Home Sports Talk
Options

Cards/Cubs series this weekend

CardsFanCardsFan Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭
In an effort to have a non Yankee thread let's talk about the NL Central. Cards coming off a series loss to the Brewers, so the Cubs need to show up big this weekend to get back in it. I think the Cards will just crush their dreams like they did the red-hot Astros last week. I'll be at tonight and tomorrow's game which I'm excited about except for the fact it's hot as hell here right now.

Comments

• Options
    I dont think the Cubs have too many dreams right now. They have been way too inconsistent and hurt by way too many injuries. I realize they are in the wild card hunt, but they just havent been consistent enough to get excited about. I always like watching the Cubs/Cardinals though. I grew up amongst Cardinal fans and love the rivalry. Its a great rivalry without all of the overboard stuff. Have fun at the games!
  • Options

<< <i>but they just havent been consistent enough to get excited about. >>

It was funny one of the radio shows I was listening to yesterday one guy said that the Cards need to worry about the Cubs if they get the pitching staff going, and the other guy just said we've been hearing that for years. It's true if they're all on the Cubs have arguably the best staff in baseball, but when is the last time they were all healthy? Maybe the beginning of last season for a short time.

Dusty had a track record of getting things done in the second half, which why last year surprised me the way they collapsed, we'll have to see what happens this year but I think it will be the Astros as the Wildcard especially if they can pick up a bat.
  • Options
    AxtellAxtell Posts: 10,037 ✭✭
    I think Dusty's biggest problem is running his pitching staff into the ground.

He did it in San Fran, and it seems to be catching up with him in Chicago. Leaving pitchers out too long, bringing them back from injury too soon, etc. etc.

As was stated elsewhere, the Cubs will sell out whether they are winning or losing. It's unfortunate, but management knows this and doesn't have to spend a ton of money on talent to win.

For any announcer to say the Cubs will threaten the Cards this year for the division title is (I'm sorry Cubs fans) lunacy. The Cards are top to bottom the most complete team in the NL.
  • Options

<< <i>The Cards are top to bottom the most complete team in the NL. >>

The offense is a little worrisome especially with all the injuries. This team is built completely different then last year when it was all about the lineup this year it's all about the pitching. As long as we have a healthy Carpenter and Morris this year in the playoffs I like our chances alot better.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>The Cards are top to bottom the most complete team in the NL. >>

The offense is a little worrisome especially with all the injuries. This team is built completely different then last year when it was all about the lineup this year it's all about the pitching. As long as we have a healthy Carpenter and Morris this year in the playoffs I like our chances alot better. >>

I don't know about that. Rolen was out for a while and it doesn't look like the offense missed a beat.

Here are the rankings for the Cardinals' offense and pitching

OFFENSE

BA. - 4/16
    Runs - 1/16
    RBIs - 6/16
    SLG - 4/16
    OPS - 3/16

PITCHING

Wins - 1/16
    ERA - 1/16
    WHIP - 1/16
    BAA- 5/16

The Cardinals are just great this year and as soon as I give up on the Cubs season (maybe soon), I have no problem rooting for them.

Remember these Chuck Norris Facts

1. When Chuck Norris does a pushup, he isn't lifting himself up, he's pushing the Earth down
    2. According to Einstein's theory of relativity, Chuck Norris can actually roundhouse kick you yesterday
    3. There are no such things as lesbians, just women who have not yet met Chuck Norris
  • Options

<< <i>In an effort to have a non Yankee thread let's talk about the NL Central. Cards coming off a series loss to the Brewers, so the Cubs need to show up big this weekend to get back in it. I think the Cards will just crush their dreams like they did the red-hot Astros last week. I'll be at tonight and tomorrow's game which I'm excited about except for the fact it's hot as hell here right now. >>

Cardsfan,

No offense, but at this point, the Cubs have no dreams, just fantasies about the wild card, and that keeps slipping along with their bullpen.

1. When Chuck Norris does a pushup, he isn't lifting himself up, he's pushing the Earth down
    2. According to Einstein's theory of relativity, Chuck Norris can actually roundhouse kick you yesterday
    3. There are no such things as lesbians, just women who have not yet met Chuck Norris
  • Options
    zef204zef204 Posts: 4,742 ✭✭

<< <i> think Dusty's biggest problem is running his pitching staff into the ground. >>

I completely disagree.

Some guys are just injury prone wherever they are. Look at guys like like Nolan, Don Sutton, Neikro, Blyleven and MANY more...

They pitched above 250 innings several years in a row. They just did not get injured. I think that some of these guys will get hurt if they pitch every 10th day for 90 pitches.

Kerry Wood will never have the durability as many other pitchers. In the 80's noone obsessed with pitch counts. I think the whle thing is rediculous.

Consider this, some guys need 10 pitches to warm up and some need 50. Those don't go toward their pitch count.

I think its easy to blame the manager but its a cop out. Should Ken Griffey Jr's mgr be blamed that he got hurt so often?

I am a Cub fan and I hate when people blame Dusty. Wood just does not have the physical make up to be a pitcher. Its a shame but its true.

Did Dave Dravecky's manager get blamed when he threw his arm almost literally off? Maybe if he pitched less innings that wouldn't have happend.

Sorry Ax, I just don't buy it. And in Chicago that is what they talk about evertime on the radio when one of these guys merely touch their elbow during a start.
    EAMUS CATULI!

My Auctions
  • Options

<< <i>I don't know about that. Rolen was out for a while and it doesn't look like the offense missed a beat. >>

Yah, but Rolen, Sanders, Edmonds and Walker are beat up. As long Pujols is healthy it will be a good lineup it's just not as top to bottom scary as it was last year.
  • Options
    With regard to Wood, Steve Stone has said for years that Wood will continue to have shoulder problems unless he adjusts his pitching motion. He never has and that is why he is hurt about every three pitching events. He has been a very overrated pitcher for a while now.

And Jim Hendry has been criticized since spring training for not improving the bull pen. And they lost another game yesterday. But I havent heard much about his lack of signing Matt Clement. Im thinking the Cubs could have used an All-Star pitcher this year.

• Options
    zef204zef204 Posts: 4,742 ✭✭

Yeah I was pissed that they let Clament go. I like Jerome Williams(not the JYD). He is young and has some experience which is tough to find. Any pitcher that the Tiger's don't want I don't think we should either. I have not liked Novoa since they called him up.
    EAMUS CATULI!

My Auctions
  • Options
    Cards Fan - Is the new stadium on schedule?
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,810 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is probably the most underrated rivalry in Baseball

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    Mac53Mac53 Posts: 805
    So far (6th), great game. I'll decide later on just how great it is.image
    "Charlie, here comes the deuce. And when you speak of me, speak well."image
  • Options
    AxtellAxtell Posts: 10,037 ✭✭
    Wow, what a way to end the game...can tell the pitcher was completely shocked....

• Options
    The Cubs frequently lose to the Cards in that fashion. Except for 2003, they always seem to get outplayed. Great game by Zambrano wasted.
  • Options
    kuhlmannkuhlmann Posts: 3,326 ✭✭
    what is the fox game tomorow? i think cubs cards. anychance is mets dodgers? bc its not on my tv package so the first time this year i cant see pedro pitch unless its on fox?
  • Options
    frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,046 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can't believe it!!!! Someone is talking about the Cardinals! I listen to ESPN radio everyday and they barely even mentioned that they played (and that's in their "update every 20 minutes.")

I get so so sick and tired of hearing about the Boston Red Sox (I was sick of it way before the beat the Cardinals too!)

Cardsfan, you are right. The offense is not what it was last year, but the pitching is much better (and the pitching was good last year). Pujols has carried them offensively. In another thread, I predicted that Derrick Lee would slip a little, and that Pujols would be hot, and that Pujols will win the MVP.

I haven't heard this discussed before, but who do y'all think will win the Gold Glove at first. I get to watch the Cardinals nearly every game, and Pujols has been pretty impressive with the glove. I wonder what his chances of winning the Gold Glove this year.

Shane

• Options
    I just got back and got to see two great games Friday night's definitely being the better for me. Suppan vs Prior tonight, it sounds like a mismatch but hopefully not.

<< <i> Cards Fan - Is the new stadium on schedule? >>

They've started to put seats in and everything looks to be on time.

• Options

<< <i>I predicted that Derrick Lee would slip a little, and that Pujols would be hot, and that Pujols will win the MVP. >>

Lee doesn't show any signs of slowing down. It will be interesting if the Cubs don't make the playoffs though will his numbers be that much better to overcome not being on a playoff team? It could be another year of Pujols having the second best year in the NL, I thought with Bonds out this would be his year. Don't count out Cabrera yet either he's on fire, and if the Marlins should make another great run like two years ago he'll have to recieve consideration.
  • Options
    it should be a good one tonight - slight edge given to the cubs by the oddsmakers

brian
  • Options
    Does anyone else think that Joe Morgan's skull is full of sawdust?
  • Options

<< <i>Does anyone else think that Joe Morgan's skull is full of sawdust? >>

Biased sawdust? Then the answer is yes.

• Options
    Sawdust is sawdust.image
  • Options
    UGH! What a series, just too bad we came out on the short end.
  • Options
    I'd feel differently if the Cubs lost the series, I suppose, but there was not a moment to relax the whole weekend until the grand slam tonight. Two extra inning games, two one run games--wow! It's what makes sports so much fun!
  • Options

<< <i>UGH! What a series, just too bad we came out on the short end. >>

Yeah, on the short end of a 12 game lead in the Central image

• Options

<< <i>Yeah, on the short end of a 12 game lead in the Central >>

True, but it's all about bragging rights for that weekend. Losing close games always hurts even if you do have a big lead.
  • Options
    frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,046 ✭✭✭✭✭
    See, that's what I like about Cardinals and Cubs fans and the rivalry. You don't have to slit each other's throats in order to be a rivalry.

Shane