Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1997-W Jackie Robinson $5 gold Uncirculated...hold or sell?

fivecentsfivecents Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭✭
This coin is the key to the modern commem series. I bought mine from the US mint in 1997 for $205. These coins are now sell for over $2000 image. Do you think they will keep rising in price or should I sell it ?

Comments

• Options
    LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,681 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Flip a coin,

you can take certain money now and you would have excellent profit, or hold and I believe it will only continue to go up as it's the single key to the entire modern Commemorative series. It will always be a high digit coin.
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,419 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If its part of a series that you are collecting and enjoy having, keep it. Otherwise, sell it and buy something you want more. Anything you buy with the money has as much chance appreciating in value as this coin.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    vega1vega1 Posts: 941
    By your use of the word "uncirculated" I am assuming it is raw. If it were me I would have it certified and sell it, and buy a classic coin with the money (define classic however you want).
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,938 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fully priced...sell.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,681 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>By your use of the word "uncirculated" I am assuming it is raw. If it were me I would have it certified and sell it, and buy a classic coin with the money (define classic however you want). >>

I think these things are more desireable in the government packaging.
  • Options
    vega1vega1 Posts: 941

<< <i>I think these things are more desireable in the government packaging >>

Oh.image
  • Options
    DJCDJC Posts: 787
    For $2000 cash in hand, what would you buy? Would you want the Robinson $5, and pay those levels for it, or would you choose something else? There's an 1856-S $3 gold in XF over at DLRC for around 2K that answers the question, for me at least. image
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,788 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    jcpingjcping Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭
    Sell
    an SLQ and Ike dollars lover
  • Options
    mrcommemmrcommem Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭✭
    I bought one when it was minted in 96. I never was impressed with the coin, rather unattractive actually. Sold it for $1950 last year. I think it has top out. SELLLLL. Mine was encapsulated MS69 by PCGS. Has to be MS69 to get top money.
  • Options
    ERER Posts: 7,345
    Sell, if you need the $$$. Hold if you don't.
  • Options
    relayerrelayer Posts: 10,570

Where's cladking when you need him?

If you're not in a hurry for coin money, you should hold on to it but keep an eye on the prices. If you see a drop, sell it and if you see it rise wait a bit and then sell it.

My posts viewed image times
    since 8/1/6
  • Options
    cmanbbcmanbb Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I, like most of us had the opportunity to buy one when it was issued. It was ugly then at $205, and it's still ugly at $2k.
    If the design were more eye appealing i.e. the 1995 Silver Eagle, the asking price would be a ton more. The demand for this coin is what dictates the asking price.............................SELL THE COIN

Compare the 30,000+ mintage for the 1995 ASE Proof VS. the 5000+ mintage for the Robinson.
    The Robinson is 6 times rarer, but the prices between the 2 are extremely close............

Look at some of the earlier commems...........lower mintages than the Robinson, and selling for less.
  • Options
    fivecentsfivecents Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I think these things are more desireable in the government packaging. >>

It's in a PCGS MS69 holder plus I still have the all the original US mint packaging and COA.

<< <i>Sell, if you need the $$$. Hold if you don't. >>

ER....I don't really need the money and I really like the coin's design, I think the baseball on the reverse looks cool.image

<< <i>Compare the 30,000+ mintage for the 1995 ASE Proof VS. the 5000+ mintage for the Robinson. >>

<< <i>The Robinson is 6 times rarer, but the prices between the 2 are extremely close............ >>

I think the 1995-W Proof ASE is WAY,WAY overpriced.
  • Options
    ClausUrchClausUrch Posts: 1,278
    Sell if you need the money; as with any collectable. I'm under the impression that the coin still has plenty of upside. It is the key to the modern commemorative series with a miniscule mintage of 5,100; unheard of in a modern coin! As long as the coin has not been removed from the holder in which it was issued and mishandled, it will be a "69". Why buy some worn out old piece of junk that nobody wants when this coin has much more attraction via eye appeal and investment!!!imageimage

• Options
    dpooledpoole Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This coin has the REPUTATION as a key, and the singularly low mintage to back it up (i.e., no bags of them are in a vault somewhere, waiting to be discovered). Modern commems have also recovered from the disdain they had, back in the 80s when the Mint was cranking out mintages that were through the roof. They finally got smart under pressure and reduced the mintages, although they seem to be succumbing to the temptation again.

I think that as long as the interest in coin collecting remains substantial, this coin is going to retain its value, and is less likely than the other coins in the series to decline in value during market downturns.

With respect to hold or sell, the same question applies for all the series keys. IMO, you're really asking what will happen to the coin market. My personal opinion is that the market still has legs for keys. But as you can see, lots of smart folks with personal opinions here think you should sell.
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,481 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree with the others. If it is part of a collection that you enjoy, you should hold it. If it is not part of what interests you as a collector, it might be the time to sell because the coin has been run up to what would now seem to be speculative levels. Yes, the mintage is 5,174, which seems small, BUT there are "old" commemorative coins that have mintages that are even lower than that, and they don't sell for $2,000 or more, except in very high grades. Nearly all of the Jackie Robinson Uncirculated $5 gold coins exist, and most all of them grade MS-68 or higher. AND there are 24,072 Proofs out there that have the same design, which would "fill the hole" for many collectors.

This IS NOT a rare coin.

Could this coin continue to go up in price? Sure, but you might use the money to buy something else that you like more that could also continue to increase in price.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    cmanbbcmanbb Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭✭✭
    AGAIN, everyone had the opportunity to buy the coin when it was issued. Why were there only 5174 pieces minted.............
    because there were only 5174 collectors/dealers who speculated (at $205.00). The demand was in the toilet the day they became available.

As for the 95 PF ASE being overpriced..................the demand has put it there.

• Options
    Sell it and add a thousand to it and buy you an MS66 Saint in a PCGS holder. image
    In an insane society, a sane person will appear to be insane.
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,481 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>AGAIN, everyone had the opportunity to buy the coin when it was issued. Why were there only 5174 pieces minted.............
    because there were only 5174 collectors/dealers who speculated (at $205.00). The demand was in the toilet the day they became available.

As for the 95 PF ASE being overpriced..................the demand has put it there. >>

Not only that the ordering period for the Jackie Robinson coins was extended another six months because of poor sales. That was very unfair to those who bought the coins during the ordering period with the understanding that the end date would be honored. image Still it did not make much difference. Sales were slow for the Jackie Robinson coin program.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    dpooledpoole Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>This IS NOT a rare coin. >>

We have this conversation repeatedly. fivecents was asking about whether the coin would go up in price, NOT whether is was "rare."

Need I drag out the usual suspects?

The 1909-S VDB Cent is NOT a rare coin, yet the price is high, and likely wil remain so. In my speciality, Three Cent Nickel proofs, several mintages are 10%-20% of the mintages of the Robinson MS commem, but don't draw that price unless of high grade.

Here's the formula for Value (devised by a liberal arts major image ):

(Mintage)
    ________________________ X (Number of Motivated Buyers), Squared

(Number known to Survive)
  • Options
    RarityRarity Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭✭
    Very interesting opinions.
    I wish that I discovered this forum sooner. image

• Options
    Think your estimate of $2000 is low; last one on ebay sold for over $5000, raw. I am of the opinion that one might have been a lightly sand blasted proof. It just looked odd, but the looks didn't hurt the price realized. NGC or PCGS MS69 rates over $5000; MS 70 at NGC pushes it up over a $1000 and MS 70 at PCGS is big bucks. Given the amount of appreciation, I would be looking to trade it even for something I really wanted, classic or otherwise, so as to not incur taxes on the gain.
    Xokie
  • Options
    flaminioflaminio Posts: 5,664 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Fully priced...sell. >>

Called that one right on, eh? image
  • Options
    fcfc Posts: 12,789 ✭✭✭
    sell sell sell, especially if you can turn a profit right now.
  • Options
    mcheathmcheath Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭
    WoW the issue has doubled in price in the last two yearsimage. I wish I had bought the one five cents was thinking about selling
  • Options
    For the latest info... I bought my Jackie Robinson 4-piece set for $2600, Raw.

I had them graded by PCGS. I just sold the MS69 for $4800.

I kinda wish I had it back...image But at least I still have the two silvers and proof in PCGS holders. image

But what the hay, My home and family are more important.
  • Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,254 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Interesting points, but surprised at the negative comments. The coin is ugly and not nearly as much as the dollar that came with it. One point that has really been missed is that the dispersal of these coins was tremendous and very few "speculator/investors" seem to have got hold of them. So they are even less available than the pure mintage figures would seem to show.

Also demand overall by collectors is higher, and it does get focus as key to the series whereas coins such as 3c pieces just do not have much demand regardless of the mintage.

I would think the '95W SAE would be lower in price as they are readily available, but then again demand is rather high for the series.

I got my Jackie for 170 from a large dealer in year of issue as they were not moving at the time. I think it is a good sell at 5k but certainly NOT at 2k where I, for one, would be a buyer.
    Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    aficionadoaficionado Posts: 2,309 ✭✭✭

People, this is MORE than just collecting a commemorative coin.

This is Baseball.

If you collect baseball items, this coin is a must have. The proverbial cross over appeal, works every time.

If you don't need the cash, hold on to it. Think about 10 years from now. This coin will be $10,000 plus.

• Options
    telephoto1telephoto1 Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I tend to agree with aficionado. There is still plenty of upside on this piece. This coin has something going for it that most modern commems don't....its appeal crosses over from numismatics into other strong areas of collecting...black history, for example, and most importantly, BASEBALL history. Plus the mintage is tiny, giving it even more appeal. I think $10K is easily attainable. If it's not eating anything, I'd hold.

RIP Mom- 1932-2012
  • Options
    RarityRarity Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>People, this is MORE than just collecting a commemorative coin.

This is Baseball.

If you collect baseball items, this coin is a must have. The proverbial cross over appeal, works every time.

If you don't need the cash, hold on to it. Think about 10 years from now. This coin will be $10,000 plus. >>

Can the MUST HAVE coin be the PROOF instead of the Unc (due to affordability)?

• Options
    Classof67Classof67 Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I tend to agree with aficionado. There is still plenty of upside on this piece. This coin has something going for it that most modern commems don't....its appeal crosses over from numismatics into other strong areas of collecting...black history, for example, and most importantly, BASEBALL history. Plus the mintage is tiny, giving it even more appeal. I think $10K is easily attainable. If it's not eating anything, I'd hold. >>

GREAT BST transactions with Wondercoin, segoja, moderncoinmart, notwilight, wingsrule, 123cents, fivecents, hunted, alohagary, ibzman350, WTCG, sonofagunk, amigo, coincoins, dcgolfer, chumley, nycounsel, tootawl, guitarwes, kimber45ACP, Zubie, Egger, RYK, 1tommy, EagleEye, NEFPROLLC, jmdm1194, Coinfolio
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,333 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Where's cladking when you need him?

If you're not in a hurry for coin money, you should hold on to it but keep an eye on the prices. If you see a drop, sell it and if you see it rise wait a bit and then sell it. >>

No one needed me. They still don't really. image

The only thing I have to say about future prices I've said a hundred times here; do what
    others aren't. If they're buying, sell and if they're selling, buy. This will rarely fail but is
    difficult to do.

Collecting is a lot more fun than worrying about future prices anyway.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Think your estimate of $2000 is low; last one on ebay sold for over $5000, raw. >>

This thread is almost two years old.

<< <i><< Fully priced...sell. >>

Called that one right on, eh? >>

Russ, NCNE

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file