Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

The 2005 United States Mint American Legacy Collection

The 2005 United States Mint American Legacy Collection, reminiscent of the Prestige Proof set previously offered by the United States Mint, will contain the Proof 2005-P Marine Corps 230 th Anniversary silver dollar, the Proof 2005-P Chief Justice John Marshall silver dollar and Proof 2005-S versions of all 10 circulating coins. The regular Proof coins are the Lincoln cent; the Jefferson, American Bison and Ocean in View 5-cent coins; the Roosevelt dime; the five State quarter dollars, honoring California, Minnesota, Oregon, Kansas and West Virginia; the Kennedy half dollar; and the Sacagawea dollar.

The Legacy set, with a maximum release of up to 100,000 sets, is being offered at $135 each.

A limit of 10 Legacy sets per order and per household will be in effect from the July 20 launch date until Aug. 10, when the order restriction for the set as well as the remaining three ordering options will be lifted.

Is anyone going to be ordering this set and your thoughts on it?

Comments

• Options
    dthigpendthigpen Posts: 3,932 ✭✭
    I'll likely end up ordering one.
  • Options
    FatManFatMan Posts: 8,977
    Crap, I have all the prestige sets. I guess this means I have no option but to order one to keep the set up to date.image
  • Options
    That should flood the market
    Rob
  • Options
    CoinHuskerCoinHusker Posts: 5,030 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Crap, I have all the prestige sets. I guess this means I have no option but to order one to keep the set up to date.image >>

Don't ya hate it when that happens. image

Collecting coins, medals and currency featuring "The Sower"
  • Options
    richbeatrichbeat Posts: 2,288
    Are the quarters, dime and half dollar silver or clad? I assume clad.

Is there anything special about this set that would justify that price? If the Marine Corps dollar is preissued at $35 for the proof, you could buy these separately for $92.95, before S&H. image
  • Options
    how much are they going for on eBay?
    Varieties are the spice of a Type Set.

Need more $$$ for coins?
  • Options
    Can you provide a link to the page this this set is on? The Mint website does not list this item or I have not found it.
    thanks image
    DirtroadRider
  • Options
    This information was taken from an article in coinworld. They do not go on sale until july 20th at the us mint. There is no link available as of today to view the set. I was wondering what fellow hobbyists thought and if there is any value in purchasing this set since only 100,000 will be made.
  • Options
    I will purchase a couple sets. Being that only 100,000 will be minted these sets will be highly sought after.
    Earth is the insane asylum for the universe.
  • Options
    Worth a shot, I might buy 20.
    I heard they were making a French version of Medal of Honor. I wonder how many hotkeys it'll have for "surrender."
  • Options
    BubbleheadBubblehead Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭
    Yeah...I'll probably order 20 myself...image
  • Options
    Does anybody know how many of the Marine Corps Commem the Mint is able to strike? The mintage must be huge if there are up to 100,000 of these sets, then more available in single BU and Proof form. Can't find the mintage numbers.

Tom
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,789 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Does anybody know how many of the Marine Corps Commem the Mint is able to strike?

I read 600,000.
  • Options
    INXSINXS Posts: 1,202
    Does anyone know why 2005 was chosen as the year to bring out this "American Legacy Collection"? Just curious.
    "Well here's another nice mess you have gotten me into" Oliver Hardy 1930

BST successful dealings with:MsMorrisine, goldman86
  • Options
    Conder101Conder101 Posts: 10,536

<< <i>Does anyone know why 2005 was chosen as the year to bring out this "American Legacy Collection"? Just curious. >>

Because they sensed that even after all the product lines they offered in 2004, the collectors still hadn't sent them all of their money.
  • Options
    kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,568 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Does anyone know why 2005 was chosen as the year to bring out this "American Legacy Collection"? Just curious. >>

Because they sensed that even after all the product lines they offered in 2004, the collectors still hadn't sent them all of their money. >>

Bingo. image

Why not also release a "Shining Examples of Liberty" collection with one 1-oz Proof platinum, Gold and *special* W-mint mark silver eagles? Maybe they could finally move some platinum coins.
    "I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.
  • Options

Why ask 'why?' Why not ask 'why not?'

<< <i>Why not also release a "Shining Examples of Liberty" collection with one 1-oz Proof platinum, Gold and *special* W-mint mark silver eagles? Maybe they could finally move some platinum coins. >>

Proof silver eagles already have the W mintmark. Nothing special about that. BTW, I thought their new business strategy on selling platinum coins was to send $68,000 worth to people who only order one set!
    I heard they were making a French version of Medal of Honor. I wonder how many hotkeys it'll have for "surrender."
  • Options
    P.S. In 2006 there will once again be just one nickel, so doing it in 2005 allows the mint to take advantage of the larger-than-normal number of circulating coins. They may never make as many different circulating designs as they did this year.
  • Options
    The mintage of the marine commemorative was raised from 500,000 to 600,000 to produce 100,000 sets of the american legacy collection. At $135 is it worth the investment to collect? Since this is similar to the prestige sets which have not been produced since 1997 does anyone know what the average mintage of the prestige sets where from 1986 to 1997?
  • Options
    NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 10,989 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Prestige Proof Set Mintages 1983-1997
    1983-S 140,361
    1984-S 316,680
    1986-S 599,317
    1987-S 435,495
    1988-S 231,661
    1989-S 211,087
    1990-S 506,126
    1991-S 256,954
    1992-S 183,293
    1993-S 224,045
    1994-S 175,893
    1995-S 107,112
    1996-S 55,000
    1997-S ----------
  • Options
    One addtional thing to remember is that with the state quarters program, the number of "collectors" has increased dramatically.
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,304 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The mintage of the marine commemorative was raised from 500,000 to 600,000 to produce 100,000 sets of the american legacy collection. At $135 is it worth the investment to collect? Since this is similar to the prestige sets which have not been produced since 1997 does anyone know what the average mintage of the prestige sets where from 1986 to 1997? >>

Actually, I think it was the other way around...they were petitioned to raise the mintage for the Marine Commem. They likely got bombarded with upset letters.
    Then, they decided to create this new set. It also includes poor selling John Marshall coins.
    So, it is some brilliant marketing I think.

Sell more of the John Marshalls than would be sold otherwise (so, anyone who bought one doesn't have as low an issue as they would have without this new set), include the Marine Commem (so that the extra 100,000 units will be absorbed and try to deflect the blame), and sell more of the proof sets. All for only $135. OUCH!

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    Is this a potential quick sellout or a slow one?
  • Options
    ttownttown Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Is this a potential quick sellout or a slow one? >>

It should be a slow one or never but people are speculating right now and they'll probably go quick. Long term I don't think I see most of this stuff holding its value.

If I did get one or two or these I spin them off on Ebay. This wouldn't be a "had to have" item in my permanent collection.
  • Options

<< <i>Is this a potential quick sellout or a slow one? >>

Order on day two when the item is hopelessly backordered with a delivery date some time in 2006, then if it doesn't sell out in the next few weeks, cancel the order and pray that the mint doesn't ship it anyway.

EDIT: P.S., I'm not being smart aleck--that's what I plan to do...I think it'll sell out within a month (once limits are lifted) but if not, then I'll cancel the order.
  • Options
    American Legacy Collection.....hmmmm.....I smell something more than just this year's release. The name implies to me that there will be more of these in the coming years, just like the Presige Sets. This one has the Marines Commem and John Marshall but they'll have to do ones for the Army, Navy, Air Force, Coast Guard, National Guard, Boy Scouts, Girl Scouts, Cub Scouts, Brownies, McDonalds, Taco Bell, Payless Shoe Stores, etc., etc.
    -----------------------
    ---------------------
    -------------------

Finish like a professional!
  • Options
    Now wait a minute, the mint has had a helluva time providing 75,000 sets of the 05 westward journey coin and medal set. So you guys just might have to wait till Christmas to receive these. image I will have to put in an order for 20 and hope I get 5.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file