Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Who is the most dominant athlete in the world right now?...

I would have said michael jordan up to a few years, but now I would have to say tiger woods. And with IMG backing him up, he is also a major marketing force as well.
abc

Comments

• Options
    Without a doubt, Charlie Batch! Looking for 2004 SP clipboard used material swatch card PSA 10.
  • Options
    xbaggypantsxbaggypants Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭
    Basball: Todd Van Poppel, Ben Mcdonald
    Football: Ryan Leaf
  • Options
    zef204zef204 Posts: 4,742 ✭✭

Lance Armstrong
    EAMUS CATULI!

My Auctions
  • Options
    Mac53Mac53 Posts: 805
    "Charlie, here comes the deuce. And when you speak of me, speak well."image
  • Options
    EagleEyeKidEagleEyeKid Posts: 4,496 ✭✭
    Mac who the **** is that? image
  • Options
    I don't know her personally, I just ran across her picture. Think she's used some "supplements?"
  • Options
    It's gotta be Lance Armstrong. A few years ago I'd have said Tiger Woods, but today's Tiger isn't as dominating as he used to be. His competitors today know they have a chance against him. The only chance Armstrong's competition has, is if lance retires.
    Football collector 1948-1995, Rams oddball cards & memorabilia, Diamond match.
    Cataloging all those pesky, unlisted 1963 Topps football color variations Updated 2/13/05
  • Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Annika Sorenstam. She's won like half her events the last two years.

Tabe
  • Options
    mudflap02mudflap02 Posts: 2,060 ✭✭
    Michael Schuhmacher or Steve Lombardozzi.
  • Options
    My vote goes to TONY PARKER....

any athlete that is dating EVA LONGORIA is a winner in my book!
  • Options
    me

and madden 2005 and mvp baseball 2005 are my sports image
  • Options
    Ronnie Coleman has won 7 Mr. Olympia's in a row and is the most dominant athlete right now.
  • Options
    MorrellManMorrellMan Posts: 3,238 ✭✭✭
    Mark (amerbbcards)

"All evil needs to triumph is for good men to do nothing."
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>image >>

Mike
  • Options
    Gary Coleman
  • Options
    AxtellAxtell Posts: 10,037 ✭✭
    Lance Armstrong without a doubt.

Winning 7 straight of the most intense endurance competitions known to man should leave no doubt.
  • Options
    bobbybakerivbobbybakeriv Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭✭
    This question just can't be answered fairly...apples to oranges. As far as Lance goes, he is awesome for his sport, but would he be as dominant without his team/sponsorship? I don't know the answer. I know that solo riders don't win the Tour. I disagree about Tiger; he is as dominant as he ever was in my opinion. First, Second, First... Annika is the most dominant woman golfer, but she wouldn't rank remotely close to the top 100 on the men's tour. Again, the question is just impossible to answer without conditions. In any case, a nice debate and these are just my thoughts.
  • Options
    pandrewspandrews Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭

fedor, liddell, wanderlei right now

most dominant of all-time=RICKSON (ripublicanmass will get the humor)
    ·p_A·
  • Options
    joestalinjoestalin Posts: 12,473 ✭✭
    Please note, the nation formally called France will now be called Lance.

Lance owns France

JS
  • Options
    kuhlmannkuhlmann Posts: 3,326 ✭✭
    Ronnie Coleman has won 7 Mr. Olympia's in a row and is the most dominant athlete right now.

were talking roid free here i think?
  • Options
    pandrewspandrews Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭

ronnie coleman is a freak and would get his ass handed to him by ALOT of people..
    ·p_A·
  • Options
  • Options
  • Options
    kuhlmannkuhlmann Posts: 3,326 ✭✭
    argument is now over!

a strong 2nd place though!!

• Options
    oddballoddball Posts: 119
    Tour de Lance
  • Options
    ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭
    It is tough to argue against Lance Armstrong here.
  • Options
    NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭
    NANTERRE, France, July 20th 2005

Lance Armstrong may be stripped of his seventh Tour de France title.
    In a random check for banned substances, French authorities found three substances in Armstrong's hotel room that are banned by the French:

Toothpaste, deodorant and soap.

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.
  • Options
    yawie99yawie99 Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭
    Actually, it's very possible to argue against Armstrong, since he really only participates in the Tour. Granted it's cycling's marquee event and he does dominate it, but he doesn't reign throughout his sport's season the way Tiger or Schumacher do. Still, seven straight Tours is an incredible achievement.
    imageimageimageimageimageimage
  • Options
    Lance, Anniker, Tigah, in that order imo...
  • Options

<< <i>Lance, Anniker, Tigah, in that order imo... >>

• Options

<< <i>NANTERRE, France, July 20th 2005

Lance Armstrong may be stripped of his seventh Tour de France title.
    In a random check for banned substances, French authorities found three substances in Armstrong's hotel room that are banned by the French:

Toothpaste, deodorant and soap.

Nick >>

Mike
  • Options
    julen23julen23 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭
    Ric Flair... no doubt.

Don't make me take your wife to space mountain and make a woman out of her...

Woooooooooo!

Julen
    RIP GURU
  • Options
    rw2winrw2win Posts: 557
    LANCE
  • Options
    Athlete...I am sorry but walking 18 holes (not carrying your bag), swinging a golf club approx 45 times in a 4 1/2 hour span, the other 26 or so strokes is a putter..in no way makes you an endurance type athlete. It makes you good/great but not an endurance athlete.

now, try to peddle 2500 miles over a 3 week period, LA to NY..avg 35 miles an hour, including hills that go up very steep inclines in 90+ degree heat, and then try to control the bike at 60 plus miles an hour going down a steep hill, on 2 wheels with the width of 2 inches.

And then do it 7 times in a row beating the best in the world every time.

Can you imagine the burn you would feel in your legs peddling 90 miles in 90 plus degree heat and still have to climb a hill at a 60 degree incline, and 60 more miles to go, and you still have to average 30 miles an hour to win..that is endurance, I say:

Sir Lance: Bar None!!!
    The Link below will take you to the PSA Boards 1952 Set Build, I also have made 5 slideshows each slideshow is 100 cards long, card numbers 1-99,100-199,200-299,300-399, and 400-407
    Link To Scanned 1952 Topps Cards Set is now 90% Complete Plus Slideshows of the 52 Set
  • Options
  • Options
    Again, apples to oranges. Lance Armstrong may be a great cyclist, but he couldn't carry a single NBA player's jock on the hardcourt. He couldn't bat .100 in the majors nor could he make one NFL roster. This question is simply unanswerable. We must define "athlete" first. That being said, I would vote that Tiger Woods is a better overall athlete than Lance Armstrong if it came to that. I don't know who the best "athlete" is in the world but I would bet he would likely be wearing an NFL uniform when the dust settled.
  • Options
    and which football player would even finish the tour? Which baseball player would even finish the tour? I dont believe tiger Woods would finish the tour either, But I bet lance could break 100 on a golf course after a series of 6 lessons, in a two week period whereas, I doubt, after two weeks on a bike tiger would complete the tour.
    The Link below will take you to the PSA Boards 1952 Set Build, I also have made 5 slideshows each slideshow is 100 cards long, card numbers 1-99,100-199,200-299,300-399, and 400-407
    Link To Scanned 1952 Topps Cards Set is now 90% Complete Plus Slideshows of the 52 Set
  • Options
    Cycling is more about training and physical endurance than athleticism. I'm not taking anything away from Lance Armstrong's exploits in his arena. He is just not the best athlete. Not by a long shot. Of course, you are free to feel differently. Finally, there are plenty of NFLers, MLBers, NBAers, etc. that could finish the Tour with serious training. To suggest otherwise is silly IMO. (I am not saying they would win it). It may be that we define the term "athlete" differently too.
  • Options
    The guy in my signature takes bowling very seriously so he’s a candidate.

If you play for the St Louis Rams or Carolina Panthers, you’d consider Mike Vick the most dominant athlete image

Brian
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Ok ill chime in with my choice since the thread has gone off into what exactly makes an athlete an athlete

my pick? P Diddy. also know as Sean combs and Puff daddy

he ran and finished the nyc marathon last yr with only a few weeks /months of training!

Picture me with my arms crossed at the chest, my head tilted and a basball cap on sideways. yo holla back
    Good for you.
  • Options
    AxtellAxtell Posts: 10,037 ✭✭
    I am not sure how one cannot look at Lance, see him winning 7 tour de france, and not appreciate that he is hands down the best athlete.

I doubt there is a single NFL, MLB, NBA, or NHL player who could grind out a single stage of the tour, let alone the entire thing.

I think so many fail to give him credit because cycling isn't a major sport here. People attempt to discount it because the competition isn't there (as it's perceived in US sports), even though some of the most well-conditioned endurance athletes on the planet are there every year.

How does cycling NOT entrail athleticism? Does it not take incredible athletic ability to grind a bike up hills at 50, 60 percent grades for 200 miles in a day? Does it not take athleticism to grind out 2300 miles in 3 weeks, with only 2 days of rest in that span?

People try to discount what he's done because he's part of a 'team'. Last I checked, that team doesn't push his bike up those hills, or grind out those miles for him,

I'd like to see Tiger ride a bike for 100 miles on flat land, let alone 100 up the Pyranees Mountains. Then let him ride that bike for 20 out of 22 days. Then let him dominate that even for 7 years in a row.

And to say Tiger is a better athlete than Lance? Are you serious?
  • Options
    The most dominant athlete in my book is still Danny El Monte.........he really dominated the little league world series a few years back image
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Bike riders are not athletes! my son at 4 years old learned to ride! if he could do that, then Im sorry anyone that rides a bike can't possibly be considered the most dominant athlete. plus bike riding is not a sport.

Good for you.
  • Options
    Lance Armstrong
  • Options
    I'll tell ya what...have ya ever seen this guy eat?

Now, we're talking about athleticism - technique - endurance!

If eating were an olympic sport? I want in!

Mike
  • Options
    sixdartsixdart Posts: 821 ✭✭
    Phil "the power" Taylor!!!!!
  • Options
    BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭
    I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Roger Federer. Or, for that matter, Cat Osterman on the US Women's softball team.
  • Options
    Ronnie Coleman has won 7 straight Mr. Olympia titles. In October he will win eight in a row. I don't think their is another athlete in the world who has been the best in the world for eight years in a row. Ronnie also played college football at Grambling University. If Ronnie changed his training to compete in powerlifting he would no doubt break records in the Bench Press, Squat, and Deadlift. Ronnie does all his training in the Texas heat without air conditioning. Lance Armstrong has won 7 titles in his sport but is retiring whereas Ronnie is still going strong. Lance could never get through a Coleman workout.