Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Question: How much above grey sheet should you expect to pay?

I was curious to find out how much above grey sheet you should be paying over the ask fprice for a given coin. Some charge grey sheet and others charge a lot more. I know that the looks change the price as well. But is the grey sheet for the worst looking coin at that price? Thanks for any advice for a beginner.

Bill

Comments

• Options
    dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It really depends on the coin. I received well over grey sheet for a coin I recently sold to a dealer. You can bet he made money on it, and thus an even higher amount over sheet.

Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
  • Options
    morgannut2morgannut2 Posts: 4,293
    Welcome and good question. As has been discussed before, the price for a common correctly dated example should be near "ask". The rarer the coin, the less sheet applies. For example Legend Coin is offering 2 times sheet currently for any correctly graded PCGS-65 Seated Liberty Dollar, and often pays (bids) 2 to 3 times sheet for rare date superior gem+ DMPL Morgans, I've seen. If you're after rare coins, ignor greysheet and watch the auction results-- if any. image
    morgannut2
  • Options
    Billy most retail customers do not buy at greysheet, greysheet is dealer to dealer sight unseen bids (or is that bluesheet)lol anyways as a dealer myself most of my clients are busy people Doctors, Lawyers etc etc etc and they just want to own coins without getting their head ripped off in commissions, and as a dealer i usually charge about 10% over greysheet, some companies (and i won't mention any names)lol charge 30-40% above, if you can find an honest dealer who will keep you within a 10% spread you are getting treated fairly, the companies who have a 25-35% markup aren't crooks if they tell you what your commissions are, and if your a retail client paying 30% in commissions imo your paying WAYYYYYYYYYYYY to much, but to buy at greysheet you really have to know what your doing and who your dealing with and making sure your not just buying someone elses junk. Goodluck theirs alot more but i don't wanna give away all my secretsimage
  • Options
    And whatever you do!!! DON'T BUY SWISS FRANCS FOR $125!!!! LOL!!!! we all know who does that huh??image
  • Options
    SteveSteve Posts: 3,313 ✭✭✭
    Use the Graysheet as a "guide" to prices. That is all it really is. YOU need to recognize all the other factors that go into the price you pay. Dealer or collector? rare, scarce or common coin? Can you negotiate? Only YOU and the person you are buying the coin from can determine what the price will be. No price list can do that. JMHO. Good luck. Steveimage
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,485 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It really depends upon the coin.

One thing that is pretty constant in the present market, if it is a properly graded early coin or key date coin, dealer to dealer sales are quite often above Gray Sheet "ask."

Easier to find stuff, like common date silver dollars will sell between dealers at prices that range from a little under "bid" to "ask."

About the only coins that consistently sell for less than "bid" are problem coins, low grade circulated coins and "optimistically graded" slabbed coins.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file