Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

QUESTION ABOUT 1996 MINT SET WITH W DIME FB

Hi,I need to ask the experts here a question,I have a 1996 mint set with the w dime fb I belive it would go ms67+? sould I sell the whole set for a high price or submit the dime for the grade?
Also all the other coins in the set are great ms65/66+ fs on both jeffersons . What would the experts here suggest? I value everyones opinion here, I have learned very much since I joined pcgs .
Many Thanks ,Dave
MoJoMaN
Ebay Seller I.D
the_northern_trading_company
ace@airadv.net
imageimage

Comments

• Options
    jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,596 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I let the modern folks give you info On realized prices, but unless the dime grades 66FB or better, its probably not worth breaking the set.

In fact funny story: I went to get two sets last week for a customer from a dealer that I work with, but he only had 1 set. He said its hard to keep them in stock as they are popular becuase of the W dime. So today, I go out to the local flea market vendor becuase I remember that he had some. He did about three of them. so I pick up one and low and behold no W dime. In fact all three sets the dime was missing. The dealer looked surprised and it appears that someone has lifted all three of the dimes from his sets??

jim
  • Options
    67fb and youll about break even....if it's a good shot at 68, it's worth a trip to the beach.
    "Wars are really ugly! They're dirty
    and they're cold.
    I don't want nobody to shoot me in the foxhole."
    Mary

Best Franklin Website
  • Options
    StrikeOutXXXStrikeOutXXX Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Local antique/coin shop got 7 or 8 of these sets in stock today. Not something I normally look at, and this was the most recent thread on the matter, so figured it could use a bump rather than start a new thread.

Is there anything special to look for in these sets? They do all have the dime, but they're marked $25each.

Any valuable variations on these sets to look for in these? $25 about right or way too far off of greysheet?

Thanks!
    ------------------------------------------------------------

"You Suck Award" - February, 2015

Discoverer of 1919 Mercury Dime DDO - FS-101
  • Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
    you can get the sets on ebay all day...less than $25 should be the price including delivery
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,333 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The W dime comes pretty nice. A 67 is a little special but they're easily enough to find
    that most people would look through the twenty or thirty sets needed to find their own.
    A 68 FB is pretty tough.

All gems in a set is a real exception. While MS-65 isn't high enough for any of these to
    warrant slabbing a set of all in this high a grade is a fluke. I haven't looked at enough
    '96's to get a good handle on how tough it is but individual packets of sets from this era
    are usually in the .5 to 1% range.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options

<< <i>Local antique/coin shop got 7 or 8 of these sets in stock today. Not something I normally look at, and this was the most recent thread on the matter, so figured it could use a bump rather than start a new thread.

Is there anything special to look for in these sets? They do all have the dime, but they're marked $25each.

Any valuable variations on these sets to look for in these? $25 about right or way too far off of greysheet?

Thanks! >>

The price is reasonable but remember most of the value is in the dime.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    66Tbird66Tbird Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭
    Was the dime the first to get a W mintmark on circulated type coins? I don't recall any others. I like them better than the 49S for some reason.
    Need something designed and 3D printed?
  • Options

<< <i>Was the dime the first to get a W mintmark on circulated type coins? I don't recall any others. I like them better than the 49S for some reason. >>

It's not only the first but is the only as well.

The survival rate is high but the demand could become substantially higher than the demand for the '49-S since this series is in circulation.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    RichieURichRichieURich Posts: 8,371 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The 1996-W dime is the only W mintmark coin in a circulating type series. I found one in a dealer's case a few years ago in the original mint cello for the huge price of $1. I thought it was a good buy, so I bought it.

An authorized PCGS dealer, and a contributor to the Red Book.

• Options
    fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
    Many people pulled the dimes out so becareful when buying. The set should sell for less if the dime has been removed. The dime is in its own cello.

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,481 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Chances are the set with out the "W" dime is not worth much more than face value.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file