Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

2005 Satin Finish Lincoln PCGS MS70? $2,685+ Will This Go In Registry Separately/Interchangeably w/R

Is this one for real? Will a lot more now be made? Is it for the circulated or proof registry?

Sold For $2,685.99

Comments

• Options
    sonofagunksonofagunk Posts: 1,349 ✭✭
    To give you more of an idea how rare these MS70SF coins are we have done some research and found these to be 16 times as hard as the proofs to get the 70 grade. A true modern rarity in my opinion!

Is this guy even a coin guy?
  • Options
    The seller who has feedback score above 1000 and even has a Ebay store.
    However, why doesn't he/she post a picture of the coin?
    Posting a picture's fee isn't high.
  • Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,688 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "Is this one for real? Will a lot more now be made? Is it for the circulated or proof registry?"

RB: I believe it is "for real". I should have results back from a large mint set submission later this week myself which may assist a bit in pondering the question of whether " a lot more" of these will be made this year. PCGS has not yet decided exactly all the places (i.e. Registry sets) these SF coins will go - DH is studying and analyzing all of the issues I believe.

Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    CoinFameCoinFame Posts: 647
    It is very important to know that you cannot calculate how many coins you have to go through/send in to receive MS70SF. It doesn't work that way with Satin Finish. If you want to guarantee that you'll find several coins in MS70SF, you'd better put 6 figures on the table and spend the time looking for them. My point is that 2005's in MS70SF have unquestionable rarity. The question is how much $,$$$?

Seth
  • Options
    ellewoodellewood Posts: 1,750
    This is the same seller (Brian Childs) that apparently cancelled some of his previous auctions for coins that he had not yet received from PCGS. I'm not sure what to think. If indeed this is the first MS70 Lincoln that has EVER been graded, then why hasn't PCGS announced it in a much larger fashion? I would think they would SINCE IT WOULD BE HUGE NEWS.

My post from last week about satin finish lincolns ended up talking about this same seller on eBay with a few people on the boards....

Link to earlier Lincoln thread
  • Options
    dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>This is the same seller (Brian Childs) that apparently cancelled some of his previous auctions for coins that he had not yet received from PCGS. I'm not sure what to think. If indeed this is the first MS70 Lincoln that has EVER been graded, then why hasn't PCGS announced it in a much larger fashion? I would think they would SINCE IT WOULD BE HUGE NEWS.

My post from last week about satin finish lincolns ended up talking about this same seller on eBay with a few people on the boards....

Link to earlier Lincoln thread >>

Did PCGS announce the other MS70's they graded from the new mint sets?
    Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
  • Options
    DatentypeDatentype Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭
    It figures PCGS would help him pay his grading fees too. The guy launches fake auctions in order to gather funds for his bulk grading fees and now PCGS has some cherry coins waiting for him.
  • Options
    SteveSteve Posts: 3,313 ✭✭✭
    Which coin is worth more? A 2005 PCGS MS70 SF Lincoln cent OR a 1974 ICG AU58 Aluminum Specimen Lincoln cent? Steveimage
  • Options
    TWQGTWQG Posts: 3,145 ✭✭

<< <i>My point is that 2005's in MS70SF have unquestionable rarity. >>

-One question I have is how you determine a coin's rarity while it is still being manufactured.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>My point is that 2005's in MS70SF have unquestionable rarity. >>

-One question I have is how you determine a coin's rarity while it is still being manufactured. >>

If you have looked at enough coins and have the experience to know.
    Seth
  • Options
    Dennis88Dennis88 Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Which coin is worth more? A 2005 PCGS MS70 SF Lincoln cent OR a 1974 ICG AU58 Aluminum Specimen Lincoln cent? Steveimage >>

I think that answer is quite simpleimage

Dennisimage
  • Options
    STEWARTBLAYNUMISSTEWARTBLAYNUMIS Posts: 2,697 ✭✭✭✭

After the 1963 Proof 70 D Cam debacle and $40,000 later .....

PCGS grades a 2005 mint state coin 70 ??????

I'll have whatever it is the graders are smoking

Stewart
  • Options
    mas3387mas3387 Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭
    Congratulations to the maker !!!!

imageimageimage
  • Options
    I agree Stewart, there is a risk PCGS is taking with this, but I believe it is inevitable. From your response on the other thread that you would "love" to get a Lincoln pattern, I guess you DO believe that the ICG 1974 coin is worth more than these new 2005 satins ANY DAY OF THE WEEK. Good luck in aquiring one. Steveimage
  • Options

<< <i>It figures PCGS would help him pay his grading fees too. The guy launches fake auctions in order to gather funds for his bulk grading fees and now PCGS has some cherry coins waiting for him. >>

LOL image
  • Options
    Bidding is up to $760.00 on the MS70...looks like a few board members are taking a stab at it!

• Options
    Have we decided if the coin exists or not? usually big stuff hits the pops right away.
  • Options
    DMWJRDMWJR Posts: 5,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    at least the owner won't have to worry about upgrading!
    Doug
  • Options

<< <i>at least the owner won't have to worry about upgrading! >>

imageimage

I say this coin shows up in the pop report on Monday. It exists. image
    Seth
  • Options
    Rocklin, which is a small town in the Sacramento area, is only a 45 minute drive from my house. Wonder if he would show the coin if I chose to knock on his door?
  • Options
    RegistryCoinRegistryCoin Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭✭
    I'd be a little more subtle. How about watching his house, waiting for him to leave, following him, waiting for him to use a public restroom, take a pee in the urinal next to him, and then turn to him and innocently ask to see his Perfect Satin Finish? image
  • Options
    RBinTexRBinTex Posts: 4,328
    Seller updated the listing to include the PCGS cert # - 73688384. Pulls up as "MS70SF"
  • Options
    Guess it is real then
  • Options

<< <i>I'd be a little more subtle. How about watching his house, waiting for him to leave, following him, waiting for him to use a public restroom, take a pee in the urinal next to him, and then turn to him and innocently ask to see his Perfect Satin Finish? image >>

Hey now, I don't do the urinal cross talk thing!!!! image who knows what kind of satin finish thingy you end up seeing. image

I have bought a coin from this guy in the past, no problem. He didn't follow up with feedback, which didn't bother me one way or another. With the pcgs # added to the listing it kind of makes it official.
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭

<< <i>With the pcgs # added to the listing it kind of makes it official. >>

Unlike the dozens of auctions he was running a couple weeks ago before he even had any grades.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    Scumbag has at least 2 of them if you punch in the cert # verification he put in the auction and back trace one. there may be others but it appears these will be comonplace.
  • Options
    Looks like he sent over 200 hundred from #7368174 up to #7368385. MANY MS69's & AT LEAST (as Mark has mentioned) 1 other MS70 (#73688383 & 73688384) image

Guess these'll be a dime a dozen in 69 - sorta like the PR69DCAM's image
  • Options

<< <i>Guess these'll be a dime a dozen in 69 - sorta like the PR69DCAM's image >>

I'll take 100. image

Edited: Heck, I'll take them all. image
    Seth
  • Options
    INXSINXS Posts: 1,202
    I think by the time this SF series plays out it will have caused alot of confusion and havoc with the registry. Whichever way PCGS decides to do it, it wont please everyone.
    "Well here's another nice mess you have gotten me into" Oliver Hardy 1930

BST successful dealings with:MsMorrisine, goldman86
  • Options
    So did anyone register one of these coins and find out that MS69SF is a pop 89 coin and MS70SF is a pop 2?
  • Options
    Current bid: US $2,575.00 (Reserve met)
  • Options
    "So did anyone register one of these coins and find out that MS69SF is a pop 89 coin and MS70SF is a pop 2?"

The pop report already shows -2-. More bulk lots to be graded this week I suspect. It appears to me that pop -2- relates primarily to that submittor's bulk lot that came back. It should be interesting to see what the other bulk lots bring.

Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    itsnotjustmeitsnotjustme Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭
    I am hoping for one or two myself. That means I will get 67 & 68!! I have two in that I can find absolutely nothing wrong with after extensive looking.
    Give Blood (Red Bags) & Platelets (Yellow Bags)!
  • Options

<< <i>I am hoping for one or two myself. That means I will get 67 & 68!! I have two in that I can find absolutely nothing wrong with after extensive looking. >>

Edited: You can find multiple problems with almost every one of them, so If you have super clean one's you're doing good!
    Seth
  • Options
    It completely BAFFLES me how all of these bidders are willing to pay $2500+ for a 2005 lincoln. image

I would be willing to bet that this same coin can be had next July.....for just 50% of the winning bidder's price. I think this one will go much higher...for the sole reason that it is the first one to ever be graded.

Any takers?

• Options
    Ellewood - My best research suggests there may be between 4-11 2005 PCGS-MS70SF Lincoln Cents in existence at this moment, which would then hit the pop reports over the next couple weeks. At this "stage of the game", the Lincoln Cent appears to be one of the easiest 2005 SF coins to obtain in perfect PCGS-MS70SF. But, you will also recall that I thought PCGS might grade a perfect 2003(p) Lincoln cent as they were incredibly produced coins even before "SF" was a working concept. Once I have 100% confirmation on the existence of some or all of these additional coins, I can follow up.

Wondercoin
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I would be willing to bet that this same coin can be had next July.....for just 50% of the winning bidder's price. >>

More like next month.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    I predict there will be 50 in 2 months and it's a$500 coin.
  • Options

<< <i>I predict there will be 50 in 2 months and it's a$500 coin. >>

Actually it would only be a $500 coin if people thought it would hang there. 50 in 2 months leads to anticipation that this coin/grade is going to break 100 realtively shortly, and will not pay over $300 for it. Check the going prices for regular 05 PR70DC cents.
    Doug
  • Options

<< <i>I predict there will be 50 in 2 months and it's a$500 coin. >>

datentype: Your point is well taken, but I haven't seen any MS70 Lincolns in my submissions. Do you have one for me???
    Seth
  • Options
    I believe that this coin and all 2005 MS70's will be rarer than most people think. I don't say that just because I am the seller of a good amount of these coins. From my experience I can tell you that it takes about 300 of these pre-graded coins to obtain one MS70. We may not have pre-graded these as well as most collectors, but that is still plenty of 8's and 9's. There is only so many people who want those 8's and 9's. The problem isn't going to be getting the MS70's. The problem lies with getting rid of the lower grade coins that come with them. If you cannot get rid of the lower grade coins you cannot have more coins graded. Thus I believe the MS70 supply is only as strong as the ability to sell the 8's and 9's which is going to run out very fast. Most of our bulk submissions are complete and we made a total of 10 MS70's. That is not very many considering the percentage of the market we were this year. The only way and I repeat ONLY WAY there is going to be any abundance of these is if PCGS lowers the bar on the MS70 grade for these coins. There are probably a good 20,000 MS70SF coins out there. The question is how many will make it into a PCGS holder? Not many in my opinion.
  • Options
    You talk as if one can't just submit one coin and get an ms70, like the ONLY way is in a bulk order. Maybe you're right. See how unfair pcgs is for the average collector who just wants to find and submit his own coins.

edited for spelling
  • Options
    LincolnsRule,

Not true. I've recently been schooled by collectors who sent in very small fractions of what I did. I don't even think PCGS graders know if they are grading a bulk order or not. The odds are better with numbers but the focus is there with smaller orders.
  • Options
    BRCCOINS -

Welcome to the boards. It's nice to know that yet another large lincoln "submitter" is part of these boards...the more the merrier for me. I am NOT a submitter....just a fairly new collector on the scene. You may recall that I emailed you thru eBay a couple weeks back to inquire about pricing for 2005-P and 2005-D Lincolns in 68RD...LONG BEFORE I knew about how many 69RD's were turned out and the 10 or so 70RD's...that have been made. Congrats on the 10 70's....that is pretty cool.

Mitch already took care of me on the 2005-D......so now I'm just trying to track down a 05-P. I would imagine the prices will decline for the 68's and 69's...especially since the 70's are now on the market? (I would have PM'd you this but it seems that your PM is turned off). Feel free to email me directly if that's easier at thetblcollection@yahoo.com.

Thx -

T
  • Options
    XXXXXX Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭
    Brian (BRC),

Welcome to the boards, I was wondering how long it would be before you participated. Nice to have you here. Congrats on your sucsess so far this year, You have done an outstanding job.

Hope to see you in other conversations and please send all of your MS70's to me......(just kidding), everyone know's I don't even like MS modern coins. Take care and I look forward to doing some business with you. Take care, Walt
  • Options
    mas3387mas3387 Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭
    Welcome aboard brccoins

looking foward to here of any other Monster coins you may make, feel free to PM to discuss
  • Options
    2nd one sold for $1,526 - about 40% less than the first imageLINK
  • Options
    STEWARTBLAYNUMISSTEWARTBLAYNUMIS Posts: 2,697 ✭✭✭✭

What a value!!!! $2,685 for a coin minted this year

Wait.....The year is not over........Do you think it will go up in value in 20 years ?

Maybe I should order 10,000 of these sets from the mint ?

Perhaps I could take all the ms 70's to the bank and get a loan to buy a house ?

The End
  • Options
    Stewart, if some of our Lincoln cent friends want to play with the 2005P and 2005D Lincoln cents in MS70 satin finish, don't be too harsh with them. Remember, you and I and a few others can play with our 1909VDB Matte proof Lincoln cents and see which will be more valuable in four years at the 2009 celebration. Steveimage
  • Options

This reminds me of story that Dave Bowers related in an article a few years back. It was about what an avid collector Captain Cook was. He collected everything! Once he went to an island where the natives tried convincing him to collect a "turd on a stick." Of course Bowers can tell it much more eloquently than I am doing.
    Doug