Home Sports Talk

Comments

• AxtellAxtell Posts: 10,037 ✭✭
    Heaven forbid they pay tribute to the man that single-handedly saved baseball in Seattle.

Heaven forbid a team actually pay attention to it's past.

I am sure other teams have issued items for players on other teams.

And he 'ditched' Seattle by taking less money to go play for the Reds? Why don't you get your facts straight before you go rambling on about things you know nothing about?
  • Gemmy10Gemmy10 Posts: 2,990

My friend Axtey likes a good argument.

<< <i>My friend Axtey likes a good argument. >>

I like how you changed it from 'bitter' to this.

I guess you are trying to recruit more 'friends' to your aid huh spammy?
  • stevekstevek Posts: 27,582 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree with GoBravesGo. If the player was retired, I could understand the promotion, but not while he is still actively playing for another team - rediculous!
    stevek, EXACTAMUNDO

<< <i>stevek, EXACTAMUNDO >>

Spammy you are pathetic.

• SoFLPhillyFanSoFLPhillyFan Posts: 3,931 ✭✭

<< <i>I agree with GoBravesGo. If the player was retired, I could understand the promotion, but not while he is still actively playing for another team - rediculous! >>

Agreed, it looks like Seattle needs to sell tickets.

imageGlory Daysimage

<< <i>

<< <i>I agree with GoBravesGo. If the player was retired, I could understand the promotion, but not while he is still actively playing for another team - rediculous! >>

Agreed, it looks like Seattle needs to sell tickets.

imageGlory Daysimage >>

Unlike Philly, Seattle regularly sells tons and tons of tickets...

• you know, when I posted this, I honestly just did so because I thought the Mariners were stupid for doing this. I like the Mariners, in fact, I found out about this promotion, by staying up Very very late to watch one of their recent games on my MLB package in directtv........... but I totally forgot that Asstel is a mariner fan! So now that I know I got his thong panties all into a wad, it just even funnier!

fact = griffey may have "saved" the mariners, but he left them at the first chance he got and never looked back or cared. (as did Arod and BigUnit)

fact = he is still active (although not any good) with another team in the MLB

I challange Asstel or anyone else out there to find a current MLB team doing a promotion to promote a former player THAT IS STILL ACTIVE AND ON ANOTHER TEAM. Bet your butt that you will not find another one.

and that is my point. image
    Oh no GBG used a bad word trying to insult me! What am I going to do?

Oh I know. I'll laugh at his attempt at insult and call him out for being the 8th grader he is.

You'd think if people despised Griffey, there wouldn't be any demand for this promotion...baseball was set to leave Seattle until that playoff run in 95 (and the Yankees choking away a 2-0 playoff series lead).

I'll say it again...the reason for this is it's the 10th anniversary of that magical season, and they are honoring the man who most made it possible.

I know you can't understand appreciating what a player's done for the team...as I am sure you immediately brand any player who leaves your team as a 'traitor', but Griffey is absolutely VITAL to the history of the Mariners.

• A true test of whether this is a stupid idea will be to see if the Mariner fans do not take the doll, throw them on the field, or stay away from the game because of it. I would guess neither of the above are likely.

Its a marketing item and if Griffey is still well thought of in Seattle and it might draw a few fans that would not have come to the game otherwise and if the fans go home happy because they have a Griffey bobblehead, then its a good idea.

He left for less money to play in his hometown. And wasnt his father the bench coach when he came back?

He left to play for the Reds, and told management as early as 1998 (2 years prior to his trade) that Cincinnati was the only place he wanted to go to.

When he signed with the Reds, he EASILY could have commanded $20 million or more per year, as he had just come off a decade unlike any other player of the 90s. He signed a deal with the Reds to be close to his family, and if he had went anywhere else, he would have made tons more money.

It's funny, people talk badly about Griffey for taking less money and going to play close to home, and people talk about Arod for taking the payday. Why is it so easy to criticize people?

<<Why is it so easy to criticize people?>>

All it takes is for you to look in the mirror and you will receive an answer.

<< <i><<Why is it so easy to criticize people?>>

All it takes is for you to look in the mirror and you will receive an answer. >>

Spammy we've already determined you are an axtell groupie...so why do you continue to poke your head into every thread I am in?

Grow up already spam boy.

• << <i>I'll say it again...the reason for this is it's the 10th anniversary of that magical season, and they are honoring the man who most made it possible.

I know you can't understand appreciating what a player's done for the team...as I am sure you immediately brand any player who leaves your team as a 'traitor', but Griffey is absolutely VITAL to the history of the Mariners. >>

this just goes to show you how pathetic the team really must be, if that gomba is their savior. and how even more pathetic you are for thinking this is ok!

<< <i>this just goes to show you how pathetic the team really must be, if that gomba is their savior. and how even more pathetic you are for thinking this is ok!
    image >>

Uhm, yeah, the man who absolutely dominated the steroid era while playing steroid free is a 'gomba'.

A first ballot hall of famer if he were to quit today, yeah, right, a 'gomba'.

The only gomba here is you GBG.

• CardsFanCardsFan Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭
    I don't think the giveaway is that bad of idea although it would have probably been appropiate to wait until an anniversary after Griffey has retired. Speaking of which most haven't noticed but he's having another great first half. Sure he'll probably get hurt again but when he's in there he's still one of the best in the game.

<< <i>I don't think the giveaway is that bad of idea although it would have probably been appropiate to wait until an anniversary after Griffey has retired. Speaking of which most haven't noticed but he's having another great first half. Sure he'll probably get hurt again but when he's in there he's still one of the best in the game. >>

It's the 10th anniversary of that great run, and with a team playing below .500, I am not surprised they are using this type of promotion to get people in the seats (especially after last year's debacle).

I didn't want to comment on his solid season for fear of something bad happening to him, but if he's healthy at the trade deadline, I don't see how he stays with the Reds this year.

• ok, I'll say again............................

I challange Asstel or anyone else out there to find a current MLB team doing (or ever did) a promotion to promote a former player THAT IS STILL ACTIVE AND ON ANOTHER TEAM. Bet your butt that you will not find another one.

<< <i>ok, I'll say again............................

I challange Asstel or anyone else out there to find a current MLB team doing (or ever did) a promotion to promote a former player THAT IS STILL ACTIVE AND ON ANOTHER TEAM. Bet your butt that you will not find another one. >>

GBG you are what, 14? Thinking you're hillarious by changing my name to attempt to insult me?

Geez grow up already.
  • Axtell you must remember most people don't realize how much griffey meant to Seattle. I remember being about 7 when the mariners won the game to send them into the playoffs and everyone was screaming and cheering like never before. His sweet swing will always be my favorite and to this day he is still my favorite baseball player and the reason i started collecting cards..

<< <i>Axtell you must remember most people don't realize how much griffey meant to Seattle. I remember being about 7 when the mariners won the game to send them into the playoffs and everyone was screaming and cheering like never before. His sweet swing will always be my favorite and to this day he is still my favorite baseball player and the reason i started collecting cards.. >>

Like I said in my first post on this topic (and you I am sure know this first hand), baseball in Seattle was dead before 95, and I can't say I blame the people in Seattle.

That series in 95 electrified the city and put the wheels in motion for a new stadium, a real stadium...and baseball in Seattle was saved.

• stevekstevek Posts: 27,582 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Axtell - you can try to justify this rediculous promotion by the Mariners any which way you want to, and that's okay because you are a fan - but it's still a rediculous promotion for any reason while the player is active on an opposing team.

I can just imagine if the Phillies had a "Curt Schilling Day" sometime this season. The batteries would come flying at Curt as he walked out to accept the award - LOL

<< <i>

I can just imagine if the Phillies had a "Curt Schilling Day" sometime this season. The batteries would come flying at Curt as he walked out to accept the award - LOL >>

Well Schilling didn't save baseball in Philly...and the fans in Philly are (no offense) notorious for being unappreciative of their teams' player's efforts. (Hell, this is a town that booed (!!) McNabb when he was drafted, even though he's the best player to come from that draft (even though he can't take them to a super bowl win).

I don't think there is a similiar situation that took place in any city...where a team was so precariously on the edge of leaving town, with little to no home town support, only to be rescued essentially by one guy.

I guess it would have been similiar if the Expos before moving, would have been able to continue their playoff run of 94....hard to give an accurate analogy because I can't think of a similar situation in any city where one man put the team on his back and essentially saved the team from moving.

I'd be willing to bet you ask if you polled Mariner fans in Seattle, you'd have an overwhelming majority in favor of this.
  • Funny, you still have only consistanly AVOIDED the challenge but trying to change the subject. (showing everyone here that you know you are wrong)
    so let's try again. (And I will correct you name since you are so sensitive) but let's see you be a grown up an actually prove me wrong (like you could)

I challange Axtel or anyone else out there to find a current MLB team doing (or ever did) a promotion to promote a former player THAT IS STILL ACTIVE AND ON ANOTHER TEAM. Bet your butt that you will not find another one. >>

GBG-

Let it go already...since you obviously don't know your baseball history, or the history of baseball in seattle (not that I would expect you to).

I am not going to go through every baseball team's history and look for a promotion where they honor a player playing currently for another team, so if it gives you satisfaction that I am going to desist on this one? Will you shut up about it already?

Good god you acting like a child.

• << <i>GBG-
    I am not going to go through every baseball team's history and look for a promotion where they honor a player playing currently for another team, so if it gives you satisfaction that I am going to desist on this one? Will you shut up about it already? >>

THAT ANSWERS IT FOR ME. THANKS! You could not find one (because no other team would ever be that STUPID)

IF you could have found one you would have GLADLY come back and tried to rub in my face.

that is the funniest part is that YOU accuse me of not knowing things, yet you KNOW I am right on this one...................................................................................................................and so does EVERYONE ELSE HERE!!!

imageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimage
    Dude-

Chill on the bold...my eyes hurt.

So what if no other team has ever honored a former player still playing for another team?

I am through with this topic as you obviously will NEVER understand what the Kid meant to (and still does) baseball in Seattle.

Good day sir...learn to use bold a bit less in future posts.

• << <i>Chill on the bold...my eyes hurt.
    Good day sir...learn to use bold a bit less in future posts. >>

1 - The BOLD is to make sure you see that I was right and you not. image

2 - There is a REASON that there has never been a team that has ever honored a former player still playing for another team.........................because it is a STUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUPID Idea!!!!
    (it either says to your fans, "remember when we were good?" or "remember when we did not suck as bad as we do now?" imageimage

3 - You are HILARIOUS!!!!!! by saying for me to drop it. IF you thought for half a second you were right, you would be on this like a freakin Bulldog! but since you KNOW you are Totally Wrong and have NO way to back up ANYTHING you say here, you choose to play the "I do not want to talk about it" card. image

4 - The Mariners have never been that great. Never, Ever, Period. The ONLY thing they will Ever be known for is that at one time early in their careers, Great players like Randy Johnson and A-Rod played there. Also, that the now injury-prone, has-been Jr. did too. All it says to me and the rest of the world (and history will show) that SEATTLE can't keep their best players for very long, and did not win the Series when they had them.

<< <i>
    4 - The Mariners have never been that great. Never, Ever, Period. The ONLY thing they will Ever be known for is that at one time early in their careers, Great players like Randy Johnson and A-Rod played there. Also, that the now injury-prone, has-been Jr. did too. All it says to me and the rest of the world (and history will show) that SEATTLE can't keep their best players for very long, and did not win the Series when they had them.
    >>

Oww my eyes...your posts are awfully formatted...it's difficult to sit there and read them. But here goes:

The Mariners have never been great? Though never winning it all, they did set the AL record for 116 wins in the regular season. How many times have your Braves won 116 games in a season?

So how would you have countered Texas' $250 million offer to Arod? Keep thinking...because I am sure you have chimed in saying that it's ridiculous that anyone would pay a player that much?

And how would you counter Griffey wanting so desperately to be traded to the Reds that he'd sign for less than market value to play for them (remember, this was coming off his being the overwhelming best player of the 90s). No way you can counter that, either.

Randy Johnson had back issues his last year in Seattle and it's not unreasonable to say that not signing a then-34 year old fireballer with back history was a bad move. He just as likely could have had career ending issues as he had his continued dominance.

So what not smarty? Your three supposed strikes against the marines were all moves that had to be done for the health of the team.

What I am wanting to know is why you have such a crush on the Mariners? Why are you so hot to trot over what promotions they run for their team?

You fault the Mariners for never winning the world series, but how many times have the braves been the overwhelming favorites in the fall classic, only to fall short over and over and over again? They snuck through what, one time, when their talent should have had them winning several world series.

Look, it's obvious you think it's a bad promotion; I, on the other hand, respect what Griffey meant to baseball in Seattle and can completely understand where they are coming from, it being the 10th anniversary of it and all.

Let's leave it at that? Or are you not capable of leaving well enough alone?

• << <i>Let's leave it at that? Or are you not capable of leaving well enough alone? >>

Like I said before, when you know you are right, you fight for what is right - but when you know you are wrong the EASY way out is to Either divert attention to away from the subject
    i.e. ("Oww my eyes...your posts are awfully formatted...it's difficult to sit there and read them." or "Chill on the bold...my eyes hurt.
    "
    )
    OR to simply become a quitter (i.e. "Will you shut up about it already?" or "are you not capable of leaving well enough alone?"

Nice try, in your attempt to TRY And compare your mariners to the Braves. HISTORY is on the side of the Braves. How many Divisional titles has Seattle won? How many Series have them been in? How many have they won?

How Hall of Famers has Seattle produced? (or should I say, how many stopped by on their way to their "favorite team" like JR did??)

Admit it. You know full well that Seattle, dispite even having a few talented players hang out there for a few years before moving on to something better, The Mariners really are not now, nor have they ever been that great..........................AND THAT IS WHY THEY HAVE TO RESORT TO TRYING TO THIS REDICULOUS PROMOTION OF ANOTHER TEAMS PLAYER TO try to BEG people into the stands!!! It is just Pathetic!

I guess Next month they will have YANKEE HAT NIGHT since A-rod and The Big Unit are now in NY!!!!!!! imageimageimageimage

GBG-

This will be my last post on this topic.

History may be on the Braves side, but hey, the M's have only been around since '77. The Braves have been around what, 1000 years? Come on now, try to compare apples and apples.

So Seattle is just a starting ground for players on their way elsewhere? I think both Jay Buhner and Edgar Martinez would disagree with you.

I hope you get off on this type of behavior...and it's obvious you love the M's or you wouldn't be this passionate about a team you supposedly enjoy ridiculing.

Enjoy your mindless rants!

• << <i>I think both Jay Buhner and Edgar Martinez would disagree with you. >>

neither will be in the Hall....... so their opinion does not matter. image

<< <i>

<< <i>I think both Jay Buhner and Edgar Martinez would disagree with you. >>

neither will be in the Hall....... so their opinion does not matter. image >>

So now you are changing your tune when your ridiculous argument is found to be baseless?

And it's likely Edgar will make the hall as he is the greatest DH ever (and I don't care what your personal stance is on the position of DH...it's a position defined by MLB and he played it better than anyone). Dominating your position for a period of years is what makes a HoFer.
  • hey Scooter, I am Not changing my postion at all. I am still very sure that the Mariners are PATHETIC for trying something as Moronic as Promoting ANOTHER TEAMS PLAYER in order to try and Bribe people into their games. Pathetic. Period!

and my comments about STARS head for the hills when given the chance is still true. Breuhner and Martinez maybe ok in Seattle, but are not the A-Rod or Johnson type star I was referring to. You should try watching some other teams besides Seattle so you can see what REAL Teams are like and what REAL STARS are.

<< <i>
    and my comments about STARS head for the hills when given the chance is still true. Breuhner and Martinez maybe ok in Seattle, but are not the A-Rod or Johnson type star I was referring to. You should try watching some other teams besides Seattle so you can see what REAL Teams are like and what REAL STARS are.

image >>

You, sir, are pathetic.

That is all.

• << <i>GBG-
    This will be my last post on this topic. >>

guess this was a lie about 5 posts back, huh?

Again, you just avoid the facts and start changing the subject when you know you are burned.
    Typical.