Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

just got scammed for 5,000.00 what to do????

I just got scammed for 5k on a fake 52 topps mickey mantle. I really do not know what to do to go about getting my money back. I found out the person who scammed me his phone number is no longer in service and the address I sent the payment to is a postal annex. If anybody can tell me what or if there is anything I can do PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comments

• Options
    You're kidding right!?!?
  • Options
    no i am not kidding can anybody tell what I can do if anything at all!!!!!!!
  • Options
    lostdart58lostdart58 Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭
    If you are really not kidding....then we need more info......

Did you buy this item on EBAY? If so provide a link to the auction please.

How did you pay? personal check or money order?

You say you have an address for this BOZO, them contact the police in that town or city.
    Collector of:Baseball
    1955 Bowman Raw complete with 90% Ex-NR or better

Now seeking 1949 Eureka Sportstamps...NM condition
    Working on '78 Autographed set now 99.9% complete -
    Working on '89 Topps autoed set now complete

• Options
    Please post the auction and/or the scan of the card you copied before you sent your check.

If you have been cheated, there are a number of remedies.

Cher
  • Options
    bobsbbcardsbobsbbcards Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭
    Try this:

1) Build a time machine
    2) go back in time about 6 months
    3) start reading all of the posts on this forum about people getting ripped off buying cheap Mantle rookies on eBay
    4) convince yourself not to do that
    5) when the auction you bid on comes around, ignore it (or better yet, add a post to this forum so others will ignore it too)

As long as you spend less than $5,000 on your time machine, you'll come out ahead. Good luck!
  • Options
    carew4mecarew4me Posts: 3,464 ✭✭✭✭

Loves me some shiny!
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    phreakydancinphreakydancin Posts: 1,691 ✭✭
    Welcome newbie! Please identify yourself from the following list:

1) Troll from the Beckett boards
    2) Drunk regular posting under an alternate ID
    3) Total idiot

If #3, I suggest you find a buyer even dumber than yourself and flip the card for a profit.
  • Options
    jrdolanjrdolan Posts: 2,549 ✭✭
    Come on now, guys. He's either yanking our chain for yuks or has truly lost $5K on a Mantle scam. Until we get more evidence that the former is true, I for one am prepared to offer some sympathy to the latter.

boltman, are you saying you received it and it's obviously a modern counterfeit? Please link to the auction and show a scan of what you received.

And if you're some scammer-in-training looking to mine this forum for tips on how to sell fake Mantles and get away with it ... woe betide you, my friend. We is 2 smart 4 that.
  • Options
    julen23julen23 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭
    send 1bbnerd a private message.

you 2 can converge and meet in the middle.

Julen
    ______
    Collecting:
    1980 Topps: Over 4,000 cards from vending and wax boxes awaiting a giant bonfire
    1969 Topps: Master # 1 1
    1987 Kraft Dinners Home Plate Heroes
    RIP GURU
  • Options
    jrdolanjrdolan Posts: 2,549 ✭✭

<< <i>This one would have cost ya only 100.00 >>

I love the scammer's pre-emptive appeal -- "EBAY: Please do not cancel this auction. It in no way violates any rules. Thank you!!"

I have to say, that is one of the lowest-budget '52 Mantle scams I've seen, with a $100 BIN. image
  • Options
    MorrellManMorrellMan Posts: 3,238 ✭✭✭
    Not to be heartless, but boltman's post defies credibility:

"Monday July 11, 2005 1:11 AM (NEW!)
    I just got scammed for 5k on a fake 52 topps mickey mantle."

Who gets scammed for 5 grand at 1:00 in the morning in front of a computer?

I think boltman has probably bolted.
    Mark (amerbbcards)

"All evil needs to triumph is for good men to do nothing."
  • Options
    carew4mecarew4me Posts: 3,464 ✭✭✭✭
    I think the bolts may protrude from his temples

Loves me some shiny!
  • Options
    A761506A761506 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭
    eBay has not let a single 52 Mantle scam auction stay up for more than 24 hours since they finally started to crack down about 2 months ago. The only time lately that auctions have been successful is when the card is $100 or less, it's a 1 day auction, and the buyer uses Buy-It-Now.

I don't even bother offering my guide any longer, as it's no longer even a necessity on eBay.
  • Options
    ajwajw Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭

<< <i>eBay has not let a single 52 Mantle scam auction stay up for more than 24 hours since they finally started to crack down about 2 months ago. The only time lately that auctions have been successful is when the card is $100 or less, it's a 1 day auction, and the buyer uses Buy-It-Now.

I don't even bother offering my guide any longer, as it's no longer even a necessity on eBay. >>

Dude, you should be *very* proud of yourself. You've saved a lot of people a lot of money while making eBay a better place for everyone.

I'm going to have a chewy Spree and a gulp of Aquafina in your honor. (that's all I've got in front of me right now...)
  • Options
    mudflap02mudflap02 Posts: 2,060 ✭✭
    Your time machine may not work if the crystals aren't properly calibrated.
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,772 ✭✭✭✭✭
    <<< I just got scammed for 5k on a fake 52 topps mickey mantle. I really do not know what to do to go about getting my money back. I found out the person who scammed me his phone number is no longer in service and the address I sent the payment to is a postal annex. If anybody can tell me what or if there is anything I can do PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!! >>>

For more information contact Toniscards.
  • Options
    ajwajw Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Your time machine may not work if the crystals aren't properly calibrated. >>

I think that's ok as long as you get the speed up to 88 MPH.
  • Options
    No, no, no. AJW, you're assuming that the flux capacitor is fully operational. You're not listening to me. You don't know the history of time travel. I do. I;ve done the research. So stop being glib.
  • Options
    If you got scammed I hope you get your money back. But your VERY first post here is help ME? I dunno .............
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Now you've gone and done it!!!

This is actually Michael Boltman, the famous singer!

I think we just missed out on some comp ticks for his big concert with Barry Manilow!!!

Mike
  • Options
    rbeatonrbeaton Posts: 631

<< <i>No, no, no. AJW, you're assuming that the flux capacitor is fully operational. You're not listening to me. You don't know the history of time travel. I do. I;ve done the research. So stop being glib. >>

Speaking of time travel, see The Time Travel Fund.

Robert
    Looking for:
    Any high grade OPC Jim Palmer
    High grade Redskins (pre 1980)
  • Options
    bobsbbcardsbobsbbcards Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭
    If the guys running the Time Travel Fund were the ones who boosted his $5,000, then they've probably already calculated that in 400 years (at 5% interest compounded yearly), they'd have $1,495,166,756,244.22 (that's 1.5 trillion for the large-number challenged). They'd easily be able to buy any number of high-grade Mantle rookies for that amount of dough.

They're obviously the culprits.
  • Options
    RobBobGolfRobBobGolf Posts: 414 ✭✭✭
    Im donating 200 bucks to the fund so I can personally name 19 more of you and retrieve you for the grandest "Told You so" in Human History.image

RobBob
    Serving Ice-Custard-Happiness since 2006

• Options
    I was bidding on the sgc 10 52 mantle that was on ebay. I got an e-mail from sombody and he told that he had a nice psa 3. he sent me scans. the seral number checked out with psa everything looked good I talked with the guy on the phone for a while. when my package arives it is a ungraded fake in screw down holder. The persons name is Rick diesel and he is lives in ohio.
  • Options
    I've just gotta ask:

If you were bidding on an SGC "10" 1952 Mantle on ebay(where you might have some recourse), why would you then settle for a PSA 3..........off ebay (good luck trying to get your money back).
    Football collector 1948-1995, Rams oddball cards & memorabilia, Diamond match.
    Cataloging all those pesky, unlisted 1963 Topps football color variations Updated 2/13/05
  • Options
    SGC 10 ~ PSA 1

boltman - How did you pay for this - and what is your eBay id?

The SGC 10 Mantle auction is still running - the auction started on Friday July 8 - when did this other person contact you/when did you pay?

SGC 10 Mantle
    Collecting all things Pittsburgh.

Completed my Clemente Basic Registry (2007 - 2014)!

Positive transactions with oakesy25,jasoneggert,swartz1,MBMiller25,gregm13,kid4hof03,HoopGuru33,Reese3333,BPorter26,Davemri
  • Options
    bobbybakerivbobbybakeriv Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭✭
    No, no, no. AJW, you're assuming that the flux capacitor is fully operational. You're not listening to me. You don't know the history of time travel. I do. I;ve done the research. So stop being glib.

This is the funniest response I have read in a while. image I am sure Matt Laurer would agree.
  • Options
    Carew29Carew29 Posts: 4,026 ✭✭

Wow, out of all the names that there are, i took a look through my skip tracing sites and there is no Rick OR Richard Diesel reporting in the State Of Ohio. Hmmmmmmmmmm
  • Options
    262Runner262Runner Posts: 606 ✭✭✭
    Let me get this straight... within 3 days, Friday - Saturday - Sunday, you bid on a Mantle, received an email from somebody named Rick, viewed scans, checked PSA to make sure the cert number checked out, sent payment, received card and determined it was fake?

The auction you bid on is a 5 day auction, still running... Unless this guy is your nextdoor nieghboor, I am wondering how you complteted this transaction so quickly.

Collecting all cards - Gus Zernial
    Post Cereal both raw and PSA Graded (1961-1963)

• Options
    Mac53Mac53 Posts: 805
    Maybe he used a time machine to speed up the transaction.
    "Charlie, here comes the deuce. And when you speak of me, speak well."image
  • Options

<< <i>SGC 10 ~ PSA 1 >>

Shows you what I know.
    Football collector 1948-1995, Rams oddball cards & memorabilia, Diamond match.
    Cataloging all those pesky, unlisted 1963 Topps football color variations Updated 2/13/05
  • Options

<< <i> ungraded fake in screw down holder >>

How do you know it's a fake?

I never understood the concept of screwdowns, either. The magnet cases are pretty slick though.
  • Options

Just keep pickin' on me! See if I give any of you free auto pics!

Mike
  • Options
    MorrellManMorrellMan Posts: 3,238 ✭✭✭
    oops....nevermind
    Mark (amerbbcards)

"All evil needs to triumph is for good men to do nothing."
  • Options
    SoFLPhillyFanSoFLPhillyFan Posts: 3,931 ✭✭

Bet this is his Ebay ID.

nursewithwound opening $5 bid on Mantle

• Options
    nah Mark that is over there...........................>
    Good for you.
  • Options
    OnlypsahockeyOnlypsahockey Posts: 1,479 ✭✭
    bolt- you either got scammed or you're having a good laugh here.

If you were scammed I believe your best course of action would be through the post office as this clearly is a case of fraud. The USPS is probably the only one who knows his true identity as I'm sure you must show ID for a PO box.

If you're just having a good laugh.....hahaha
    57 Topps (83%) 7.61
    61 Topps (100%) 7.96
    62 Parkhurst (100%) 8.70
    63 Topps (100%) 7.96
    63 York WB's (50%) 8.52
    68 Topps (39%) 8.54
    69 Topps (3%) 9.00
    69 OPC (83%) 8.21
    71 Topps (100%) 9.21 #1 A.T.F.
    72 Topps (100%) 9.39
    73 Topps (13%) 9.35
    74 OPC WHA (95%) 8.57
    75 Topps (50%) 9.23
    77 OPC WHA (86%) 8.62 #1 A.T.F.
    88 Topps (5%) 10.00
  • Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Your time machine may not work if the crystals aren't properly calibrated. >>

I think that's ok as long as you get the speed up to 88 MPH. >>

Get with the program. Using DeLoreans for time travel is soooooo 1985. The modern method is seen here image

Tabe
  • Options
    this is no joke I am F**king pist off. I tried calling the his local police department and they told I can't file a report cause I am not an ohio resident. I think I am going to go camp out side his postal annex I will find this S.O.B MARK MY WORDS I WILL NOT LET THIS GO!!!!!!. RICK IF YOU ARE READING THIS YOU RIPPED OFF THE WRONG GUY I AM COMMING FOR YOU AND YOU WILL PAY ME MY MONEY BACK YOU ROTTON THEIF!!!!!!!
  • Options
    Making idle threats on a message board will not help you. Why not post all the information that you have about this Rick fellow to see if anyone recognizes his information.
  • Options
    gregm13gregm13 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭

<< <i>this is no joke I am F**king pist off. I tried calling the his local police department and they told I can't file a report cause I am not an ohio resident. I think I am going to go camp out side his postal annex I will find this S.O.B MARK MY WORDS I WILL NOT LET THIS GO!!!!!!. RICK IF YOU ARE READING THIS YOU RIPPED OFF THE WRONG GUY I AM COMMING FOR YOU AND YOU WILL PAY ME MY MONEY BACK YOU ROTTON THEIF!!!!!!! >>

Pist off? I can't seem to find the word "Pist" in the Oxford Dictionary.....

Greg M.
    Collecting vintage auto'd fb cards and Dan Marino cards!!

References:
    Onlychild, Ahmanfan, fabfrank, wufdude, jradke, Reese, Jasp, thenavarro
    E-Bay id: greg_n_meg
  • Options
    imageimage
    Scott

T206's are always being bought.

aloof1003@comcast.net
  • Options
    his local police department and they told I can't file a report cause I am not an ohio resident.

sorry to inform you buddy but you could live on the moon and the police would have to take your info, anyone from anywhere can file a police report.

sd
    Good for you.
  • Options
    Well I'm pist too! My wife ate the last freakin' Ho Ho!!

Mike
  • Options
    detroitfan2detroitfan2 Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭✭
    I want Yogi Berra not Mickey Mantle.
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,772 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I hear ya about getting scammed - I just paid $1,000,000 for a t206 Honus Wagner from an ebay seller who swore on the grave of his old pet cat that the card was real. I sent it to PSG to get it slabbed and they returned it as a counterfeit xerox copy. I was suspicious when after receiving it from the seller, I noticed it was a black & white card because I was fairly certain that a real t206 Wagner is a color card. I am also really pist off.
  • Options
    Serious and talented crime-fighters and scam-busters do not like to have their
    time wasted. Now I'm "pist."

Henceforth, I think "victims" should be assumed to be "not genuine," if they do
    not furnish full particulars with their first/second post.

Cher
  • Options
    You guys are brutal! image
  • Options
    Mac53Mac53 Posts: 805

<< <i>I AM COMMING FOR YOU AND YOU WILL PAY ME MY MONEY BACK YOU ROTTON THEIF!!!!!!! >>

Let me guess. Literature major at the University of Kentucky? English Professor at Ole Miss? Sorry. I'm gast. Too much Scotch tonight.
    "Charlie, here comes the deuce. And when you speak of me, speak well."image