Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Newer Silver Proof Sets

I am new to coin collecting and I see alot of these newer proof sets like 1999 silver sets where the coins are toned ( I guess toned, bronze patches/tint to some areas). Does being discolored like that bring down the price to the point I should avoid collecting them or would it be to my favor in the long run as I think it adds some eye appeal as I see you guys referring to.

Jj

Btw I am new, and hope to be around for a while

Comments

• Options
    TorinoCobra71TorinoCobra71 Posts: 8,023 ✭✭✭
    image to the forums. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Some toning is appealing and some arent.

Regards,

TorinoCobra71

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,481 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Unfortunately some sets have toned in the mint holders from whatever reason(s). Sometimes it has to do with improper storage. Other times it is believed that the mint packages have problems with them that cause the coins to tone.

Does the toning raise or lower the value of the sets?

If you get lucky and get great toning, you could sell the coins for big bucks to people who are ga-ga image over toning.

BUT ...

Usually the coins tone uglyimage and are worth less, usually quite a bit less.

It's all in the luck of the draw, and usually the draw is bad when these sets tone in the mint issued holders.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    MyqqyMyqqy Posts: 9,777

It really depends on the type of toning, the colors involved, the placement, etc. If you're looking at the coins, and think "holy crap, that's beautiful", then chances are other people will say similar things. You first need to understand yourself and your tastes- do you prefer white coins? Do you like color? Only certain colors, or certain patterns? After looking at many toned sets or coins, you will begin to understand what brings a premium, and what doesn't. And then there is the whole AT/NT issue! image
    My style is impetuous, my defense is impregnable !
  • Options
    WoodwindWoodwind Posts: 486
    Hello and welcome aboard. image

Good advice from others so far which I'll take a step further.

Typically, if the coin reflects rainbow-like colors, whether red, blue, green, or some combination thereof, it could command more $$ for buyers interested in toned coins. If it's more of a dull color like brown or grey, it could very well lower the values.

Be careful of state quarters that my look a little too colorful or vibrant. They may be artificially toned, or AT. If you're concerned about future resale value, you will want to educate yourself as to tell the difference between an artificially toned coin, or natrually toned, (NT) coin. AT vs NT is not an exact science yet as you will see if you spend any amount of time on this forum.

Chances are that if a state quarter is already in a PCGS or NGC holder, it's naturally toned and "market acceptable." However, be aware that sellers will frequently charge much more than what a non-toned example would bring, so this is something you would need to educate yourself on and determine if you feel it's really worth the extra premium.

Again, beauty is in the eye of the beholder, so if you see something you think you would enjoy having in your collection, enjoy. Good luck.

Lurking proudly on internet forums since 2001
  • Options
    DorkGirlDorkGirl Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭
    Becky
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,333 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome aboard.

Some date mint and proof sets tone or tarnish very quickly. It's a good idea to keep a
    close eye on these to stop the process if it starts. All 1968 cents have at least small
    carbon spots now and about 95% have massive ugly spotting.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    wam98wam98 Posts: 2,685
    Wayne

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file