Home U.S. Coin Forum

What excites me most, in numismatics, is getting a (fill in the blank)...

RYKRYK Posts: 35,772 ✭✭✭✭✭
XF-45 Dahlonega half-eagle. Certainly, I buy and own more exotic, scarcer, and higher grade stuff, but I still am truly excited when a nice, original choice, XF Dahlonega $5 is heading my way. They are harder to find than you would think.

Fortunately, one is headed my way.

imageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimage

Comments

• MadMartyMadMarty Posts: 16,697 ✭✭✭
    an accent hair proof set before Russ gets it!!!
    It is not exactly cheating, I prefer to consider it creative problem solving!!!

• ERER Posts: 7,345
    So, where is the pic?image
  • the exact coin in the exact grade that I was looking to obtain.
  • RYKRYK Posts: 35,772 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So, where is the pic?

I have not seen the coin, yet. It was not from an auction.
  • PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,301 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Getting a nice coin at a fair price is enough to excite me.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    A nice high-grade brown proof indian cent with strong mirrors and frost.
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • MICHAELDIXONMICHAELDIXON Posts: 6,373 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What excites me most, in numismatics, is getting a call from one of the boardmembers wanting to talk about coins. Those of you who know me, know I can talk and have alot of stories, advice, etc.
    Spring National Battlefield Coin Show is April 12-13, 2024 at the Eisenhower Hotel in Gettysburg, PA. WWW.AmericasCoinShows.com
  • LeeGLeeG Posts: 12,162
    Purchasing any coin with amazing "Eye Appeal"!image
  • 66Tbird66Tbird Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭
    I'm at the unobtainable state of MS seated dollars.,,,,,, ahhhummm,,,,,
    Need something designed and 3D printed?
  • BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ... coin with fewer than 100 known examples, in any condition.

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• mirabelamirabela Posts: 4,954 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ... chance to peruse a whole bunch of folks' cases to see which coins bellow so loudly at me I just can't pass them up. I like shows, and I rarely get to go to them.
    mirabela
  • MyqqyMyqqy Posts: 9,777
    I know this is a little lame...... but when I acquire a choice prooflike or beautifully toned morgan.......... image
    My style is impetuous, my defense is impregnable !
  • ERER Posts: 7,345
    ...is seeing the USPS/FedEx delivery person.image
  • fcfc Posts: 12,788 ✭✭✭
    when a new half eagle shows up on my desk.

of course, it might not be as sexy as what RYK's gets, but my new 1904-P
    will be the first complete year i own. The 1904-S being the other half
    eagle minted that year.

a very minor achievement in a very long series.
  • pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,558 ✭✭✭✭✭
    great coin I've been searching for, at a fair price, from someone who I know (or get to know) as a friend/associate in this hobby

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242
  • MrSpudMrSpud Posts: 4,498 ✭✭✭
    Actually one of the things I enjoy the most is to "fill in the blank". As in filling in the last hole in an album or getting the last coin in a series.
  • relayerrelayer Posts: 10,570
    ...getting a nice coin you've been hunting for - cheap! image
    My posts viewed image times
    since 8/1/6

• << <i>XF-45 Dahlonega half-eagle. Certainly, I buy and own more exotic, scarcer, and higher grade stuff, but I still am truly excited when a nice, original choice, XF Dahlonega $5 is heading my way. They are harder to find than you would think.

Fortunately, one is headed my way.

imageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimage >>

Here is a little quarter eagle to tide you over. I even carried it to the site of the mint.

• BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,454 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Finding and buying an R-5 or better bust half dime provides me a great thrill. When the coin can be cherrypicked, it's even better!
  • DD Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭
    Finding the top pop 1916 SLQ in circulation...

I'd imagine that'd be a nice feeling image.

-Daniel
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."

-Aristotle

Dum loquimur fugerit invida aetas. Carpe diem quam minimum credula postero.

-Horace
  • dizzyfoxxdizzyfoxx Posts: 9,823 ✭✭✭

<What excites me most, in numismatics, is getting a...>
    ...coin that makes me react like this...imageimageimageimageimageimageimage

image...There's always time for coin collecting. image
  • KISHU1KISHU1 Posts: 2,096 ✭✭✭
    Getting a coin at a show that the dealer just tried to screw the seller on. image
  • getting a coin job....... ya know, working for a coin dealer imageimage

Actually, because I am just starting out, recieving any nice coin to add to my collection.
  • Finding a woman that is single and has all the coins, already certified, that I need to finish my Registry set. When she finds out I am interested in the coins says, "This old stuff, why you can have them."
    "Im not young enough to know everything."
    Oscar Wilde

Collect for the love of the hobby, the beauty of the coins, and enjoy the ride.

Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.
  • brand new set started....
  • cladkingcladking Posts: 28,307 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ...finding something new. Preferably it's an unknown coin, token or variety but
    learning something new is great too. New coins are even better when they are
    available cheap or already in my collection. image
    Tempus fugit.
  • Buying a group of coins and then finding a scarce date in the mix I bought 100 silver coins for 4x face (i did give him extra) then finding a 1921d f condition LWH at the bottom of the can image also my wife to be works at a bank and now and then come home with coins or bills (the latest a 1928 silver cert) that she bought at face value $1.00) just sold on ebay for 17+ dollars any coin with great eye apeal ,toned,rare dated,I said that , and like some one said seeing the ups or mail truck LMAO IT IS ALMOST LIKE CHRISTMAS EVERY DAY BUT I AM STILL LOOKING FOR THE 1 THAT WILL BE THE BEST OF THE BEST LOL I have a few top pop raw but someday I will send them in other than that all coins make me happy
    ThumbsUp;
    Ebay Seller I.D
    the_northern_trading_company
    ace@airadv.net
    imageimage

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file