Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Whats a 1857 Gold ICG Slabbed $1 Goin For?

Does anyone know what an 1857 Type 3 Gold ICG Slabbed $1 coin in AU53 (Under gradded in my opinion) is going for on the market?

Comments

• Options
    Just keeping this uptop.
  • Options
    Bump
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,789 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would not by one, but gun-to-my-head, I would pay about $150 +/- $20 if I had to buy it.
  • Options
    Why's that?
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,449 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The 1857 is a common date type III gold dollar. Check your favorite price guide to get an idea of what to pay. If its priced right and looks nice, I wouldn't hesitate to buy it. Pre civil war gold is neat and has a lot of history.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    Yeah thats true.
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,489 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ICG stuff can run all over the place. Sometimes the coins are fine, but more often they are overgraded.

There is a very thin margin between the AU and MS-60 prices for gold dollars. Here are the Gray Sheet bids:

AU-50 $170
    AU-58 $190
    MS-60 $210

For that reason, dealers often shy away from the AU coins unless thay can buy them cheap. Given this price structure, don't expect a dealer to pay you 100% of the an AU type III gold dollar "bid." He needs some margin, and the only way he can get that is to buy the coin for a little less than "bid" if it is properly graded. AND when he sells the mark-up will still be less than 10%, which many dealer just don't consider to be worthwhile.

AU common date gold dollars are nice collector coins, but don't expect to get rich on them, and don't pay big premiums for them. In a fair market the margins will be thin for everyone concerned, and the future for making a lot of money is not bright.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    michaelmichael Posts: 9,524 ✭✭
    a great collector coin and a neat coin with loads of history

if it is solud for the grade and decent eye appeal

around 175 maybe more if a great original greenish gold skin on the coin

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file