Home Sports Talk
Options

Oakland on Fire

AxtellAxtell Posts: 10,037 ✭✭
Yes, they have surged the past few years in the second half, but is anyone else reminded of the Braves with their ability to lose key player after key player (this year 2/3 of their premier starters), yet they pull rabbits out of their hats.

Both teams fall short in the post-season, but still, their accomplishments in the regular season (especially the second half) is nothing short of miraculous.

Just saw a stat: the A's and Astros this year both have been at 15 games under .500 this year, and as of today, are 10 games above .500.

Amazing run.

Comments

• Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Just saw a stat: the A's and Astros this year both have been at 15 games under .500 this year, and as of today, are 10 games above .500.

Amazing run. >>

I cannot recall this much excitement for only being July and this series against the Mets has been one for the ages. The chants have been AMAZING (some I cannot post on this forum)!! This weekend has been a blast and I hope we can pull another one out today. I cannot describe in words the electricity at the stadium... Eh, if we lose, we lose... But to see the crowds at the stadium is totally worth it. It's something you never see down here, especially this time of the year. It's something magical.. I just hope my liver can hold up today. I'm gonna need some serious detox image
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    Gemmy10Gemmy10 Posts: 2,990

Now you know what it is like to be a Yankee fan....well almost. Da Leader is in search of a ring for his pinky.
  • Options
    Good way to ruin the thread spammy...do you have to ruin every thread by bringing up the god-forsaken yankees?
  • Options
    Nice spam tie-in...

Do you know what it's like cheering for "your" team, Spammy? You know adopted/bandwagon teams are not the same as your hometown team, right?

Oh but that's right, you have been a baseball and Yankees fan since 1969 (allegedly)... So in your head, it's just like a hometown team...

Speaking of, that means you are at least 35 years old (even though you can't really be a fan while still a new born baby). Staying up all night and boasting/arguing/spamming on a forum at your age? HA! Now I understand....
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    How can this be?!?!?

Axtel and I are on-line at the same time!! Someone call the Mod police, there must be a glitch since we are one in the same!!

• Options

First of all it is not the same time unless 10:56 AM = 10:58 AM. I am convinced more than ever that you are the same person since you are spending so much time trying to disprove it. And it doesn't take a rocket scientist to realize this.
  • Options
    Spammy, spammy, spammy.

Go ask CU to pull our IPs. Better yet, why don't you go, get on the phone, and ask your mommy 'why are there two people who hate the way I post?'
  • Options
    Shanty Town (Axtey),
    Your anti-virus software is expired. The red thingy is showing on your screen print image I might have saved you from getting a computer virus. Thank me later. image
  • Options
    i think the big crowds in atlanta are a direct result of that local kid,francouer, he could be the most popular man ever to wear a atlanta braves jersey. also please elimanate all these yankee pics in every thread!
  • Options

<< <i>Spammy, spammy, spammy.

Go ask CU to pull our IPs. Better yet, why don't you go, get on the phone, and ask your mommy 'why are there two people who hate the way I post?' >>

Why should he get on the phone when all he has to do is walk into his parent's room?

Unfortunately, while I would enjoy carring on disproving your conspiracy, I have a game to attend. Funny, considering Spammy is a season ticket holder, he rarely ever goes to the games... I guess Mommy and Daddy won't be giving him a ride over state lines image
  • Options
    ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭
    The A's and the Astros are truly on incredible runs right now - very fun to watch these two teams come back to life. I would like to see Houston put it together, to give Clemens a post-season run, and show that they could win without Beltran.
  • Options
    CardsFanCardsFan Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭
    I was really enjoying the Astro run, but now that I'm starting to worry about them catching the Cards I'd like to see them cool off a bit. Another Cards/Astros NLCS would be great.
  • Options
    Their home record is among the best in baseball, but they're well below .500 on the road, and I don't see them over-taking Anaheim who plays much better on the road.... But their wild-card chances are very good.

Brian
  • Options
    ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭
    Speaking of Oakland, isn't it amazing how they traded two of their "big 3" pitchers, and still found another great young pitcher to team up with Zito? I thought they were crazy to break the three of them up, looks like a good move now!
  • Options

<< <i>Speaking of Oakland, isn't it amazing how they traded two of their "big 3" pitchers, and still found another great young pitcher to team up with Zito? I thought they were crazy to break the three of them up, looks like a good move now! >>

Moneyball works.

But I think the approach still falls short in postseason play....but still a good way to be competitive in the regular season.
  • Options
    D'Oh!

I seriously doubt we will be able to catch the Cards; those guys are just too good. We could have made up some ground but they recently swept us image