Home U.S. Coin Forum

This Morgan looks like a good'in, comments?

dizzyfoxxdizzyfoxx Posts: 9,823 ✭✭✭
I'm a commem guy but looking to add one or two nice colorful Morgans to my collection. Thoughts on this one and any advice on color-toned Morgans would beimage Mainly, what's one of the more desirable colors to find on a Morgan? This one seems to cover the rainbow.

Linkster of a nice colorful Morgan
image...There's always time for coin collecting. image

Comments

• TorinoCobra71TorinoCobra71 Posts: 8,050 ✭✭✭
    I would re-submit that to NGC to see if it would get the "STAR" designation, and oh yeah Cool Morgan! image

TorinoCobra71

• Very nice Morgan!
  • ibzman350ibzman350 Posts: 5,315
    yup, datz a goodun............been on my watch list.

Herb
    Remember it's not how you pick your nose that matters, it's where you put the boogers.
    imageimageimage
  • WWWWWW Posts: 2,609 ✭✭✭
    what's one of the more desirable colors to find on a Morgan?

I really like the green and red ones. It also helps if it's a tough date to locate with color.

• coinkatcoinkat Posts: 23,024 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I love original coins as much as anyone. Just be careful paying big premiums for common dates. I don't want to wreck the fun of looking... just be careful.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• dizzyfoxxdizzyfoxx Posts: 9,823 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I love original coins as much as anyone. Just be careful paying big premiums for common dates. I don't want to wreck the fun of looking... just be careful. >>

Thanks for tip and duly notedimage
  • MyqqyMyqqy Posts: 9,777
    I like that one a lot, but I don't (maybe luckily) have the money to spend that much on common dates...
    My style is impetuous, my defense is impregnable !
  • morgannut2morgannut2 Posts: 4,293
    The very approximate criteria for toners inludes: 1) grade? gem or better, 2) full obverse rainbow toning, 3) vibrancy or "blast" of the colors, 4)arrangement and type of color, including balance. It's very hard to see how strong the colors show from a picture or scan. They can be great in picture, then the coin looks almost brown in person--or-- the reverse can happen. Some of the most wanted? Brillant green, magenta, blue and gold bands across the obverse in an attractive pattern YOU LIKE.
    morgannut2
  • If you likeit, then buy it--I personally think its waaaay over priced--and I don't like the toning--what's the explanation--end of a roll or what--at $280 IMHO its too much!

Edited to add: Trends shows a MS64 1884-O at $65--is a monster toned (questionable) worth $280+ Your call. dude! I wouldn't do it.
    Curmudgeon in waiting!
  • nwcsnwcs Posts: 13,386 ✭✭✭
    You're in competition with some board members for that.
  • TomBTomB Posts: 21,126 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pure emerald green or pure ruby red will elicit outstanding prices and may very well be worth it.
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Just trying to understand--does monster toning--asssuming it is NT--deserve a premium of 400% over a plain white 1884-O Morgan in the same grade?
    Curmudgeon in waiting!
  • dizzyfoxxdizzyfoxx Posts: 9,823 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Pure emerald green or pure ruby red will elicit outstanding prices and may very well be worth it. >>

Does this hold true with early commems as well? image
  • I wasn't strong enough in my previous opinion--$280+ for a toned 1884-O Morgan is a major mistake--sorry if I offend anyone but I think it's a rip at that price! Had to give my opinion.
    Curmudgeon in waiting!
  • TomBTomB Posts: 21,126 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Those two colors, in their pure form and with terrific luster, generate outstanding prices for all US silver series. Another is intense, sunburst yellow but this color is relatively misinterpreted by many folks as a drab yellow tint; the sunburst I am writing about is a killer color.
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file