Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Lurkers please read this message

Do not clean your coins! I repeat, do not clean your coins!!! image

This message is provided as a public service to finders of hidden coin stashes everywhere in the world.
Former owner, Cambridge Gate collection.

Comments

• Options
    wildjagwildjag Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭
    And dont try to Artificially tone them either image
  • Options

<< <i>And dont try to Artificially tone them either >>

Turning off the oven as we speak... image
    Vern
    You want how much?!!
    NapoleonicMedals.org
    (Last update 3/6/2007)
  • Options
    1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭
    And don't even think of putting them in PVC flips either. Use mylar products.

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • Options
    Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭
    You mean I can't use this on my coins anymore?

"It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • Options
    Stay away from TV shopping channels for coins, though it's mostly Liteside anyway
  • Options
    SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭✭
    Eat lots of fruits.image
    Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options
    BailathaclBailathacl Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭
    No running with scissors or smoking near acetone.... image
    "The Internet? Is that thing still around??" - Homer Simpson
  • Options
    Lurkers - stop and say HI

We are friendly and have cookies, now where was that pic of cookie monster?

Dr J
  • Options
    JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's all fun and games till someone loses an eye.....
    Some coins are just plain "Interesting"
  • Options
    wybritwybrit Posts: 6,953 ✭✭✭
    We are friendly and have cookies, now where was that pic of cookie monster?

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    And all this time there were cookies and no one told me...image But that's okay... they were only concerned that I might accidently dunk one in my martini glass...

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    So what really prompted me to post this thread?

An email that reads as follows:

Thanks for all the info on your website. It's spurred me on to do something I've been meaning to get around to for quite a while.

[removed one sentence here]. I have a collection of English coins - pennies, halfpennies, threepennies, shillings - ranging in date from 1878-1967. I collected these coins during the late 60s - early 70s.

The older ones in particular are tarnished. How do you recommend that I clean them?

Some of the older ones are quite worn but dates and inscriptions are visible.

Obviously, I'm curious about their value and I'll be looking into that once they've been polished up

I thank you for your time and look forward to your reply

Yours sincerely

(name removed)
  • Options
    AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭
    I agree with Wybrit, it is better to clean someone else's coins!
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wybrit:

With all due respect... I don't have a web site and do not have that contact with folks that just may not have the knowledge with respect to coins that many collectors almost take for granted. I certainly agree that coins should not be cleaned and I did not mean to distract from the seriousness of the message of this post. I am sorry and I did not mean to take anything away from the message that we all share and wish to communicate to others.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭
    Cookies and coins do not go together, someone could get mixed up and eat a crown!
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options

<< <i>Cookies and coins do not go together, someone could get mixed up and eat a crown! >>

Chuckle, now that might chip a tooth!
    100% DAV, Been There and Done That!
    166 BHDs & 154 Die Varieties & Die States...
    Bust Half Nut Club #180

Festivus Yes! Bagels No!
  • Options
    dorancoinsdorancoins Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Do not clean your coins! I repeat, do not clean your coins!!! image

This message is provided as a public service to finders of hidden coin stashes everywhere in the world. >>

And if you clean your coins, you will really, really regret it. When it comes to cleaning coins, Doran Coins says, "JUST SAY NO!"
    DORAN COINS - On Facebook, Instagram, X (formerly Twitter), & www.dorancoins.net - UPCOMING SHOWS (tentative dates)- 10/8/2023 - Fairfield, IL, 11/5/2023 - Urbana, IL., 12/3/2023 - Mattoon, IL.
  • Options
    1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭
    Coinkat, you are such a trouble-maker over here. image Now send us each an (UNCLEANED) apology coin!!

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • Options
    trbyrnetrbyrne Posts: 31 ✭✭
    No cleaning here. My Peruvian 1 soles have all of their original grime.
  • Options
    No cleaning here. My Peruvian 1 soles have all of their original grime.

image and welcome!
  • Options
    FairlanemanFairlaneman Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I picked up the suggestion about the use of Olive Oil on this board. Is this considered a No-No also ?

Scrub a Dub....Ouch !!!!!

Ken