Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

A Few Non Germanic Coins From My Collection

While most of you have seen plenty of German and Austrian coins from my collection, I also have a small collection of assorted world coins that just strike my fancy. I was taking some photos tonight so why not share, here goes...

Probably the most pleasing well circulated coin I own. Nice even wear, never messed with. Bought at a local shop while browsing boxes of world coins. Legal tender in the US for many years.

This is how I like my copper, plenty of red but enough brown that I needn't lie awake at night worrying about it developing some carbon spots. Bought from a fellow collector whom I caught just as the mail from NGC arrived. These two coins comprise my entire Spanish collection.

A nice dragon crown. For me, this coin is the perfect example of how "ownership adds a point" - Everybody in the whole world agrees with NGC's grade except me! I bought this at a local shop out of the "better world coin" selection (not the same shop as the Spainish 2 real). It was priced on the flip at $130 so I asked the owner if he could do better. He replied $140 and I still bought it. Why? I'm stupid. image

Mostly I just liked the bee motif on the reverse. Nice glossy luster with just a hint of that lovely blue. Received as a gift during the Great Birthday Coin Hoax.

Man, I like this coin. Really great luster, a bit of rim toning and a very tough coin in high grade. Ottoman coinage is tough, tough, tough to find nice but when you do it is cheap, cheap, cheap. Therefore I have a little collection with this being my favorite piece. Bought from the same shop as the 2 real above.

I hope you've enjoyed looking, comments are welcome!

Comments

• SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,445 ✭✭✭✭
    Our side collections have more in common than I thought JamminJ. I like the yen, and the Spanish centimo, meaning I could easily see them as part of my collection, but the 5 qirsh is my favourite of the bunch. I'm waiting to locate a big 20 qirsh in similar condition, a rare proof of which was recently sold by Heritage and it did not go cheap. Until then, the 1861 gold 5 qirsh that I got from Civitas keeps me excellent company,I intend to have it graded at the ANA show. Civitas had it as MS65 in his site,I'll not only ask for a full refund, but for ownership of half of his shop if the grade prediction is incorrect. image
    Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Excellent coins.
    Bill

09/07/2006
  • harashaharasha Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Once again forcing me to reconsider where I go with my next "project." I was thinking of French gold, but another possibility had been a comprehensive collection of better world, not limited to crowns, and slabbed.
    I really like the Spanish and the Egyptian.
    Honors flysis Income beezis Onches nobis Inob keesis

DPOTD

• << <i>Excellent coins. >>

image Very nice Spanish copper.... image
  • MadMartyMadMarty Posts: 16,697 ✭✭✭
    Shouldn't those be in this weeks E-Bay auction???
    It is not exactly cheating, I prefer to consider it creative problem solving!!!

• JamminJJamminJ Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Our side collections have more in common than I thought JamminJ. I like the yen, and the Spanish centimo, meaning I could easily see them as part of my collection, but the 5 qirsh is my favourite of the bunch. I'm waiting to locate a big 20 qirsh in similar condition, a rare proof of which was recently sold by Heritage and it did not go cheap. Until then, the 1861 gold 5 qirsh that I got from Civitas keeps me excellent company,I intend to have it graded at the ANA show. Civitas had it as MS65 in his site,I'll not only ask for a full refund, but for ownership of half of his shop if the grade prediction is incorrect. image >>

I remember your gold Ottoman coin. If you remember back a bit you sold me a mid sized turkish Ottoman piece. I get the impression they're kind of a transient collection for you, pick up a few nice ones only to let then go when the newness fades.

<< <i>Once again forcing me to reconsider where I go with my next "project." >>

I have a few "backup" collections in mind myself. Ottoman coinage is one. Others include Portuguese colonial, Byzantine (particularly gold), or a 20th century Japan type set. I tend to like things that are exotic to my eye.

<< <i>Shouldn't those be in this weeks E-Bay auction??? >>

Not likely any time soon!
  • UdoUdo Posts: 984 ✭✭
    Great coins, James, I love the Egyptian image
    imageimage
  • AuldFartteAuldFartte Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭✭
    Awesome coins, James ... I love that Spanish 2R ... terrific eye appeal image

My OmniCoin Collection
    My BankNoteBank Collection
    Tom, formerly in Albuquerque, NM.