Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

I opened my last 10 'Speared Bison' rolls

When I first found the Speared Bison, my banker had only allowed me those ten rolls. Then thanks to LJ from the forum, I got about 10 more rolls at bank down the road in another town. Then my intense "hunting", searching and finangling finally paid off and I found a box for sale. He sold it to me for $900. Why? I still don't know that - possibly my angels.

Out of the 50 rolls - I found approximately 30 that may make 66 or higher, I am hoping. To date - last I looked there were only 3 PCGS graded 66's and a couple handful of 65s - the rest are grading at 64, 63 because the SB rolls are BEAT UP big time. You can open another roll (non SB) and find much nicer coins. Finding nicer coins in SB rolls is TOUGH.

So basically out of 49 rolls (I have one end-roller that I'm not opening) I got 30 that were the top dogs with no marks/hits - or at least very minute, if at all. They will all at LEAST be 65's, but I am most sure (Hi David) that most, if not all of them will at least be 66's.

One thing I would like to mention is that I was very, very careful to let the market 'establish itself' by initially starting all of my SB auctions at 88 cents or $8.88. The pricing of the very few that were sold off of eBay was based upon those eBay sales.

I then drew up a spread sheet and took the average for my BIN's, but found most folks would rather bid, so quit BIN. However, I do still occasionally list a BIN for those impulse shoppers.

Before this, I really didn't sell very many coins - just dispersement of my collection that I no longer wanted (like I may do again someday when I find my round tuit.)

So far, I only had one complaint from a guy who had Buyer's Remorse. He bought a 'lot' of the flawed SB's, and then decided he didn't want them. Besides that, everyone has been very nice and are very pleased with the coins. I have met a lot of very nice folks along the way, and also learned a WHOLE lot!

Who knows where the SB market will go next, but have noticed that they are not quite as plentiful as they were when I first released the news locally to the TV station.

I know that Wirehead had a PCGS 66 on eBay last wk. that was bid up to $720 and his reserve was not met (he had a high reserve, as he basically was testing waters - so he stated, and was having afterthoughts about selling.)
LJ has the other 2 66's from PCGS, and I can't WAIT to get mine too! (Hi again, David!) image

I do have a few 66's from ANACS and NGC, but won't be sending any more coins to them - for obvious reasons. And I will keep the best 'Lucky 13' grades for my grandkids.

LJ has a few in at PCGS also, and am anxious to hear his grades as well.

Now, I wonder - out of 70 rolls - did I miss any? Do I feel like going back through them to check/see? AGH! Maybe I will let my brother do it and also the other rolls I bought from local coin dealer that are just sitting. I opened a few and found zip, so quit opening 'that' batch. Only 1 in 33 were 66 or higher (IMHO).

Well, just thought I'd share some of my thoughts and experience with anyone who is interested in listening.

Have a nice weekend.
Pam

Comments

• Options
    ddinkddink Posts: 2,748
    Good for you Pam! Would you tell us how many spears you found, or is that a business secret? image

God bless!
    I heard they were making a French version of Medal of Honor. I wonder how many hotkeys it'll have for "surrender."
  • Options
    Hey dd - I am not sure - but let's see ........ about 220 or thereabouts. Average per roll is 3. Average of higher grade is 1/33.

• Options
    p8ntp8nt Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭
    You are going to be rich image Good for you!
  • Options
    RampageRampage Posts: 9,418 ✭✭✭✭
    Hey Pam,

Congratulations again on the fantastic find. Good luck pulling in some MS66s. And, thank you again for the contest where I won one. imageimage

Richard.
  • Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,760 ✭✭✭✭
    Best of luck!

Perhaps it's time for a give away? image

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options

<< <i>Best of luck!

Perhaps it's time for a give away? image >>

imageimage
    - -

Ask me no questions, I'll tell you no lies.
  • Options
    MadMartyMadMarty Posts: 16,697 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Jeez! You found 220! I cannot find (or even afford) 1! You are going to be rich image Good for you! >>

There are plenty on E-Bay including the Ultra Rare Speared Ass Buffalo!!!
    It is not exactly cheating, I prefer to consider it creative problem solving!!!

• Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    Hey, there's even a Speared Foot version. image

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    Is it worth searching the rolls from the mint, or are all the SBs from one batch of nickels in a certain location (like the extra leaf quarters from Tuscon)?
  • Options
    It appears you did very well with your discovery Pam. Maybe one of these days I'll find something that is unique. This is definitely a fun hobby to be involved in and of course can get quite expensive at times.
  • Options
    Coinhusker - to my knowledge they have only been found in bank wrapped rolls in East TX. I did see one guy in Canada? or something who 'said' he found one in mint roll, but I don't believe it.

• Options
    hi
    i found all my in bank wrapped rolls.
    littlejohn
  • Options
    Neptune, Can you tell me what production run you found your speared bisons in? I have some unopened boxes from 4/21/05 but I don't want to open them unless I need to. I want to make sure the speared bisons were found around that time. Otherwise the boxes are more valuable to me sealed.
  • Options
    FullStepJeffsFullStepJeffs Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭
    Pam,

Thanks for the update... and please enter me in your giveaway!image

Steve
    U.S. Air Force Security Forces Retired

In memory of the USAF Security Forces lost: A1C Elizabeth N. Jacobson, 9/28/05; SSgt Brian McElroy, 1/22/06; TSgt Jason Norton, 1/22/06; A1C Lee Chavis, 10/14/06; SSgt John Self, 5/14/07; A1C Jason Nathan, 6/23/07; SSgt Travis Griffin, 4/3/08; 1Lt Joseph Helton, 9/8/09; SrA Nicholas J. Alden, 3/3/2011. God Bless them and all those who have lost loved ones in this war. I will never forget their loss.
  • Options
    MadMartyMadMarty Posts: 16,697 ✭✭✭
    I wonder when PCGS is going to put it in the registry? image
    It is not exactly cheating, I prefer to consider it creative problem solving!!!

• Options
    I wonder if they would ever un-designate a "variety", admit their error and move on?
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Apropos of the coin posse/aka caca: "The longer he spoke of his honor, the tighter I held to my purse."

• Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Neptune, Can you tell me what production run you found your speared bisons in? >>

She is be unable to respond to your query.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    goose3goose3 Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I wonder if they would ever un-designate a "variety", admit their error and move on? >>

Micro O morgans.
  • Options
    Good point, Goose, so there is precedent.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Apropos of the coin posse/aka caca: "The longer he spoke of his honor, the tighter I held to my purse."

• Options
    DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,963 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not all micro-O Morgans have been un-designated... just the 1896, 1900 and 1902 bad boys. The 1899 is still welcome at the party.
    When in doubt, don't.
  • Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
    TTT:

Hoard the keys.
  • Options
    TopographicOceansTopographicOceans Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭✭
    Hi Russ image
  • Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Let's see some images! I have not "heard" of this size of "herd" other than when they were first discovered.
    oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,893 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thank You Pam, for popping up once again thee old thread! I still think this is/was a GREAT FIND! Just seeing your old thread makes me still want to hunt down your discovery. Good for you, dear!image

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file