Home Sports Talk
Options

Sportscaster You Love The Most

frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,046 ✭✭✭✭✭
...or the Best Sportscaster - however you prefer to say it.

My vote is Vin Scully... and I'm even a Cardinals fan.

Jack Buck is a close second.

I also like to hear Bob Costas.

Shane

Comments

• Options
    AxtellAxtell Posts: 10,037 ✭✭
    Vin Scully and Jonny Miller are true professionals...the best, and they let the game be the focus, not themselves.

Jack Buck was a great, I wish his son would possess his same humility...but the whole 'that's the most disgusting thing I've ever seen!' and the fact he essentially rode his father's coattails to his job is bad.

For football, I really like Troy Aikman's style...solid and understated, he knows the focus should be on the game and not his talking. Too bad he has to be teamed with that buffoon Collingsworth.

Basketball, I really like Marv Albert...his off the court issues aside, I love his energy for the game.

• Options
    yawie99yawie99 Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭
    I totally agree with you on Joe Buck, Axtell. (And on Collinsworth, for that matter.) The guy can't carry his old man's mic. The combination of the elder Buck and Mike Shannon is probably my all-time favorite sportscasting tandem. Dan Kelly was another favorite.

As for current favorites, I like Gary Thorne and Bill Clement, but I guess it remains to be seen if they will ever work again. And I still like Madden, though I think he was better off with Pat Summerall.
    imageimageimageimageimageimage
  • Options

<< <i>...or the Best Sportscaster - however you prefer to say it.

My vote is Vin Scully... and I'm even a Cardinals fan.

Jack Buck is a close second.

I also like to hear Bob Costas. >>

Check out this book

Voices of Summer

For baseball, I also love Vin Scully and loved Jack Buck. And this comes from a die hard Cubs fan that loved Harry Carrey, but I thought Vin Scully and Jack Buck were better. For one thing, they weren't drunk when they called games. image

To this day, my favorite seventh inning stretch rendition of "Take me out to the Ball Game" at Wrigley was sung by Jack Buck. He got up there with a Cubs hat on (Yes, a Cubs hat), and sang along until everyone got to the part of "root, root for the..." at which point he threw off the hat and put on a Cardinals hat and said "Cardinals!!". I'm a die hard Cubs fan, but just loved that moment.

I also enjoy Bob Costas along with these other voices (current or retired but not in any order)

1. Milo Hamilton (Current Voice of the Astros and former Cubs Announcer)
    2. Chip Carrey (A lot of people find him annoying, but I loved him and actually try to watch some Braves games now as a result of his move to Atlanta)
    3. Ernie Harwell (Nuff Said)
    4. Jon Miller (If there is ever a voice that can relax me on a Sunday night to prepare me for a hectic week at work, his is it)
    5. Harry Kalas (Phillies announcer and the NFL voice guy. What's not to love?)

I kept this list to a top 5 and did not include any radio announcers as I believe radio is where baseball truly shines for traditionalists like myself.

Remember these Chuck Norris Facts

1. When Chuck Norris does a pushup, he isn't lifting himself up, he's pushing the Earth down
    2. According to Einstein's theory of relativity, Chuck Norris can actually roundhouse kick you yesterday
    3. There are no such things as lesbians, just women who have not yet met Chuck Norris
  • Options
    CardsFanCardsFan Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭
    Although I agree that Joe Buck is no Jack Buck I feel he gets a bum rap. Personally he one of my favorite current announcers, I think he does an outstanding job. He has a great broadcasting voice and his content is almost always top notch.

p.s. On the whole 'that's the most disgusting thing I've ever seen!' that was definitely not his finest hour, but I'm willing to look past it.
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,778 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Vin Scully is great and even Dick Enberg was good. CHICK HERN was the best for Basketball and hockey. He was voice of the Lakers and the LA Kings in the old days and he made radio and even TV exciting

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    I grew up listening to baseball dished up by Red Barber.........the old redhead was comfortable as an old pair of sneakers and he remains, in my mind, the standard by which all other sportscasters are judged.
  • Options
    What is the deal with Joe Buck and the quote "that's the most disgusting thing I've ever seen!"??? When did he say that and what was it about?

Although I'm not sure what you guys are talking about on the quote, I do think Joe Buck is a very talented broadcaster. I also have to agree with Jon Miller. His voice was just made to call a baseball game.

I absolutely loved that story about Jack Buck at Wrigley!!

Shane

• Options
    I think Joe Buck's totally over-the-top call was this past season when Randy Moss feigned mooning the end zone fans at Lambeau Field.

And how could I forget Harry Caray. I used to love watching the Cubs on WGN just to hear him. And as a kid, I probably watched The Cardinal Movie (a documentary the history of the Cardinals that was produced in '84 or '85) hundreds of times, mainly to hear some of his classic calls when he was the Redbirds announcer.

(typo edited)
  • Options

<< <i>I think Joe Buck's totally over-the-top call was this past season when Randy Moss feigned mooning the end zone fans at Lambeau Field.

>>

Indeed it was...I had the game on and actually was out of the room when I heard him say that, took a bit of research to figure it out that day as they wouldn't show it again (like FOX is the bastion of good taste? come on).

If it was the most disgusting thing he'd ever seen, then he's obviously not seen much. Given the background of the green bay fans mooning the opposing team's bus after a packer win, I thought the pseudo moon was pretty clever.

• Options
    I was watching that game and thought Moss' antics were kinda funny too. And I hadn't considered the irony of Buck's little diatribe being broadcast over the Fox airwaves. Good point, Axtell.
  • Options
    If I had known about the whole packer fan mooning the opposing team bus I would have thought it even funnier when it happened.

And I was just thinking of something funny to say to buck when he said 'that's the most disgusting thing I've ever seen!' How about 'I guess you don't watch FOX much do you?'
  • Options
    Hey now, let's not get on Fox! They tell the whole story. They probably have more liberals than they do conservatives. The problem that liberals have with Fox is that they have any conservatives at all.

Uh oh! I think we have opened a can of worms!!!

Shane

• Options
    I don't know about Axtell, but I wasn't speaking to their "news" division but to quality programming like "Trading Spouses: Meet Your New Mommy."
  • Options
    image Oops!

Shane

• Options
    1420sports1420sports Posts: 3,473 ✭✭✭
    Harry Kalas and Merrill Reese ...

Joe Buck is solid, so is Johnny Miller, Joe Morgan, Costas
    collecting various PSA and SGC cards