Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Which is worse? Ripping sellers or ripping buyers?

2»

Comments

• Options
    rte592rte592 Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 27, 2024 9:10AM

This is like a family friend that used to go to yard sales and buy $1000 half karat diamond rings regularly along with a couple pieces of costume jewelry for $5.
    He would slip it on his finger. Pick up a couple more interesting jewelry items...hold his hand out and ask how much.
    I once saw him pay as much as $10 because the one piece of costume jewelry belonged to the girls mother.

• Options
    rte592rte592 Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 27, 2024 9:29AM

@PerryHall said:
    If a coin dealer has a coin in his display case that's an extremely rare variety that's worth multiples of what he has it priced at and you point it out to him, what are the chances that he'll share his windfall profit with the person he bought this coin from assuming he remembers who he bought it from?

ZERO
    that's why...
    When a diamond shines upon you from a goats @$$ you're in a position to make your own decision.
    I don't remember who said that quote.

• Options
    oldabeintxoldabeintx Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭✭✭

Most of my experience is as a buyer. As a kid I bought whizzed and polished coins from local dealers. As an adult I graduated to buying coins that were doctored in more sophisticated ways. This was pre-slab. Now, I'm wary of every coin I buy. I think that all areas of collectibles require a healthy does of cynicism. Back on topic, the number of buyers that are ripped and the sum of their losses (include TV hucksters) probably exceeds the losses of sellers, and sellers may never know they were ripped, not so much with buyers.

• Options
    KSorboKSorbo Posts: 104 ✭✭✭

I dislike the term “lowball” as it relates to buyers’ offers to sellers on EBay and other online venues. Why doesn’t anyone use the term “highball” when describing sellers’ listings?

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,196 ✭✭✭✭✭

@KSorbo said:
    I dislike the term “lowball” as it relates to buyers’ offers to sellers on EBay and other online venues. Why doesn’t anyone use the term “highball” when describing sellers’ listings?

“Lowball” isn’t restricted just to on-line venues. And I’m thinking the term “highball” isn’t used because it doesn’t begin to accurately reflect the extent of how high many of the ask prices are. Instead, I suggest “stratosphericball”.😉

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,179 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MFeld said:

@jdimmick said:
    Here is my opinion on this matter: If somebody comes into my establishment and seeks value for their coins, IMO, its only ethical to shoot them straight, and provide them proper value. However, if i am at a show and looking around and see something that i think is way underpriced and they are a seller, I just buy it and move on. If its somebody I know well, sometimes I have casually mentioned it to them.

What if the way-underpriced coin in the dealer’s case is common as a P-mint issue, far more valuable with a mintmark, the coin bears a mintmark but is incorrectly marked as a P-mint? Or, as another example, the date is listed incorrectly on the flip and the actual date of the coin is a much more valuable one? What do you do under those circumstances?

Kind of like being a proof reader for dealer miscues.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    DisneyFanDisneyFan Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PerryHall said:
    If a coin dealer has a coin in his display case that's an extremely rare variety that's worth multiples of what he has it priced at and you point it out to him, what are the chances that he'll share his windfall profit with the person he bought this coin from assuming he remembers who he bought it from?

Or with you?

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,338 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MFeld said:

@KSorbo said:

“Lowball” isn’t restricted just to on-line venues. And I’m thinking the term “highball” isn’t used because it doesn’t begin to accurately reflect the extent of how high many of the ask prices are. Instead, I suggest “stratosphericball”.😉

I'm going to have a highball and think about this.

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,338 ✭✭✭✭✭

@KSorbo said:

What would you prefer we call an offer of 30% before melt? I could live with "attempted theft" but in not sure your going to like that better than "lowball".

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file