Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Compare and contrast the Wisconsin extra leaf quarter and the speared bison nickel "errors&quot

Comments

• Options
    itsnotjustmeitsnotjustme Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭
    One was intentional, but not authorized

The other was a mistake.
    Give Blood (Red Bags) & Platelets (Yellow Bags)!
  • Options
    Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭
    Wisconsin "extra leaf" quarter: appears to be added unauthorized design element.

"Speared" Bison Nickel: simple die crack.
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • Options
    ERER Posts: 7,345
    They're both blah.
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,788 ✭✭✭✭✭
    One was extensively promoted by professional dealers. The other was not.

One has received mention (and praise) in Bowers' CW column, the other has not.

Both are 2005 coins. Both have been found in rolls in very specific locations (so far) in the Southwest. Both are attributed by the grading services.
  • Options
    xbobxbob Posts: 1,979
    Both of these "named error" coins are certainly the kind of things that make this hobby fun and interesting regardless of what caused them to occur.

The hype vs. worth on both is strictly a matter of individual opinion. Some pay big bucks for them, others could care less. I don't feel like I can knock collectors too much for buying them if that's what they are into. After-all, I've actually paid for Chuck E Cheese tokens for my collection image.

I'm somewhat indifferent towards these coins personally. I find them interesting but I am not willing to pay a premium nor am I in any hurry to acquire either. Though If I found either, in circulation or for sale as a normal MS coin, I would be excited about it. I check every time I get a Wisconsin quarter. As for the new Bison nickels, I guess they are being hoarded, I have only seen one in circulation since their release.

In short, they are fun and good conversation. Not much more in my opinion.
    -Bob
    collections: Maryland related coins & exonumia, 7070 Type set, and Video Arcade Tokens.
    The Low Budget Y2K Registry Set
  • Options
    BarryBarry Posts: 10,100 ✭✭✭
    Both are modern crap.
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,293 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The WI extra leaves actually look like that.
    The other thing is a very noticeable die gouge.

I like the first, and have a couple, don't care about the 2nd, and if I found one, would just sell it as I don't believe it holds numismatic value. Just monetary value to suckers paying more than a few bucks each image

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @...so far L@@K...!!!
    Maybe I should call every newspaper and magazine in the United States ... imageimageimageimage
    Some coins are just plain "Interesting"
  • Options

@...so far L@@K...!!!
    image >>

Cool, you could call it the "missing doobage" Lincoln!
  • Options
    xbobxbob Posts: 1,979
    I like the "missing doobage" Lincoln. image

Here's my coin I call "Headwound Abe"

-Bob
    collections: Maryland related coins & exonumia, 7070 Type set, and Video Arcade Tokens.
    The Low Budget Y2K Registry Set
  • Options
    Yep, then, after he realized his doob way gone....he became ...****L@@K*** ....The Crying Lincoln..... Another One of its kind coin.........*L@@K*****
    Holy Canoli ....Someone get CNN on the line for me----I will only talk to Larry King .. FOX news----I want O'Reilly-NO Spin here.....
  • Options
    Come on now-----I need more bids on these 2 errors/varieties/oddities/million dollar finds..... L@@K for crying out loud...!!!image
  • Options
    MyqqyMyqqy Posts: 9,777
    I think I like the "missing doobage" lincoln a lot more than the wisconsin quarters or speared bison nickels........ image
    My style is impetuous, my defense is impregnable !
  • Options
    That's only cuz you got the munchies image

I like the WI extra leaves better than any of them except for the 55/55 and 72/72 lincolns image

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    since some folks seem to like digging things up . . .

One was extensively promoted by professional dealers. The other was not.

• Options
    LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,681 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This looks like either Pie-eyed Lincoln or Lincoln with a shiner.

<< <i>
    Holy Canoli ....Someone get CNN on the line for me----I will only talk to Larry King .. FOX news----I want O'Reilly-NO Spin here..... >>

• Options
    dpooledpoole Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think the Wisconsin exstra leaves are way cool. They fit into the theme of the coin, like the 3-legged Buff. And even more, there is the essential mystery, about who/what actually produced these things and why. Smoe of the most interesting coins in the hobby have unique and interesting histories of that sort.

Value smalue. They are fascinating, and make hunting through change fun again. It's a coin that my kids can look for and find, without any special knowledge of numismatics. They're interested.

Die cracks are a little less interesting because the cause is so generic, but still it's smoething that can be readily found at a glance.
  • Options
    To me, they're both junks.image
  • Options
    fivecentsfivecents Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭✭

@...so far L@@K...!!! >>

I call this one Lincoln in a barrel.
  • Options
    Holy crap, I didn't realize I already gave my opinion. Well, at least I'm consistent.image
  • Options
    I think they are both image
    What Mr. Spock would say about numismatics...
    image... "Fascinating, but not logical"

"Live long and prosper"

My "How I Started" columns
  • Options
    Holy crap, I didn't realize I already gave my opinion. Well, at least I'm consistent.

It's deja vu all over again.
  • Options
    michaelmichael Posts: 9,524 ✭✭
    both are extremely delicious sweet meat (no brainer to rise in huge demand and value) treats for the advanced seasoned collector/investor a sure thing

this is the only comparison i got

and better yet get it slabbed by a top tier slabbing service highest grade then you gots an easy multi thousand dollar coin add some superlatives to the holder like full wheat shafts or discovery coin or sexy mamma jamma and you got an even better unique one of a kind national treasure that belongs in the lourve in wee paree
  • Options
  • Options
  • Options
    goose3goose3 Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭
    Michael, you forgot the sarcastic emoticon.

One was extensively promoted by professional dealers. The other was extensively hyped by an individual.

Both are extremely overpriced due to the hyping and promoting and both are very Minor in comparison to real varieties/errors.

• Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I call this one Lincoln in a barrel. >>

Now THAT is a cool error!

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,333 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It is truly remarkable how some collectors around here can find
    nothing good about anything. The grading companies can't grade, the dealers are
    all crooks, and anyone who doesn't collect what they do is a fool.

Why does it have to spill over into modern threads too?

Why does michael drip originality (and everything else) until he ventures an opinion
    about ANY modern coin and then he has nothing but venom and bile?

Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    Wisconsin "Extra leaf" - no one really gets nasty nor gets into arguments on them. They look cool. They have the element of being/looking intentional.

Speared bison - The originator gets pretty nasty if you don't agree about them. They are akin to a scratch on the coin (sure, metal comes up not into the coin, but it is still a scratch). Not really that interesting.

• Options
    Example of false statements made by inappropriately and/or misinformed individuals:

The other was extensively hyped by an individual.

smoething that can be readily found at a glance

imageimage

• Options
    MyqqyMyqqy Posts: 9,777
    The venom is starting to rise in this thread! imageimage
    My style is impetuous, my defense is impregnable !
  • Options
    no venom on my part - just the facts. image
  • Options

<< <i>no venom on my part - just the facts. image >>

But your "facts" are missing the rest of the story.
    The professional who pumped the extra leaf quarters took criticism and questions quite fine. I don't remember any of the venom.
    The amateur who pumped the nickels verbally attacked anyone not seeing things the same way.

• Options
    goose3goose3 Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭
    cladking

I have no real beef with people that collect moderns. I must admit that I have quite a few such as...
    1972/72 1c
    1983/83 1c
    1984/84 1c
    1955/55 1c
    etc, etc,........for example

what I dislike is seeing anyone on here hyping top pops, plastic, and specific coins on the coin board and THEN profitingon that hype on the b/s/t. I've said it before, you take any PF or MS70 coin, crack it out, sell it raw whether here, at a show, ebay, etc.... and sell it as a PF/MS70 without any mention of it previously grading such and see what it fetches. The day that it sells for close to what it would slabbed as such, let me know. I'll readily admit that you could probably show me an MS67 or 68 and an MS70 and I don't think I could tell you the difference and would be surprised if many people here could.

whether or not neptune wants to face reality or not is pointless. She was on here blowing all sorts of steam about these nickels. I would think that maybe someone somewhere just might regret slabbing and naming something that is so common and minor. There are many other well-known truly rare errors/varieties, modern AND classic, that are FAR more deserving of nifty names and slabbing. Obviously she won't, she's made her killing on all of the hype and cashed in on it and must think that the market is about done or saturated with them or would not have been wanting to unload her remaining 50 or so examples.

• Options

<< <i>cladking

I have no real beef with people that collect moderns. I must admit that I have quite a few such as...
    1972/72 1c
    1983/83 1c
    1984/84 1c
    1955/55 1c

what I dislike is seeing anyone on here hyping top pops, plastic, and specific coins on the coin board and THEN profitingon that hype on the b/s/t. I've said it before, you take any PF or MS70 coin, crack it out, sell it raw whether here, at a show, ebay, etc.... and sell it as a PF/MS70 without any mention of it previously grading such and see what it fetches. The day that it sells for close to what it would slabbed as such, let me know. I'll readily admit that you could probably show me an MS67 or 68 and an MS70 and I don't think I could tell you the difference and would be surprised if many people here could.

whether or not neptune wants to face reality or not is pointless. She was on here blowing all sorts of steam about these nickels. I would think that maybe someone somewhere just might regret slabbing and naming something that is so common and minor. There are many other well-known truly rare errors/varieties, modern AND classic, that are FAR more deserving of nifty names and slabbing. Obviously she won't, she's made her killing on all of the hype and cashed in on it and must think that the market is about done or saturated with them or would not have been wanting to unload her remaining 50 or so examples. >>

Everyone has an opinion and I have no problem whatsoever when that opinion is that moderns
    are junk. This opinion is fully understandable and is hardly with no basis. It's perfectly normal that
    this opinion will get expressed.

You say that there is a problem differentiating an MS-69 from an MS-70. Certainly most collectors
    and the services will tend to agree with you on many of these coins. But this is true only to a de-
    gree and it applies only to some specific coins which happen to be moderns. Those who collect
    these coins see this as an asset for these coins; afterall they are superb whether they are perfect
    or not. But this applies only to some moderns. None of the regular issue clad coins exist in either MS-69
    or MS-70!!!
    There is no difficulty for even a novice to spot the difference between the finest and al-
    most the finest of these. Even so it still doesn't apply to proofs. It doesn't apply to varieties nor to
    coins in government holders. It applies to a tiny fraction of 1% of modern coins yet the earlier poster
    consistently uses one such incidental characteristic or another to slam modern collectors and modern
    dealers. When answered he doesn't respond but moves to another thread or another site to again
    slam modern dealers, collectors and coins. It's bad enough when the bashing is relevant to the topic
    but now we have to see it in all kinds of threads.

The earlier post is too harsh to classic collectors and probably mostly unfair. Negative threads are
    naturally going to get more reaction than positive ones and ascribing this to classic collectors was
    inaccurate.

It will be edited.

Tempus fugit.
  • Options

<< <i>cladking

1972/72 1c
    1983/83 1c
    1984/84 1c
    1955/55 1c

whether or not neptune wants to face reality or not is pointless. She was on here blowing all sorts of steam about these nickels. I would think that maybe someone somewhere just might regret slabbing and naming something that is so common and minor. There are many other well-known truly rare errors/varieties, modern AND classic, that are FAR more deserving of nifty names and slabbing. Obviously she won't, she's made her killing on all of the hype and cashed in on it and must think that the market is about done or saturated with them or would not have been wanting to unload her remaining 50 or so examples. >>

I have no idea what goes on on the BST board since I rarely check in. But I'll bet the dealers
    and collectors on this forum who like Morgans or large cents also sell some of the same on the
    BST forum. It would be surprising if those who collect or deal in any coins would believe they
    are just junk and talk about them this way.

Neptune caught a lot of flack over these coins and it's really all unfair. Even I gave her a little
    grief since I've never been the biggest fan of these either. There's nothing wrong with collecting
    them or selling them though and she did nothing wrong. She found a new coin and got excited
    about it. Why should this result in all the flames and insults? Many people have very legitimate
    concerns about the nature, the timing, the importance, and the potential future impacts of this coin
    but why should the discoverer have to answer to such concerns?

Those of us who don't see this as being viable can educate rather than attacking the coins, the
    services, the discoverer, and the buyers of the coin.

We should also try to keep in mind no matter how we see this that we may well be wrong. More
    trivial coins have gone on to get a massive following and high prices. Certainly all the animosity
    will increase the chances that the coin becomes long lasting and well known.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    Cladking,

I will agree with you on "why should the discoverer have to answer the concerns".
    However, the flipside is that those that express a dissenting opinion should not have to be the recipient of the venomous attacks from the discoverer.

Someone discovers something. Fine. It slabs. Fine. It sells. Fine.
    But, if someone disagrees with it, then the discoverer, unless they have a hidden agenda, should answer (if they want) and ignore the rest. Even if the agenda is not hidden (ie....discovered a new vam and want to sell it for all one can get quickly), then that doesn't make it right for the discoverer to attack anyone who dissents.

Even the ones who agreed that the SB wasn't much of anything didn't begrudge the profit to be made. Doesn't mean they should get attacked though.

Heck, I wish I could find a scratch on some coins and sell them for hundreds/thousands of dollars. I sure wouldn't get up in anyone's face on that but would be laughing all the way to the bank and ignoring the rest.
    I think it comes from a lack of maturity, hostility, and possibly other issues/problems.

Also, I think there is a difference when the person who discovers something is actually part of the numismatic community (someone who actually appreciates the coins and cares about things) and not someone who doesn't (seem to) care much for anything but the quick buck.

• Options
    Bochiman: I don't disagree with you and I should have avoided comment. My intention wasn't
    to pick sides; I simply don't believe it's wise to underestimate any of the principles or to write off
    these coins out of hand.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    OuthaulOuthaul Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The ONE thing they both have in common is how cheap they'll be in a short period of time. Both overhyped and neither are very interesting.

Cheers,

Bob
  • Options
    The Wisconsin varieties will be around for a long time simply because it's difficult to look at them and not see that they appear to be fully intentional. There will be a lot of collectors for a long long time who believe these are part of the set. The only question is whether or not more turn up in the several million coins still in storage which will enter circulation over the next couple years.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    Bochiman - as usual, you are so full of poppyc* that its funny. As forum bully (acknowledged via PM by several others) - it is obvious that you make things up to suit the circumstances and turn things around to suit any situation to belittle me (or whomever it is that you choose to bully for that week) in any way. I am very weary of your childish bullyness, and I think you need to go find a new target. I have not initiated any namecalling, or other things that you say, in regards to the Speared Bison, UNLESS I was attacked first in a rude manner - and then I only defended myself. And it has mostly only been by a small handful from this forum. . . but you my non-friend will surely reap what you sow.

As far as my not being a part of the numismatic community - just because I am not in your little gang, does not mean that I am not a coin collector. So I am not a dealer and I am not in your 'gang' - so what? I don't collect what you want - well too darn bad -you don't even KNOW what I collect - get a life.

I assume when you bully, you are accustomed to your victims cowering in fear from your bullying attempts, but that is not my style. At least I have style, which is something that you will NEVER have. So grow up Bochi - quit following me around the forum and trying to bully me - and while you are at it, you may consider quitting bullying others as well. Mind your own business - and quit trying to mind mine. You are a real wack-job. And YES, I am speaking that way to YOU ... and you ALONE - because YOU are the only one I have a problem with on this forum. Maybe others are afraid to speak up about your bullying ways and outright lies and twisting reality - but I am not. And don't send me any more PM's.
  • Options
    I haven't sent you PMs for A LONG time now Neptune. Not sure why you keep repeating that.
    So, I have a "gang" now? And, I am a "forum bully" from "various PRIVATE messages" you have received? WOW!!!!

Btw...one doesn't need to be a dealer to be part of the numistmatic community. It appears that YOU are twisting things to suit what you want.

And, no "my dear", I firmly believe that you have taken offense to what anyone has said to disagree with you. I do like how you like to portray yourself as a victim though. I also think it is funny how you make things up.
    Can you tell me who is in "my gang"? Can you tell me the last time you received a PM from me since you seem to allude that it was recent?

Also, if you paid attention, you would see I am all for people collecting what they like (hey....I am ALL for people staying away from what I collect so there is less competition!).....read my sigline. It's been there for awhile. Know what it means? It means modern collecting is cool as well image
    Never said you weren't a "coin collector" now, did I? I do find various wordings you have used to be peculiar though.

Now, can you please stop STALKING me and my posts? Also, please make sure you do NOT PM me, ok?

btw...cool....another edited post image

• Options
    Bochiman - as usual, you are so full of poppyc* that its funny.

Mmmm...Poppyc*.

(Darn censors wouldn't even let me post a picture of poppyc* image )
  • Options
    hi everone
    i was just wondering what everone thinks about these nickel now?
    they are about the only ones , that has keep there value.
    and has even gone up.
    pcgs say the ms 67 are now worth $5,000 dollors.
    the ms 66 $2,600 and so on.
    just wondering what people think of them now?
  • Options
    Hello, Mr. Alt,
    I think the same of them now as I did then and, now that you mention it, I probably have not thought of them at all in over four years.
  • Options

<< <i>Hello, Mr. Alt,
    I think the same of them now as I did then and, now that you mention it, I probably have not thought of them at all in over four years. >>

i am not a alt.
    i am new here but not a alt.
  • Options
    MoldnutMoldnut Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Hello, Mr. Alt,. >>

Derek

EAC 6024
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Hello, Mr. Alt,. >>

image >>

I was going to say, "Hello, LittleJohn", but I could not come up with the name fast enough. image
  • Options
    have no idel what your talking about.
    do you act like this to all the new people?
  • Options
    have no idel what your talking about.
    do you act like this to all the new people?

No, only the ones that show up by bumping a five year old thread on a controversial subject and resemble someone else who was banned several years ago.

How about a fresh start?

Start a new thread, introduce yourself and your collecting interests, and then initiate a discussion on the speared bison.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file