Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Recommendations please - Switzerland coins

I'm here in Switzerland (Lugano) on a 6-month work assignment and I would like to buy a few Swiss collectible coins. I'm U.S. coin collector (Dansco 7070 type set). Unfortunately I don't know anything about coins outside of the U.S. I will do a Google search, but I thought I would start here.

I would appreciate some recommendations. I'm not even sure what I would like to buy. But I want to get something that will remind me of this trip. I'm thinking of a Swiss modern proof set or something similar, but I don't even know if they exist in Switzerland. Or maybe some early Swiss classic coins. I'd like to buy from a local Swiss dealer, if possible

My budget is in the $200 range. I could go a little higher if something really interests me. I would appreciate your recommendations on both Swiss coins and dealers.

Thanks.
Bill

Comments

• SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,445 ✭✭✭✭
    Hi,

as a fellow collector of Swiss coins, I collect them by type in a Dansco album, but I also collect the 1 franc series in high grades, I'd suggest to buy a nice silver BU Standing Helvetia coin from the early-mid 1900s, a 1/2, 1 or 2 francs,a series started in 1875 and still produced today,preferrably toned. If you have some change left, why not buy an early silver 5 franc commem ,such as St Jakob? Of course these are Federal issues, Ticino had its own currency before 1850, like most Swiss cantons and you might come across a nicely toned billon coin of that period.

Enjoy your stay, Lugano is a wonderful place. image
    Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • I agree with Dimitri. But if you like the look of a proof coin, you can get the Specimen strikes of the Standing Helv. in the same time frame. They are a bit pricey compared to the MS strikes. But either type is a beautiful coin. Also the 1936 5 franc has a nice obverse design but not much of a reverse and is quite affordable.

Steve
  • CoinAddictCoinAddict Posts: 5,571
    Maybe go with some gold that is very reasonably priced.
    Or maybe something more expensive like this 5 Francs if you can find a Nice AU. I gave about $190 for this one.image
  • MacCrimmonMacCrimmon Posts: 7,050 ✭✭✭

<< <i> I'm here in Switzerland (Lugano) on a 6-month work assignment >>

Brutal, simply brutal. image

Yes, there are plenty of modern proof sets in Swz. The 2004 set featured the 10 franc bimetallic coin of the Matterhorn, plus the other standard issues. You can save some money by buying the Mint State (UNC) sets versus the proof sets, and to most eyes they look the same.

Also, if you are there through October, they usually have a big show in Zurich, I think. I'll see if I can find a show schedule.

Almost all coins will be raw in Swz.; coinrookie mentioned specimens - you will need to ask for silver coins which are erstabschlag, or EA, or First Strikes. These are essentially Swiss proof coins and they are quite reasonable, especially if you are only looking at SP63/64 grades. With some looking you could maybe find a 1/2 franc EA (WWII vintage) in a 63 grade for less than $35....maybe.

If you just want a complete type group but from regular commercial strikes, a 1953 year set has all the denominations, and should be quite doable for under $100 for all denoms; 1 rappen, 2 rp, 5 rp, 10 rp, 20 rp, 1/2 franc (also called 50 rappen), 1 franc, 2 franc, and 5 franc.

Don't work too hard.........image
  • SDCollectorSDCollector Posts: 886 ✭✭
    Thanks for the replies.

Yes, Lugano is a beautiful place. The weather has been brutal lately...very hot.

Where do you recommend I buy the coins? I'd prefer it to be in-person or with a Swiss dealer, just to make it a little more meaningful.

I will likely make a trip to Geneva and Zurich before I leave. Lugano's fairly small, so I assume there's no dealers here.

Thanks again.
    Bill
  • I bought a modern Swiss proof set from a small shop in Lugano when I was there in 2000. I really liked that area. We drove the half hour to Lake Como in Italy for dinner mainly so we could say we've been to Italy.