Home› U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Pinnacle....WHO designed your %&^#* new website?

topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭
I don't WANNA install no Flash player. I got Windows media an it's OK. And even after caving in and sayin YES to the foolish question, I waited the requisite number of hours for something to happen and when it never did, I left and came here to mamadog about it.

A ...... WEBSITE....... should be a SITE for da WEB. NOT a place to get fancy-schmancy.

All I wanna see is yer COINS. No tricks. No popups. No clowns. No elephants. Just some bare bones boring pitchers of COINS.

imageimageimage
«1

Comments

  • Options
    ERER Posts: 7,345 ✭
    image
  • Options
    DNADaveDNADave Posts: 7,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Link?
  • Options
    flaminioflaminio Posts: 5,664 ✭✭✭
    I think their website is purdy...

    << <i>Link? >>

    Pinnacle
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,514 ✭✭✭
    topstuff,

    I completely agree, and this is something I've harped on for years. A commercial web site should be designed for ease of use and speed of loading, not as a showcase for some ego driven geek developer who wants to one-up his geek buddies.

    Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    BearBear Posts: 18,953 ✭✭✭
    I kinda liked the old website better. So sue me.
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage
  • Options
    BigMooseBigMoose Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭
    I can't stand Pinnacle's new website. The old site was perfectly functional and easy use. And there was less waiting time to actually see the coins. TomT.
    TomT-1794

    Check out some of my 1794 Large Cents on www.coingallery.org
  • Options
    I like the new site... It's easier to find the new listings. The images are better, too.

    Dan
  • Options
    boiler78boiler78 Posts: 3,119 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I prefer the old website. The new site takes too long to get to the meat and potatos!
  • Options
    mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    I like the new site.
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • Options
    mrdqmrdq Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭
    I like the website and you all need to UPGRADE

    --------T O M---------

    -------------------------
  • Options
    flaminioflaminio Posts: 5,664 ✭✭✭


    << <i>I kinda liked the old website better. So sue me. >>

    Watch out for the process server. You like the old everything better, Bear!
  • Options
    cosmicdebriscosmicdebris Posts: 12,332 ✭✭✭


    << <i>I like the new site. >>



    image

    Great job whoever did it. image
    Bill

    image

    09/07/2006
  • Options
    TorinoCobra71TorinoCobra71 Posts: 8,109 ✭✭✭


    << <i>I kinda liked the old website better. So sue me. >>



    Yeah, Old website was better.......

    TorinoCobra71

    image
  • Options
    I'm in the like the new website camp. Functional and easy for me to find the coins.
    ...AlaBill
  • Options
    XpipedreamRXpipedreamR Posts: 8,059 ✭✭
    You don't have Flash? That's pretty lame.
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,801 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I still haven't gotten over losing Doug Winter's old website. image
  • Options
    XpipedreamRXpipedreamR Posts: 8,059 ✭✭
    OK, it is a bit annoying. That fake magnifier nonsense is a PITA. They should just have large and small images.



    Oops...didn't see that they DO have the large images. The "magnifier" is still corny, though.
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,801 ✭✭✭✭✭
    OK, it is a bit annoying. That fake magnifier nonsense is a PITA. They should just have large and small images.

    I do not care for it, especially as it seems to slow the pics down. I click on the large picture as soon as it gives me the option.

    I like the feature for clients that keeps a record of customer purchases with pictures and coin descriptions.
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,514 ✭✭✭


    << <i>and you all need to UPGRADE >>



    That's not really the point. I cruise the web on some of the fastest systems on the planet, so all the extra garbage has little impact on me. However, many buyers - and particularly those who have REAL money to spend because they tend to be older as a group, and thus less technologically sophisticated - are on older computers and slower connections.

    Anything that annoys the potential customer and diminishes their shopping experience can cost the business. Sites loaded with unnecessary foofoo do just that.

    Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    Russ is absolutely correct. The web site should be designed for the slowest system in use, not for the fastest. JMHO.
    In an insane society, a sane person will appear to be insane.
  • Options
    XpipedreamRXpipedreamR Posts: 8,059 ✭✭
    Maybe they figure that people with dial-up and crappy old computers won't be buying their stuff, anyway.



    image
  • Options
    Pinnacle's got some nice stuff, but I'm not amused with *any* website that wants me to upgrade to see to see what is available. Flash is junk & always will be junk.
  • Options
    I think it is a nice site but it is probably only good if youy have a broadband internet access.
  • Options
    K6AZK6AZ Posts: 9,295 ✭
    Good lord, I'm on a 5mb cable connection and a monster machine, and that site took about 15 seconds to load. It's awful.
  • Options
    ClankeyeClankeye Posts: 3,928 ✭
    Simpler is better is my mantra for just about everything. In writing, in music and very much so, in websites.

    The online brokerage firm I use just sprang a "new improved" on us and I hate it.

    It's not even a case of teaching an old dog new tricks. It's about simplicity and ease of usage. And, IMO, they have made a huge mistake by cluttering, adding unnecessary features, and just in general making it all less user friendly. Now, I'm taking about this brokerage and not necessarily Pinnacle here.

    Less is more sometimes. George Lucas would have made better Star Wars prequels if he embraced that. And any merchant with a website ought to think about it. Because I don't revisit sites that put me off very often.


    Clankeye




    Brevity is the soul of wit. --William Shakespeare
  • Options
    coinguy1coinguy1 Posts: 13,484 ✭✭✭
    I'm a bit confused here, folks - wasn't there a favorable thread on this very topic a fairly short time ago? Granted, I was on vacation at the time, but please tell me I wasn't imagining it?imageimage

    OK, I confess - I couldn't stand the suspense, so I just cheked:

    Link to other thread

    Did something change betwen then and now? That was a serious question.
  • Options
    ERER Posts: 7,345 ✭


    << <i>I'm a bit confused here, folks - wasn't there a favorable thread on this very topic a fairly short time ago? Granted, I was on vacation at the time, but please tell me I wasn't imagining it?imageimage

    OK, I confess - I couldn't stand the suspense, so I just cheked:

    Link to other thread

    Did something change betwen then and now? That was a serious question. >>



    My opinion hasn't changed.
  • Options
    poorguypoorguy Posts: 4,317 ✭
    There are several pros and cons regarding their new website. I think it is has a better overall design and must definitely have a more powerfull back end for administration purposes. This may allow them to get new purchases up there for everyone to see faster. I know everybody likes that but I never heard praise for it.

    There is so much more to a website than what someone sees when they visit it. Their new website gets a 10 on my scale for ease of navigation, exceptionally pleasing design, and many features that other websites leave out like the ability to sort and search through inventory. Regarding speed, I can tell that some might have trouble when visiting the site via dial-up, however, the folks at Pinnacle are very intelligent and know how to keep up with the pace of technology. Dial up isn't going to be around forever with faster and easier connections reaching even the most remote locations. My family in rural Louisiana even has DSL which is definitely fast enough to handle their new website. I agree that a website should be reverse compatible with older technology but it DEFINITELY should not be designed with just dial-uppers in mind. A new website should grasp new technology and grow with the times as their website certainly has done.

    Although I believe that the magnifying glass feature falls under the bells and whistles category, it's still a feature they worked hard to integrate into the site for the sole purpose of increasing the website's functionality.

    About the flash installing, media player cannot do near what flash does and vice versa, they are completely seperate applications. The use of flash on their website tells me that they are actively pursuing the next level of internet applications. The first coin website that puts flash to good use will add more interactivity to their website then just bells and whistles.

    Every website will have it's pros and cons but I believe the new website Pinnacle has is definitely an improvement over their previous one. It's a great website and I have enjoyed browsing through it.
    Brandon Kelley - ANA - 972.746.9193 - http://www.bestofyesterdaycollectibles.com
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,514 ✭✭✭


    << <i>Maybe they figure that people with dial-up and crappy old computers won't be buying their stuff, anyway. >>



    You mean buyers like Tradedollarnut?



    << <i>My opinion hasn't changed. >>



    Nor has mine.

    Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    nwcsnwcs Posts: 13,386 ✭✭✭
    Using flash as a main part of a web site went passe back about 3 years ago. I fight it whenever marketing wants to use flash junk at work. We have no flash on our web sites. image (We have about 8 so that's a good record!). I don't find Pinnacle's site that annoying. I just think you should provide an option for those who either do not have flash or do not wish to use flash.
  • Options
    ClankeyeClankeye Posts: 3,928 ✭
    Coinguy--

    For the record--I don't dislike Pinnacle's new website. It's kind of a neutral to me. It's workable and I'll get use to it.

    What I was railing about is that I have had a couple of sites I use a lot lately "improved" for me. And in those cases--I really liked the old sites better.
    Brevity is the soul of wit. --William Shakespeare
  • Options
    OuthaulOuthaul Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭✭✭


    << <i>Maybe they figure that people with dial-up and crappy old computers won't be buying their stuff, anyway. >>


    Perhaps they use these "crappy old computers" because they'd rather spend the money on coins.

    Personally, I don't go for the extra garbage. Flash? Who gives a ratz azz? I'm not interested in your flash, or your trash...I'm looking to spend some cash. And if you don't keep it simple for me to do it, I'll look elsewhere.

    I don't want to load yet ANOTHER program on my system just to see your pictures. I already have stuff built in to my system for that. Websites designed like this only perpetuate the bloatware people end up with (sometimes unknowingly) on their machines. Leave it to the internet geeks to turn a blazing 2.8ghz machine into a 12mhz sloth.

    Just give me the meat and potatoes!

    We now return you to our regularly scheduled banter...image

    Cheers,

    Bob
  • Options
    elwoodelwood Posts: 2,414 ✭
    I liked the overall look and layout.
    It was a bit slow.
    I do not like the magnifiers. They're kind of a joke.
    Wished you could just click and get a larger inmage or a zoom feature.
    I must have Flash?? I wasn't asked to have it installed??
    Please visit my website prehistoricamerica.com www.visitiowa.org/pinecreekcabins
  • Options
    elwoodelwood Posts: 2,414 ✭
    Coin images are kinda fuzzy.
    Please visit my website prehistoricamerica.com www.visitiowa.org/pinecreekcabins
  • Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 23,224 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I dislike the new Pinnacle site immensely. It is slow, cumbersome, loaded with features that have no to little value and is not as user-friendly as the older site. It is amazing that the site had such a significant redesign when the old site worked so well. I have sent two emails to Pinnacle outlining what it is that I do not like about the site and I also posted twice to the original thread and in both instances I was quite clear that I did not like the new site. The new site drives customers away and will cost Pinnacle money.
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

    In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

    image
  • Options
    XpipedreamRXpipedreamR Posts: 8,059 ✭✭


    << <i>

    << <i>Maybe they figure that people with dial-up and crappy old computers won't be buying their stuff, anyway. >>



    You mean buyers like Tradedollarnut? >>






    Apparently. There's probably not all that many Tradedollarnuts with crappy connections/computers out there. Heck, I'm practically on food stamps and I've got cable. I'm sure they know what they're doing image
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,514 ✭✭✭


    << <i>There's probably not all that many Tradedollarnuts with crappy connections/computers out there. >>



    The well heeled collectors as a group tend to fall in to that category. Just take a look at how many of the most valuable registry sets don't even have images. It's because these collectors are, on balance, older and less computer literate. But, they have the bucks.

    Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    originalisbestoriginalisbest Posts: 5,971 ✭✭✭✭
    As a fan of both the intelligent use of Flash - and of standards-compliant, forward-thinking use of CSS in the construction of websites - I would argue that there are perfectly appropriate uses of Flash on the web, depending on who and what you're designing for, and places where it's best not used. For a coin site/dealer, I'm of the opinion that it's not needed. The design can be pleasing and the navigation easy without the use of Flash in anything more than a eye-candy role.

    But as far as 3-years-ago, yesterday's-news and "I can't believe their site's constructed in this way" - designs that use tables for layout are what make me laugh uproariously.
  • Options
    K6AZK6AZ Posts: 9,295 ✭
    Xpipe, there is still a large percentage of the country that still has no broadband. We didn't have access to broadband until last summer.
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,790 ✭✭✭✭✭


    << <i>

    << <i>and you all need to UPGRADE >>



    That's not really the point. I cruise the web on some of the fastest systems on the planet, so all the extra garbage has little impact on me. However, many buyers - and particularly those who have REAL money to spend because they tend to be older as a group, and thus less technologically sophisticated - are on older computers and slower connections.

    Anything that annoys the potential customer and diminishes their shopping experience can cost the business. Sites loaded with unnecessary foofoo do just that.

    Russ, NCNE >>



    Let me add to what Russ is saying for those that just think "pretty is good"....

    I have fast systems. I used to check out the Pinnacle site weekly and see if there were any coins to interest me. I don't do that now.
    I don't like Flash.
    I don't like "fancy".

    When I have money to spend, I want to be in and out. I don't want to play games.

    So, let me ask this.....how many people were so turned off by the old style/site that they didn't visit it to look for coins?
    Now, I know of at least 1 (ME) that no longer goes to the site....potential lost revenue, right?

    I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

  • Options
    originalisbestoriginalisbest Posts: 5,971 ✭✭✭✭
    Actually, for me (and on a T-1 line) - I recall that the old site took a PAINFULLLLLLY long time for images to load. God knows what it would've been had I been on dialup.
  • Options
    krankykranky Posts: 8,709 ✭✭✭
    I agree totally with Russ. The type of person likely to be buying coins from Pinnacle is not likely to have a monster system. They likely aren't members of message boards either.

    Less is more. I didn't like the site because there are too many images loading and the screen jumps around as each one falls into place (that's a minor annoyance). Flash should NEVER be used on a commercial site. It adds nothing. Particularly in this business.

    All due respect to poorguy, but though you and I are techies, I disagree with you. You say that the first coin website that puts flash to good use will add more interactivity to their website then just bells and whistles. I say when that day comes, fine. Until then, I don't see the use.

    New collectors, please educate yourself before spending money on coins; there are people who believe that using numismatic knowledge to rip the naïve is what this hobby is all about.

  • Options
    originalisbestoriginalisbest Posts: 5,971 ✭✭✭✭
    I agree - no need for the glitz when an informed coin buyer usually just wants to get to the coins. No "glitz" doesn't mean it shouldn't be well-designed and pleasant to look at, though. Clear and logical navigation, large and accurate and fast photos of the coin, with just enough branding (so they know where they are and who to call/email) but which succeeds at not getting in the way of the coins.

    As my first boss' sign in the shop case said - "This is no museum. This junk is for sale!"
  • Options
    poorguypoorguy Posts: 4,317 ✭
    All due respect to poorguy, but though you and I are techies, I disagree with you. You say that the first coin website that puts flash to good use will add more interactivity to their website then just bells and whistles. I say when that day comes, fine. Until then, I don't see the use.

    There are very powerful tools that can be utilized with newer versions of flash that rival ASP and PHP when working with databases and dynamic website content. The problem is, it's so darn hard to learn. I agree with you that it should not be used extensively unless the flash application is not even apparently flash but part of the page and actually does something useful. Banner ads, intros, and other crap like that just gum up otherwise perfect sites.
    Brandon Kelley - ANA - 972.746.9193 - http://www.bestofyesterdaycollectibles.com
  • Options
    GOLDGUYGOLDGUY Posts: 253 ✭✭
    All of your comments are appreciated and duly noted (on the previous thread as well). Some of you seem particularly bothered by the functions on our new site and we apologize that you're having such trouble with it. Naturally, it is our intention to have a site that is enjoyable to use by ALL of our clients.

    We take all comments and constructive criticisms seriously even on a forum (like this) that allows anonymous postings. The unsolicited feedback we're getting directly from our existing client base has been overwhelmingly positive so we're a little thrown-off by the negative balance we're reading here.

    Again, we appreciate your comments and are discussing some of the criticisms with our web designer. Cheers,

    (Edited for a spelling error).
    Todd L. Imhof
    Partner / Executive VP
    Heritage Auctions
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,663 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Actually, the "Use Magnifier" function is pretty damned cool! image

    Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

  • Options
    KentuckyJKentuckyJ Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭

    Some aspects are improved but, overall, I liked the old one better. On the old one, I could read every coin's description on the same page and click open a photo if I was interested. That saved time. I was a regular viewer and only needed to scan the new items that were posted in a different color. Lots of coins came to my attention on that system. If those same coins were listed title only, like today, I would never have clicked them open.

    My one complaint against Pinnacle is how often it was pointless to check on a new item listed on the site. Coins would be sold or out on approval but the site never let you know that. There were coins I bought that Pinnacle continued to list as available. DLRC and David Hall have systems that take coins off, or note they're on hold, the second you buy them. Even Legend, as slow as they sometimes are, will note a coin is on hold. Pinnacle said they were going to improve this situation but I've not been back to the new site enough to know whether or not it ever happened.

    So, for me, the new site has decreased my interest in Pinnacle. I have only so much time to check on new coins. I don't see any shortage of top quality dealers. I still think DLRC has the best and easiest website to use, even if their percentage of monsters does not rival the competition.

    Personal .02¢ only and definitely NOT meant as a bash against Pinnacle.

    KJ
  • Options
    SunnywoodSunnywood Posts: 2,683 ✭
    Todd,

    It makes perfect sense that you would get positive feedback from your clients, but negative comments on an anonymous forum. Your clients want to maintain a good relationship with you, so they are less likely to be critical to your face !! Whereas on here, we specialize in being critical all the time !!!

    I particularly dislike the fact that I have to use the search feature and click on several things before I can get to the coins. I searched for Bust quarters the other day ... first you click on inventory, then on the denomination drop-down, then you select quarter, then you have to click on the series (and those should be listed in chronological order, not alphabetical order !!!!!!!!!!) ... then you have to click "Search"

    Old site was definitely easier in terms of getting right to the coins !!!

    But, I still found the coins, just took a little longer.

    Sunnywood
  • Options
    clw54clw54 Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭
    The old site was fine. This one complicates matters too much. The "loupe" feature is pretty cool, however.
  • Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 23,224 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I guess I am in a numismatic minority, as Sunnywood might call it, since I am a long time client of Pinnacle and have not only complained in both threads about their site but have also taken the time to write and send two emails to them detailing the issues I have with the new site.

    KentuckyJ and Sunnywood described my biggest issues with the new site and that is the loss of the ability to quickly move through the coins without opening up the links. I was quite happy to read the descriptions and then skip the coins I thought might not be of interest to me. This worked well as I own many coins from Pinnacle but I, too, have looked at the site less because of the new layout.
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

    In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

    image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file