Home U.S. Coin Forum

Grade the 1860 seated half, vote in the poll

BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
upgraded my No Motto type coin, what do you think?

imageimage

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

Comments

• mozinmozin Posts: 8,755 ✭✭✭
    I am no expert on grading Seated material but I do not see any rub on this one and it looks very clean to me. Pictures are often deceiving but this one could be MS65. Note that if I am way off I will refrain from attempting to grade future Seated material.image
    I collect Capped Bust series by variety in PCGS AU/MS grades.
  • TorinoCobra71TorinoCobra71 Posts: 8,020 ✭✭✭
    I vote MS63...

TorinoCobra71

• mirabelamirabela Posts: 4,954 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If it's a 58 it's a frickin' awesome one. And, per earlier gradeflation threads, I'd be surprised that it's still in a 58 holder. That said, I clicked 64. This one's unusual in that, at least from what I can see in the pic, the obverse is better than the reverse. They seem rarely to come that way.

Anyway, beautiful coin.
    mirabela
  • WWWWWW Posts: 2,609 ✭✭✭
    Wow! What a nice looking coin. The no motto's are especially nice to behold. I'll guess MS64.

edited to add: The obverse rim at 1 o'clock looks a bit banged up. How much that factors in to the grade, I wouldn't have a clue.
  • mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    The area above half dol on the rev: rubby bits? So I said 58. Nice half.
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd grade the reverse only a 64 because it appears to have some chatter and wipes above and below the eagle. The obv is essentially 65 but the reverse should keep it out of 65. For what it's worth I've seen a top tier TPG grade a worse coins as 66....but that doesn't change what the coin really is.

In a 65 holder this would be a low end 65 imo and in a 64 holder a very solid or PQ piece. Nice coin...where's the "S" mint mark??

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • clw54clw54 Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭
    I put 64 because I didn't see any wear on it and it looked better than 63.
  • dtkk49adtkk49a Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭
    I say 63
    Follow me - Cards_and_Coins on Instagram

They call me "Pack the Ripper"
  • fivecentsfivecents Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭✭
    MS65
  • 62, due to the apparent hairlines under the eagle. If that is on the holder, then 64, shot-65.
  • BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for your comments, some are on the right track..

• ElcontadorElcontador Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It appears the marks near star 7 & Miss Liberty's head are on the holder, not the coin. I agree w Roadrunner, think it's an MS 64. There's too much chatter on this coin for a 5.
    "Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."
  • prooflikeprooflike Posts: 3,879 ✭✭
    I voted MS63, by the image, there doesn't seem to be any rub.

• OldnewbieOldnewbie Posts: 1,425 ✭✭
    I went with 64.
    The coin is AU55

I'm surprised no one got it "right"

Well, we need a debriefing. Why 55?
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
    Oh, and that's evil that 55 isn't in the available answers.

Oh, wait a minute it's down low. Did you vote 55?
  • PutTogetherPutTogether Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭
    where is the wear?
  • DrWhoDrWho Posts: 562 ✭✭
    that's a heck of a good lookin 55!
  • DJCDJC Posts: 787
    Just saw this. No fair guessing now, but I figured either a 58 (if they caught the rub, or old holder) or 63-4 (if market graded, or newer holder). If that's a 55, it's the nicest I've ever seen in a 55 holder. Wanna sell it? I'll pay full bid for it! imageimage

Seriously, if you paid anywhere near AU money for it, it was the steal of a lifetime! (63 money was still a good bargain even, IMO)
  • It looks to grade at least 64 to me, possible higher.
    ...AlaBill
  • CalGoldCalGold Posts: 2,609 ✭✭
    55? No way. Did they net graded it for altered surface below the eagle?

CG
    I could see a 63 due to the chatter. But I don't see any wear, nor do I see any differences in color / luster breaks which would lead me to believe it's an AU. Even the eagle's wingtips are full, which is the first place I look to see wear.

Perhaps there are some luster breaks that don't show in the image.
    "Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."
  • DarkmaneDarkmane Posts: 1,021
    i saw some moderate "cabinet friction" but thought it was lovely. i'd love to buy it as a 55, but am shocked its not in a 62 holder (my guess from only first pictures)
  • mozinmozin Posts: 8,755 ✭✭✭
    That's it for me, no more guessing on Seated series.image
    I collect Capped Bust series by variety in PCGS AU/MS grades.
  • With my guess at 64 and possible higher, I suppose I should call David Hall and withdraw my application for a grading job. How this grades 55 is beyond me.
    ...AlaBill

Great coin for an album type set image

by the way, no one should feel bad for a high estimate, this was a tricky one!
    the coin looks like a MS63, just the kind of coin I like in my Dansco album, looks a lot more expensive than it really was
    the 1860 upgrades me from this 1844

that's a coin I'd like to have seen when it came off the dies... wow

What do you think this one grades?

• OldnewbieOldnewbie Posts: 1,425 ✭✭
    I certainly don't feel bad. I have fun and learn doing this. That was a great coin to post for the old "Guess the Grade" game.
  • relayerrelayer Posts: 10,570

I voted.

Did I win?
    My posts viewed image times
    since 8/1/6
    Thank you Baley for an educational exercise in why you shouldn't buy a coin based on an image alone. I would hope that I could pick up the light cleaning if I saw the coin in hand (but this is why I like a second set of eyes to look at a coin in case something like this gets by me).
    "Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."
    anyone else have some seated halves to show?

another interesting gtg thread..

• 291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,898 ✭✭✭✭✭
    MS63. The obverse is better but the reverse has some issues.

MORE THOUGHTS:

The coin does not look cleaned from the photos. I'll bet that someday it ends up in a major brand holder with a mint state designation.
    All glory is fleeting.
    naw, this coin's still raw-in-album

• tjkilliantjkillian Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭
    It is clearly an MS-64. If you submitted it to PCGS, I could see it grading MS-64+

Want to sell it for AU-55 money?
    Tom

• DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,175 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I vote ms65.
    "Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)
  • I voted 64. Looks like I'm in good company, win OR lose!

Wow, OLD resurrected thread! Why?
    Lurker since '02. Got the seven year itch!

Gary
  • crypto79crypto79 Posts: 8,623
    I went 64 too
  • BarryBarry Posts: 10,100 ✭✭✭

<< <i>anyone else have some seated halves to show? >>

There are a couple in my 7070 (click on link in sig line for full set). Both were cracked out of holders if anyone wants to play gtg.
    Here are a couple of bigger pics:

• lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,885 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have but one and it shouldn't be hard to grade. Oh yeah, I guess 64 for OP's coin.
    Lance.

imageimage
    The coin is AU55 ........I'm surprised no one got it "right"

What do I think? For starters, the grading service got this one horribly wrong. Even from the photo the fact that the coin has a full, uninterupted cartwheel is hard to miss. The usual spots where rub is found are perfectly peaked and rounded (eagle's brow-wingtips-knuckles, arrow head tips, Liberty's cheek-hair-arms-breasts-drapery lines, etc.). Might be the slightest touch of flatness at the very end of Liberty's leg/knee area. But I've seen so many TPG MS64's with massive plateaus all the way down her leg that this is more than market acceptable for a MS63/64.

The real kicker is that the flat part of the obverse rim from 11:00 to 3:00 is rough and perfectly coated in mint luster. That's usually the first thing to start going when coins are handled while in circulation. You just don't see AU coins with full field luster and rim luster. And if you do, then they are still worth MS63 money. Some old time cabinet-kept coins do show those particular features. Note also the unmolested wire rim on the obverse. If the grading service was net grading this coin for some other issue such as cleaning, etc. then it should have been body bagged in the first place. It seems inappropriate to me to take an otherwise choice unc coin and then holder it by lowering it 7-9 MS points.

roadrunner
  • tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,146 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I guessed MS62 due to the work done under the eagle. AU55? Hmmmm - only if it was severely net graded instead of body bagged. Is that an ANACS holder? My first hand experience with ANACS is that they used to silently net grade coins the other services body bag.
    Yes, there's a patch of hairlines below the eagle, and a few elsewhere on the reverse. And yes it was "net 55" and yes this was a long time ago... it's been in the album 5 years.
    Was just curious to see how the bell curve looked after a few newer members voted in the poll

• Batman23Batman23 Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Obviously my opinion is different, I guessed MS63.

<< <i>anyone else have some seated halves to show? >>

• melvin289melvin289 Posts: 3,019
    I am by no means an expert on seated coins. I only own 2, a 20¢ piece and a half dollar. But there is no way I see AU 55 on that one. No, No, No, that just won't do.

Ron
    Collect for the love of the hobby, the beauty of the coins, and enjoy the ride.
    LoL, all grades below 70 are "net" grades, this one included image

• mercurydimeguymercurydimeguy Posts: 4,625 ✭✭✭✭
    This coin graded MS61, ironically I sold both my 63's cause this one just looked nicer, the 61 has way more luster (cartwheel booming) and less chatter. Why it graded MS61 I don't know but I guess there is something they don't like about it.

• goldengolden Posts: 9,018 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>that's a heck of a good lookin 55! >>

Funny that I thought this was a new post and then realized I had already voted 5 years ago. So I made a different attempt 5 years later (w/o peaking) and came up with 63/shot to 64 due to some wiping under the eagle and chatter above its head. The obverse still looks very choice. That's a full grade lower than what I thought 5 yrs ago. Grading is not static - neither for us or the TPG's. I agree with the rest of my old comments. The luster on that coin is just not correct for an AU55 coin.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file