Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Old green holder (OGH) cynicism

2»

Comments

• Options
    SoCalBigMarkSoCalBigMark Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭✭✭

They did not do FBL designation on rattlers so you can score that way as well.

• Options
    jtlee321jtlee321 Posts: 2,356 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's simple... For me personally an older holder, whether it be PCGS, NGC or ANACS alway's attracts my attention first. Once it has grabbed my attention, I will scrutinize the coin and make an assessment of it based on it and not the number on the holder. If I like the coin and the number on the holder is lower than what I think it should be, I will buy it. If I don't like the coin, regardless if I agree with the number or not, I will pass. It's simply the old adage of buy the coin and not the holder. The newer holders are almost alway's white noise to my eye's, I glaze over them almost with disinterest. I may be passing up a good coin in a newer holder, but it won't get my attention unless the coin is screaming PQ at me. With that said, I have never sent in a coin for a regrade and have just recently sent in a small group to CAC to get a second opinion compared to mine.

• Options
    BStrauss3BStrauss3 Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭✭✭

Frankly I like the rattlers, but I like old holders for the history. History has proven them to be among the most stable.

But-

Coins in them have definitely been cherrypicked unless it's totally fresh material that's been off the market for 30 years.

Grading at the time was stricter than today and fewer things were market acceptable. However, the detection of alterations was also less sophisticated. You see examples where (especially gold) 'clean' grading comes back with altered surfaces or putty has turned in the holder.

-----Burton
    ANA 50 year/Life Member (now "Emeritus")
  • Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,951 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think the old rattlers displayed the coins better than any other holder. The coin appeared to just float there. I can happily live without the edge view gaskets.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,552 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am not as down on green label holders as the originator of this string of posts. Some collectors have long noted that green label holder coins tend to be conservatively graded, and that perception carries with it some value. I noticed this before 2000 when I was a dealer.

That does not say that ALL GREEN LABEL holders are conservatively graded. You still have to know how to grade. SOME green label holder coins could end up in "details" holders today.

Recently I purchased this 1835 half eagle in a Heritage auction. I thought that the bids were strong. One poster commented that the bids were strong because many of the coins were in old holders and that the graded on the coins tended to be conservative. This piece is in a green label holder and the grade is AU-58.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,755 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like the older holders for aesthetic reasons and the stability of the coin. Unless there is a huge jump to the next grade, I'd rather have the old holder.

• Options
    bestdaybestday Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭✭

@Oney said:
    My experience so far with OGH.......Morgan Dollars. Past 12 months.

1900-O PCGS MS65 OGH -> PCGS MS66
    1899-O PCGS MS65 OGH (Doiley) - > PCGS MS66
    1891-CC PCGS MS63 OGH -> PCGS MS64

You just have to be very carefull in your selection. Also, I believe you have a better shot if you crack them out versus resubmit.

JMO!

Can't dismiss OGHS.. My friend bought 25 old commens with OGHs from someone who walked in his shop ,, he submitted coins..got 6 for a double grade up , 9 for a 1 grade up ... the 6 double upgrades were from breakouts

• Options
    DRUNNERDRUNNER Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice . . . . . . .

And sacrificing a Doily too. Interesting . . .

Drunner

• Options
    david3142david3142 Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭✭✭

Going from a 65 Doily to a 66 for a common date loses money, even ignoring any grading fees.

• Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,168 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 14, 2016 5:09PM

This one was in an OGH, PCGS MS62: https://coins.ha.com/itm/liberty-double-eagles/1890-s-20-ms63-ngc-ngc-census-75-8-pcgs-population-150-19-mintage-802-750-numismedia-wsl-price-for-problem-free/a/131137-27518.s?ic3=ViewItem-Auction-Archive-PreviousPricesHeritage-081514

I offered it at a little over what I paid in several venues, around $1700. It had Deller's darkener, or other surface issue, otherwise it looked OK. I dipped it in acetone, then hot water, sent it into NGC which said it still had stuff that needed to be taken off. Then it graded at the $5K plus level. Lots of people had a chance to buy it, Teletrade customers, show customers who didn't want to take the chance--Before I dipped it. As they say, no risk no gain.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file