Home Sports Talk
Options

Pitcher's Dominance Gone?

AxtellAxtell Posts: 10,037 ✭✭
Just curious...has anyone else noticed that there have been few to no overwhelming, dominating strike out performances by any pitchers this year?

I mean I can't think of a single 15, 16 (or more) strikeout performance this year....any relation to the crackdown on steroids you think?

Comments

• Options
    Mac53Mac53 Posts: 805
    Maybe. I don't know if there's enough to be any sort of a pattern. I have noticed, in the limited number of games I watch, that the strike zone seems a lot smaller to me than it used to be, particularly at the top. Seems like anything higher than the belt is out of the zone.
    "Charlie, here comes the deuce. And when you speak of me, speak well."image
  • Options
    Brian48Brian48 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭
    Pitchers are not pitching as deep into the game these days. It's all about pitch count and at about 100 pitches, the manager pulls them out. The 5 man rotation also cuts down chances as well if you're looking at season totals.

Than again, I do admit I haven't seen too many flamethrowers like Roger Clemens or Randy Johnson in recent years.

• Options
    Brian48Brian48 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭
    By way, didn't Pedro Martinez have a 16 K performance this year?
  • Options
    jaybyrdjaybyrd Posts: 377

<< <i>By way, didn't Pedro Martinez have a 16 K performance this year? >>

Smoltz had a 15 strikeout game in ATL against the Mets. May have been the same game Pedro had 16, but that may be wrong.
    Collecting vintage material, currently working on 1962 topps football set.
  • Options
    CardsFanCardsFan Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭

<< <i>.any relation to the crackdown on steroids you think? >>

It made me check and I have to say no. I admit it does seem like there have not been a lot of big k games but for pitchers I've looked at k's are not down. You also have to look at Schmidt, Wood, Prior, Schiling and Sheets all have missed alot of the first half and Randy hasn't been Randy.

Of the top k pitchers from last year that are also top 5 this year only Roger Clemens might have less k's then the end of June last year.
    Santana 2004 - 100 k's thru June 2005 124
    Pedro 2004 - 97 k's thru June 2005 114
    Clemens 2004 - 107 k's thru June 2005 97
    The other top two this year Carpenter and Peavy are well above last year.

So I blame injuries to big pitchers as the reason.