather business in general. I got bumped on my Tuesday morning flight and did not make it to to the show in time for dealer set-up. I arrived early Wednesday to register, but there was a computer glitch and many dealers had trouble getting their badges. By the time I finally got into the show, the public was right behind me. I was swamped immediately and, by the end of the day, was only able to set up 2 out of 4 cases of material. Thursday was similar, as I was hit with retail business right from the start of the show and only got another case and a half set up. Business died down a bit on Saturday, but it was still a busy day in terms of table activity. I stayed until 3 PM on Sunday, but there were few actual collectors walking the floor. I sold a few coins, but some of the people were not even collectors. For example, I sold an 1853 quarter in VF to an electrician who worked for the convention center. I think I have him interested in coin collecting now!

There was a big ruckus in the lobby on Friday, so I went out to see what was going on. Turns out that MadMarty was fighting with the registration people because they would not let his rubber chicken in without having a valid ANA membership number. MadMarty eventually signed the chicken up for a life membership and everything got back to normal.

I have to catch my plane in half an hour, so this will be a short report. I may add to it later....when I get back in the office tomorrow. Please ask questions if you would like, and I will answer them on Monday or Tuesday. In the meantime, here are some pics. I wish that I had time to take more pics, but it was a busy show.

Here's a pic of the lobby before you enter the bourse. There was a wonderful room upstairs that was filled with exhibits and such. The ANA did a great show in terms of infrastructure and displays. Very professional work by the ANA.

A shot of the bourse on Thursday afternoon. The bourse was very large and it was difficult to capture the true size of the floor from my position. It would have been better to take the pic from a higher elevation, but nothing was available.

Another shot of the bourse.

Here's a shot of JrGMan (George) to the left and our newest forum member (name/handle withheld by request). We actually signed him up right from our booth at the show. He's a very knowledgeable numismatist and will surely be able to add to this forum. He specializes in Bust Halves and a few other areas.

Here's a pic of Cameron Keifer at the ICG table. Finally had a chance to formally meet him. He's a very nice guy! I accidentally bumped into his microscope and was shocked to learn that it is just a prop; made out of styro-foam. The books in the background are props too. Oh well.

GOTTA GO! BOARDING THE PLANE NOW!!!!!!!!!

www.jaderarecoin.com - Updated 6/8/06. Many new coins added!

Our eBay auctions - TRUE auctions: start at $0.01, no reserve, 30 day unconditional return privilege & free shipping!

Comments

• Options
    ERER Posts: 7,345
    He's giving Jr the finger!image
  • Options
    mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭

<< <i>He's giving Jr the finger!image >>

Either that or he's saying "you talking to me?"
  • Options
    marzmarz Posts: 1,601
    Hey George!,
    when you come on here....

show them your "R-7" half dime!

I have some photos to post as well............these guys were fun to talk to. I took Cameron out for lunch on Saturday and walked all over Chinatown with him. I brought him to a fortune cookie factory I knew of in high school in a seedy alley. Had to rattle my memory for a block or two but we found it! He loved it and brought a big bag of cookies back to the show after having the best chinese food on the planet I promised him. He graded the restaurant an MS-68*** Some big real estate money mogul sitting with us got paged while we were sitting there from Heritage being outbid on a big dollar coin lot!.We talked coins with him for a while. it was a lot of fun........

live each day like it's your last but don't count on it!
  • Options
    TassaTassa Posts: 2,373 ✭✭
  • Options
    TootawlTootawl Posts: 5,877 ✭✭✭
    Poor George.
    PCGS Currency: HOF 2013, Best Low Ball Set 2009-2014, 2016, 2018. Appreciation Award 2015, Best Showcase 2018, Numerous others.
  • Options
    ERER Posts: 7,345

<< <i>

<< <i>He's giving Jr the finger!image >>

Either that or he's saying "you talking to me?" >>

Or, "you want a piece of me?"image
  • Options

Well, I just returned from the ANA. Man! What a voyage that was! Anyway, I am glad to be back home. My next show is next week in Baltimore (one of my favorite shows).

I was in a hurry as I wrote the original post to this thread, so it did not contain much information. Sorry. I should have mentioned that I met more forum members than ever at the ANA. I think that is because most members live in California. I would give you a list, but I know that I would leave out several people. My brain is fried.

In summary, I would say that this was a fantastic show and the dealers were giving out an optimistic vibe regarding the market/hobby. I concur. The only complaint that I had was the notable lack of collector grade type coins. There were notably less early U.S. type coins available for purchase. Pretty scary, huh? It is my belief that early type is way under-valued on the sheets. Conversely, I think that Morgans, Walkers, etc. are actually over-priced, in general (there are exceptions).

Our eBay auctions - TRUE auctions: start at $0.01, no reserve, 30 day unconditional return privilege & free shipping!
  • Options
    coinlieutenantcoinlieutenant Posts: 9,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good report Dennis.

• Options
    LeeGLeeG Posts: 12,162
    image "Top Notch" as always! Make sure you let us know when the new website goes "Live"! Thanks
  • Options
    PrethenPrethen Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭
    Hmmmmm....maybe Cameron was just a prop too! I think he might have gone off searching for the ladies out on the Wharf. image

[Just playing with ya Cam!]
  • Options
    dorkkarldorkkarl Posts: 12,692 ✭✭✭
    good thing it's your brain that's fried, & not the rubber chicken!

K S
  • Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,760 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i> I accidentally bumped into his microscope and was shocked to learn that it is just a prop; made out of styro-foam. The books in the background are props too. >>

I KNEW IT!

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options
    TorinoCobra71TorinoCobra71 Posts: 8,023 ✭✭✭
    Great Report, Thanks!

TorinoCobra71

• Options
    poorguypoorguy Posts: 4,317
    I recognize a board member in this photo. image

Brandon Kelley - ANA - 972.746.9193 - http://www.bestofyesterdaycollectibles.com
  • Options
    Purple73Purple73 Posts: 2,016
    Cookney? the guy bent over?

LMAO!

PURPLE!
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭

<< <i><< He's giving Jr the finger! >> >>

Looks like he'll fit in around here just fine. image

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    dorancoinsdorancoins Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭
    WHERE'S THE RUBBER CHICKEN??????????????????
    DORAN COINS - On Facebook, Instagram, X (formerly Twitter), & www.dorancoins.net - UPCOMING SHOWS (tentative dates)- 10/8/2023 - Fairfield, IL, 11/5/2023 - Urbana, IL., 12/3/2023 - Mattoon, IL.
  • Options
    toyonakatarotoyonakataro Posts: 407 ✭✭✭
    Dennis- thank you very much for helping me getting rid of those raw coins I brought in. I really appreciate your effort and your fair offer...I was able to buy a few neat coins with that money.
  • Options

<< <i>Dennis- thank you very much for helping me getting rid of those raw coins I brought in. I really appreciate your effort and your fair offer...I was able to buy a few neat coins with that money. >>

Taro, you are welcome! It was a pleasure meeting you. For other board members who may not know, toyonakataro is a forum member from Japan. He travelled from Japan just to attend the ANA and buy some coins for his collection. He specializes in Seated Half Dimes, as I recall. He stated that he is probably the only collector of U.S. Half Dimes in Japan, which is probably true. Taro is a very nice person and it was a pleasure to talk with him. He brought in a heavy box of miscellaneous U.S. coins that were "off quality", but still collectable. We purchased those coins so that he could put that money into higher quality coins for his collection.

We met many other forum members at the show and had a great time from start to finish.

• Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,331 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Here's a pic of Cameron Keifer at the ICG table. Finally had a chance to formally meet him. He's a very nice guy! I accidentally bumped into his microscope and was shocked to learn that it is just a prop; made out of styro-foam. The books in the background are props too. Oh well. >>

Well he is still the "Junior Grader". You don't need a microscope to grade modern crap. image
    Tempus fugit.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file