Home U.S. Coin Forum

We buy money for thousand of times face value!!

saintgurusaintguru Posts: 7,724 ✭✭✭
You know that many people see this as insanity and want to sell stuff to us.image

Comments

• FullStrikeFullStrike Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭
    Yeah, it sure does seem crazy. But how many actually buy a Coin without buying into the belief that one day they could sell for more than they paid for it? There's more to this madness than exchanging $1000.00 for 10 cents. If there was no perceived "investment", how many would do this? Those who say they don't care about losing money are just in denial. Or they are just a Coin Dealer.image
  • mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    My wife reminds me of that constantly, suggesting that she could take my collection and go buy a paper with it.
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • My wife reminds me of that constantly, suggesting that she could take my collection and go buy a paper with it.

LOL My wife is now telling me I coulda bought her a new car with the money I've spent in the last 2 or 3
    years.
  • ddbirdddbird Posts: 3,168 ✭✭✭
    I dont know...its a nice feeling paying $300 for a half dollar coin...

Its like squandering money...image
  • RYKRYK Posts: 35,772 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My wife reminds me of that constantly, suggesting that she could take my collection and go buy a paper with it.

Maybe, but with all those IHCs, I am not sure that you can get a Sunday New York Times. I know it sounds like I am bragging, but I could probably buy a FULL YEAR subscription to the Sunday NYT with my collection. image (But who would want to read that crap?)
  • ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,759 ✭✭✭✭
    Hey, we're not buying money, we're buying "collectibles".

It's no different than Beanie Babies.

Uh... on second thought...

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • ddbirdddbird Posts: 3,168 ✭✭✭
    beanie babies...hahah

I still have about 200...I kinda like em though image

<< <i>I dont know...its a nice feeling paying $300 for a half dollar coin...Its like squandering money... >>

Yeah that's a really cool feeling. How else do you explain someone sitting in a slots parlor pumping $300 of Halves into a machine in an hour or so. They lose but next week there they are again. Sounds really stupid until the day they win $6,000.00.

They smile for a while and then go to the $20 machines and dump every last bit of it - in about another hour.

Oh what a feeling...................image
  • cladkingcladking Posts: 28,307 ✭✭✭✭✭
    At least moderns will work in vending machines. image
    Tempus fugit.
  • BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    if you have "cool coins" they will always be worth many many times face value..

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• BoomBoom Posts: 10,165
    Day be woice habits. Lease dis way we hab sump'n to show fuh it radda dan flushin' it down the tawlit. image

New caws git ole too sept day don't prieesheate less day git reel ole and b'come clathics aw anteeks....and as faw dis

<< <i>Sounds really stupid until the day they win $6,000.00. >>

Day ain't won nuttin' but day own dim money back den gib it rot bakk. image

So, mind 'em of dis win day tay such toopid, toopid, ah ah ah thah thtoopid sit lock dat.

Dat be ma bebonikth faw da day.image

Laffin mah ace off. image

Ah be at mah baby's momma house. image
  • ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭
    I paid over 150,000 times face value for one of my coins...
  • SG, feeling insecure again? image
  • LincolnCentManLincolnCentMan Posts: 5,347 ✭✭✭✭
    Been there, done that, got the coin. image

David
  • Coins are pieces of art.
  • BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,427 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yep, been there, done that.

I think my 1793 half cent cost me over 500,000 times face. Today it's worth million times face. image
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?

<< <i>Yep, been there, done that.
    I think my 1793 half cent cost me over 500,000 times face. Today it's worth million times face >>

Please sir, honor us with a picture. I've always wanted a 1793, I know I'll never get one, a pic would be right in my price range.image
  • MICHAELDIXONMICHAELDIXON Posts: 6,373 ✭✭✭✭✭
    When I first started collecting, I paid .85 for an XF Walking Liberty half. My mother was furious and wanted to know why anybody would pay more than face value for a coin. I started selling coins and bringing in money and she was amazed. The first time a coin collection came up for sale and was offered to me, she loaned me money to buy it!
    Spring National Battlefield Coin Show is April 12-13, 2024 at the Eisenhower Hotel in Gettysburg, PA. WWW.AmericasCoinShows.com
  • BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,427 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have to put a rain check on that one. Just discovered I don't have a photo of the coin in my files. Gotta go to the bank. Sorry
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file