Home U.S. Coin Forum

Educational pattern post #2: The 1856 Flying Eagle small cent

Dennis88Dennis88 Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭
This educational pattern post #2 is about the 1856 Flying Eagle cent. Now I hear some of you saying “is that a pattern?”. Well it might be a shock for those people, but it definitely is a pattern. It’s included in both the Judd and Pollock books. The story is about collectors from the late 1850’s, tradition and popularity….

Pictures are from uspatterns.com, the information from that site, the red book, and both the Judd and Pollock books. I also used Walter Breen’s encyclopedia of United States half cents. As always, comments are welcome.

Dennis

PS you can find my educational pattern post #1 here.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The 1856 Flying Eagle small cent. Most consider it a regular issue, and thus is it included in the Red Book ever since. But is it really a regular issue? No is the answer you will hear from pattern experts, yes is the answer from “regular” collectors. It’s included in the Red Book, so it’s a regular issue. It has been a debate for a long time. Although they have a very high mintage for a pattern (between 1,500 and 2,000) it really is one…. as I will make clearer in this educational post.

Let’s start at the very beginning, the year 1849. The large copper cent had been in use since 1793. A newer, smaller cent would decrease the costs for the mint, and increase the profit for the United States mint. Also, the large cent was getting less popular every day. People found them to be too big, and inconvenient. According to Pollock, this idea was first opted by Congressman Sam F. Vinton, who sent a letter on January 9, 1849 to Mint Director Patterson to inform him that the Committee of Ways and Means had resolved to “take into consideration the propriety of reporting a bill for reducing the size of the one-cent piece”. The first patterns of a smaller cent were struck in 1850 (J-119/P-134 and further) and were struck in a billion composition of 90% copper and 10% silver. One of the first idea’s, was to perforate the coins, so the cent could be somewhat bigger, and it would not be confused with an half dime. Also it could be easier for people to store the coins more easily. The one tenth part of silver was also used to make the color of the coin lighter. If the coin would be accepted, according to the May 14, 1850 issue of the Philadelphia North American and United States Gazette, and quoted by Don Taxay in his U.S. Mint and Coinage “… Should the bill pass, dies for this piece will, we learn, be got up with more care, (Many, if not all show die cracks) and show more of art than in this specimen, which is only a temporary illustration for the use of Congress.”

J-119/P134

(These patterns also exist without the central perforation, but were not intended for use, and are probably just unfinished examples)

In 1851, the mint continued with experiments with bullion cents by striking a bullion cent with a different design. These are J-127 to J-131c/P-149 to P-156. The mint objected strongly to the billion in coinage, and congress abandoned the idea. The mint’s arguments were that the billion coins were easy to counterfeit, because the weight was similar to copper coins in the same volume. Second, the amount of silver in the coins was too small to become profitable for the mint to extract when the pieces were withdrawn from circulation.. It was also difficult to strike the pieces on a higher (and faster) scale, and subsequently ejecting them from the coinage dies.

J-127/P-149

In 1852, no pattern small cents were produced. One year later, only one pattern small cent was produced, struck in several German Silver compositions, these are J-149 to J-151/P-178 (Pollock put all the metals used, due to their small differences, under one number).

J-149/P-178

As an obverse die, a regular quarter eagle die dated 1853 was used. The reverse show’s a laurel wreath, open at the top with the denomination “one cent”. The diameter closer resembles the definitive small cents with the same diameter still used, but is smaller (the size of the quarter eagle then in use.

The mint and congress still wanted to get a smaller cent, probably of another metal to replace the expensive large cent. The idea of the small cent in billion was abandoned after 1851, and the concept of producing coins in the annular format was shelved until the 1880’s, when other (again unsuccessfully) patterns were made again. After that, the idea was abandoned forever. The above pattern small cent was produced by the mint as a reaction to congress plans.

What wasn’t abandoned was the idea of changing the metal in the small cent. As said, J-149 to J-151/P-178 was struck in German Silver. German Silver was used with more patterns, especially in the 1870’s and 1880’s. It consists of nickel, copper and zinc. Due to the different compositions, the color varies. A 30% nickel, 60% copper and 10% zinc composition will give, according to Judd, the coins a bronze look. A composition with more nickel and less copper, like 40% nickel, 40% copper and 20% zinc will give the coins a more copper-nickel look, like used on the small cents with the flying eagle design, and the early Indian head design. There was also a copper-nickel alloy used, consisting of 60% copper and 40% nickel. This composition is said to have a white or grayish white color.

This pattern was only used to test the various metal compositions, and not for the actual design. That came the next year, in 1854.

Three different design varieties were used in 1854. J-156 to J-159/P-185 and P-186 weren’t produced to illustrate a proposed design, but to test the concept of diameter and thickness.

J-157/P-185

The obverse die was created by reducing design elements of a 1854 Silver Dollar. This was crudely done, and the cross bar of the “4” in the date isn’t evident, thus showing the date as 1851.

German Silver was again used in 3 different compositions, together with Copper-Nickel, a copper Electrotype and a metal composition with 78% Silver, 13.7% Copper, 5.6% Nickel and 2.7% zinc. These coins are quite scarce, if not rare (between High R6 and Unique) and a pattern collector must wait several years before a nice example comes up for auction or in a dealers inventory.

Then there is the 1854 Liberty Head cent (J-160 to J-162/P-187 and P-188). The design was not new in any way, as it’s very similar to then circulating and current large cent, except that the obverse doesn’t show any stars. The coin is struck in a smaller diameter than the current large cents, but somewhat bigger than the 1857 and later small cent (about the size of a modern quarter).

J-160/P-187

These patterns were struck in Copper J-160/P-187, Bronze J-160/P-187, due to the same reason as the above and below patterns and Oroide J-162/P-188. Both Copper and Bronze strikings are R4 and available, the Oroide examples are R8, and very rare.

1854 was also the first year that one of the designs, J-163 and J-164, both P-189 (again due to the small metal composition differences) shows a similarity with the flying eagle design chosen in 1856.

J-163/P-189

The obverse design was copied from the Gobrecht Dollars struck in the late 1830’s. It shows an eagle, flying left. A difference with the original design as used on the Gobrecht Dollar is that there are now 13 stars surrounding the eagle, representing the 13 original states. Those 13 stars are used on most 19th and 20th century coin designs, except the small cent. This was probably done because the coins are small, and it just doesn’t fit.

J-163 is the design struck in Copper, J-164 is Bronze. Again, Pollock doesn’t differentiate the different metals (although it’s most of the time clearly visible with the naked eye), and both are P-189.

The diameter of these patterns is smaller than the current circulating large cents, although the difference is not too big. Both Copper and Bronze examples are scarce but available, as J-163 is an high R6, and J-164 is a R5.

In 1855, the flying eagle design from the last year was again used. It similar to the 1854 pattern, so I’m not going to give it much attention. These are available, and there are some interesting reverse die varieties (most notable in the leaves under the E in STATES).

1856. A year not so special for non coin collectors. But when you are a coin collector, especially when you are collecting small cents, it sure is a special year for you. This year, an 1856 flying eagle cent was made as a pattern. Soon it was considered (incorrectly as you will find out) a regular issue, and collected as such. It marked the beginning of the small cent, and replaced the large cent….

Let’s do the technical facts first. J-180/P-212, P-215 and P-218 is the famous 1856 Flying Eagle cent struck in Copper Nickel (88% Copper and 12% Nickel). It shows a Flying Eagle on the obverse, as used on the Gobrecht Dollars and both 1854 and 1855 pattern cents as described above. The reverse shows a “Agricultural” wreath consisting of corn, wheat, cotton and tobacco leaves as used on the 1857 and 1858 flying eagle cents and the denomination “ONE CENT”. The Judd books suggests a R2 rating, but this is way too high. It’s a R1, and the most common of all U.S. patterns.

J-180/P-212, P-216 and P-218

Many different obverse and reverse die varieties exist, and those are accurately described in Rick Snow’s attribution guide.

Examples were also struck in Copper, Bronze and Nickel, but those are not widely known nor collected except dedicated pattern collectors. They exist in Both circulation and proof format, the most of the latter being restrikes made for collectors in the late 1850’s.

In 1857, word was out that the Copper large cent, in use since 1793, would be replaced with a smaller Copper-Nickel cent. Soon, everyone in America searched everywhere to find the old large cents, and as many dates as possible. Coin collecting was now really “born” in the US, as before 1857 there were only a few real collectors.

The 1856 small cent was made to show to the congress, but when the collectors found out that the small cent introduced in 1857 was also made in 1856, they wanted one. Because they were rare at the time, additional pieces were made, mostly proofs. These are less rare than the circulation issues (which are of the Snow-3 variety).

Because collectors also wanted the 1856 pattern issue, it became more popular. Soon, as people realized which coins had been made, there became auction houses who specialized in early U.S. coins. The earliest price list was made in 1860, and coin collecting now was and is one of the most popular hobby’s. Even in that price list, it was listed as a regular issue, and it would be ever since (definitely one of the best numismatic traditions).

Non-pattern collectors don’t realize that the much loved and expensive 1856 small cent is actually a pattern, although the most common one (thanks to the restrikes for collectors). When they find out the real story, they find it hard to believe. The red book states that it is a pattern, but when you show a complete flying eagle cent set without the 1856, people won’t find it complete. The PCGS and NGC registries both include them, and this has driven up the price and popularity even more.

The flying eagle was already abandoned in 1859, due to striking problems (it was very hard for the mint to bring up the eagle properly on the coins, and many were weakly struck). In 1858 many pattern cents were produced. There were also patterns created with a smaller flying eagle on it, but eventually the Indian cent design was chosen. The reverse changed in 1860, Copper-Nickel became Bronze in 1864, and in 1909 the Wheat Lincoln Cent was introduced, followed by the now still in use memorial cent. Cent collecting became more popular and popular, and small cents are now the most collected coin denomination in the United States.

What would have happened when the 1856 Flying Eagle cent was not accepted by the Congress? We will never know, except one thing. The price and popularity would have been much smaller, and coin collecting would probably never been this popular when the large cent was kept in use.

There are also pattern collectors who consider the later struck coins a regular issue (the restrikes), but these would fall in the same category as the patterns that were restruck in the 1860’s to 1870’s, and still be listed in the pattern category (and bringing the same price as originals).

But there is one 1856 pattern that is not widely known, but sure is important for the early small cents. J-177/P-205 is one of only 2 known pattern half cents. It uses the original half cent dies with the 1856 date , but is struck in Copper-Nickel (either 90% Copper and 10% Nickel, Breen 2-b or 90% Copper and 10% Nickel, Breen 2-c) The last metal composition was used. These have a R5 rating, and are available. Unfortanly, as with more of these coins, many have been cleaned. These also exist used, probably use as a pocket piece.

J-177/P-205

The 1856 Flying Eagle cent will always stay popular and expensive. If you are collecting small cents, you can leave out the 1856 date, because it is a pattern. When people ask, just refer them to this post and the Judd/Pollock books. If it wasn’t a pattern, it wouldn’t have been the subject in this educational post, and it wouldn’t be given Judd and Pollock numbers.

Comments

• pharmerpharmer Posts: 8,355
    Very well done, Dennis. I learned a lot, and think I have a new favorite centimage
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Apropos of the coin posse/aka caca: "The longer he spoke of his honor, the tighter I held to my purse."

• Ed62Ed62 Posts: 857 ✭✭
    Great post Dennis.

Perhaps the most informative and interesting yet seen on this board.
    Ed
  • mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the info.
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dennis thanks! Save itimage.
    Al
  • ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭
    I love the holed cents.
    Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,358 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for sharing your thoughts on the subject - love those small cent patterns!
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Dennis88Dennis88 Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭
    Changed a few things. Thanks Lakes for the heads upimage

Dennis
  • flaminioflaminio Posts: 5,664 ✭✭✭
    Excellent post, learned a lot.

You might want to add a bit about Feuchtwanger cents. While not a government issue, they are arguably the first "small" cents.
  • coinguy1coinguy1 Posts: 13,484 ✭✭✭
    Dennis, thanks for your efforts.

I wish we had more posts like this here, and that they, rather than the flame fests, were the ones receiving the majority of the attention.image
  • LongacreLongacre Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭
    Great post, thanks.

I agree with Mark that we should have more posts like this. I posted a quesiton about Ebay and I can't shake it from the first page. Everyone keeps reponding!
    Always took candy from strangers
    Didn't wanna get me no trade
    Never want to be like papa
    Working for the boss every night and day
    --"Happy", by the Rolling Stones (1972)
  • ttownttown Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    I wish they had an "US Coin Educational" forum where this stuff would be perserved. These great threads get buried in not time. I loved all the "Frankin" educational post too.

<< <i>You might want to add a bit about Feuchtwanger cents. While not a government issue, they are arguably the first "small" cents. >>

I've not included that one because this article is more about the history of the 1856 small cent, and patterns which were made before that (from 1850-1856). The Feuchtwanger cents don't fit in this catagory I think.

Dennis
  • tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,161 ✭✭✭✭✭

And ... just to ensure this stays near the top .... Mark Feld thinks 1856 cents are real coins. Neener neener neener! image
  • coinguy1coinguy1 Posts: 13,484 ✭✭✭

<< <i>And ... just to ensure this stays near the top .... Mark Feld thinks 1856 cents are real coins. Neener neener neener!image >>

Actually, I do think they are real (pattern) coins, except, of course, for the ones which are fakes..image
  • tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,161 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • EagleEyeEagleEye Posts: 7,677 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very good presentation! Outstanding content! make me want to go out and buy some! image
    Rick Snow, Eagle Eye Rare Coins, Inc.Check out my new web site:
    don't you mean sell one?

Dennis

• << <i>I wish they had an "US Coin Educational" forum where this stuff would be perserved. These great threads get buried in not time. I loved all the "Frankin" educational post too. >>

I agree completely--or perhaps a special search option with this forum--not sure how it would be done--but it would be great to be able to pull up a list of educational threads.
    Curmudgeon in waiting!

• Excellent thread! Hope other forum members realize that Dennis88 lives in The Netherlands and is a YN. Very impressive work.
    www.jaderarecoin.com - Updated 6/8/06. Many new coins added!

Our eBay auctions - TRUE auctions: start at $0.01, no reserve, 30 day unconditional return privilege & free shipping!
  • morgannut2morgannut2 Posts: 4,293
    Most interesting post. I never understood the proof vs. business strike differences and how business strikes could be patterns--Now I do!!! image
    morgannut2
  • Outstanding.
    I love the flying eagle artwork...really exceptional. Some of the older eagle designs look like some sort of turkey vulture with rigor mortis.
    ------
    "It is possible to keep a mind so open that it is perpetually empty."
    --Peter Huber, "Galileo's Revenge"

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file