Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Libertas Americana @ 100K....wow!

LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,294 ✭✭✭✭✭
Nice looking medal. Even the copper one went strong at 10K. If you haven't seen it, visit the ANR site.

TDN - Did you buy it back?? image
"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.

Comments

• Options
    mdwoodsmdwoods Posts: 5,526 ✭✭✭
    I checked them out on the ANR site before the auction. The obverse has the coolest flowing hair design and you can sure see where the wreath cent design came from.
    National Register Of Big Trees

We'll use our hands and hearts and if we must we'll use our heads.
  • Options
    DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,963 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't own a single medal, but a Libertas is the one I'd love to own.
    When in doubt, don't.
  • Options
    CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The silver one was just awesome in person. I'm not surprised at the 100K price.
  • Options
    mdwoodsmdwoods Posts: 5,526 ✭✭✭
    I wonder if the silver version is the one Legend once had in inventory? I got to see that one. It had cool toning.
    National Register Of Big Trees

We'll use our hands and hearts and if we must we'll use our heads.
  • Options
    Possibly. I think TDN wrote elsewhere that he owned it at one time?
  • Options
    mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    Mmmm. I like that medal, and it's not even copper.
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,147 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I bought it out of Bass at around $18k and got talked out of it for a measly $2,000 profit. image

I thought I figured the coin 'strong' at $70,000 plus the juice, but obviously two bidders had other ideas.
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭
    $10,000 for a copper Libertas Americana medal?

That's NUTS!!!!image

I hope the piece at least had a lot of red on it because that's the only way a bid like that could make any sense at all.

Yes the Libertas is a historic medal, but more and more we are seeing people with more money than brains who are willing to bid whatever it takes to buy something. Next week I'll discuss I similar classic collectors' item that I just purchased in a mail bid auction.

Have prices for classic collectables gone up? Yes, but after a while the word ridiculous. Some of these fools are raising for fall, and I don't want to hear any carping from them about how the numismatic community is loaded with crooks.

YOU bid up these items to these ridiculous levels. YOU have NO ONE to blame but yourselves.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    Bill-

It SEEMS nuts to me too. But if you start at face value and go up to current values, there have been a LOT of nuts throughout history. Not all of them were wrong.
  • Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,147 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Demographics would indicate we are in the middle [not end] of a long bull market in coins. These buyers may yet end up being smart ones.

With that said, I've been underbidder an awful lot lately! image
  • Options
    When people are paying inflated prices like that, they are rising for a crash.

Medals are simply not that popular. If you think you are safe ground paying prices like that, go ahead. I think that it is a case of fool and their money becoming quickly parted from one another.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options

<< <i>With that said, I've been underbidder an awful lot lately! >>

Well at least that makes two of us. I've had a very nasty habit of coming in second on most of my recent bids for 19th century political medalets despite the fact that I made a few "gulp and write down" nutty bids.
  • Options
    Bill-

I haven't bought any medals yet, but I am doing a lot of reading. The more folks that come in to the hobby, the more broad support there is for non-mainstream areas. It's like Laura says all the time. Would you rather have 100K in ultra-modern top pops or in an incredibly historic piece like this?
  • Options
    orevilleoreville Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Only a week ago, the even more elusive Eliasberg "1792" Dickeson fantasy trial cent with the spectacular eagle was sold via ANR for 25% LESS than 9 years before at the Eliasberg sale.

Go figure!

It is becoming more clear that a very small and limited grouping of coins per auction will do spectacularly better than a huge and endless auction.

ANR may have rediscovered the way to maximize consignor values.
    A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • Options
    FletcherFletcher Posts: 3,294

<< <i>$10,000 for a copper Libertas Americana medal?

That's NUTS!!!!image

I hope the piece at least had a lot of red on it because that's the only way a bid like that could make any sense at all.

Yes the Libertas is a historic medal, but more and more we are seeing people with more money than brains who are willing to bid whatever it takes to buy something. Next week I'll discuss I similar classic collectors' item that I just purchased in a mail bid auction.

Have prices for classic collectables gone up? Yes, but after a while the word ridiculous. Some of these fools are raising for fall, and I don't want to hear any carping from them about how the numismatic community is loaded with crooks.

YOU bid up these items to these ridiculous levels. YOU have NO ONE to blame but yourselves. >>

Lol ... I can't find a nice one for double that right now image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file