Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1999 Silver Proof Opinions Needed

Hello everyone, I recently pulled my 1999- 2004 silver proof sets out of storage, and to my dissapointment the 1999 has started toning on the obverse of several of the quarters. I have seriously debated about selling it before it becomes worthless, or am I wrong in thinking that. I know that a deep cameo appearance will be lost with toning especially when it comes to the the silver proofs sets. I know toning is inevitable, even in some graded slabbed coins. Any input would be greatly appreciated. William

Comments

• Options
    MyqqyMyqqy Posts: 9,777
    Do you have pictures of the coins in question? What type of toning is it? Many proof coins can have toning, and still retain their "deep cameo look"........ image
    My style is impetuous, my defense is impregnable !
  • Options
    It seems this is common to the 99 silver set. They dont get premium price with toning, but I bet you can still get around $250, depending on the severity of toning. If you sell on Ebay, make sure you list the toning and a picture if possible. This will keep you from a return or a negative.

Good luck and welcome to the crazy farm!!!!
  • Options
    First of all...welcome to the boards. This is a place where wisdom and knowledge abound so take advantage of it. In regards to your question...IMHO I feel that it will make the premimum of your proofs go up. Toning is beautiful and I don't think you will have to worry about losing any value on your proofs. I do however think that the "rare" 1999 Silver Proof set is not worth the $250-285 it is going on EBay. I mean come on...the set is like 6 years old and are abundant in numbers to the point of flooding the market. But, if they are going for that much so be it...just MHO. Take care and enjoy your time on the forums.

M J Hoffpauir
    "There are two types of people in the world. Those that do the work and those that take the credit. Try to be in the first group, there is less competition there" - Ghandi
  • Options
    relayerrelayer Posts: 10,570

I've got some 2000 silver sets toning red on the quarters.

I've seen the 1999 silver sets trading around $300 lately on eBay lately. I sold off my extras and just have the one set to keep. I wish I sold my others in todays market.
    My posts viewed image times
    since 8/1/6
  • Options
    DorkGirlDorkGirl Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭
    image Toning can be a real plus. If you can get us some pics, we'll be able to let you know one way or the other.
    Becky
  • Options
    It seems like all the modern coins are toning in a golden color. Maybe it's too early to tell if other colors will develope, but the majority I've seen are golden in color. If that's the color they're going to be, I'd rather have "blast white".
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Most of the toning that I see on Proof sets that go bad is dull, streaky brown. That does not cut it with anyone, except those who think that ANY toning is good toning.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The wholesale "bid" on the 1999 silver set has reached $310.00. image

I'm not selling my only set, which as not toned, because I've too mich collector in me. image BUT I had a toning set, I'd consider selling it at this really high level, and perhaps buying another perfect white set, if that's what you like.

Look at it this way. If the set has not changed in six years, chances are given reasonable storage, it will be pretty stable.

Still I'd think about where you stored your sets. If it was in an area where the temperatures reached up and down extremes, or where it was really hot and humid, I'd think about keeping my sets some place else.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options

I'd hang onto them.They seem to go up in price every week.You may also want to store them smoewhere else.
  • Options
    66Tbird66Tbird Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭
    red, brown,,,, well I've got the light blue on some of mine. wierd. Lucky for me my 99 is the best set I have for All dcams and No tone.image
    Need something designed and 3D printed?
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome aboard.
    Tempus fugit.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file